Sponsored

BREAKING: Jeep blocks TFL from posting Ike Gauntlet video.

Sgt Beavis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler UL Unlimited Sport S
So what's with the "Number of brake applications required" part early in the video?
They acted like it was something significant?
I cringed several times when the JT shifted at 6,000+ rpms. I know the test is brutal but dayum! :surprised:
The more you have to actuate your brakes, the more quickly they'll heat up. Which can lead to brake fade.

I think they were also trying to test the Jeeps ability to detect a towing load and shift the transmission appropriately as to rely on engine braking instead of the brakes themselves.
Sponsored

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
The more you have to actuate your brakes, the more quickly they'll heat up. Which can lead to brake fade.

I think they were also trying to test the Jeeps ability to detect a towing load and shift the transmission appropriately as to rely on engine braking instead of the brakes themselves.
Correct and it's really strange that the Gladiator required so many brake applications because on my JL Wrangler the transmission is programmed with an extremely aggressive engine braking calibration. It's almost to the point of being annoying.

Tortooga Custom Works

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladator Launch Edition | 2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited
I think this test was good. I'm not sure it's negative - it's the first Super IKE, and the truck did very well. It can't be compared to any other trucks numbers given how the test was done.

As a baseline - this was an excellent test. Also - how many of us are really going to be towing 7000 lbs, uphill at that altitude? I get that some will, but unfortunately the majority usually wins when it comes to engineering.

Sgt Beavis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler UL Unlimited Sport S
Correct and it's really strange that the Gladiator required so many brake applications because on my JL Wrangler the transmission is programmed with an extremely aggressive engine braking calibration. It's almost to the point of being annoying.
It’s not just the Wrangler. That 8speed is just good at doing that period. I had a Grand Cherokee with the same behavior. I appreciate it when driving I-70.
Sponsored