Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon, 2018 Mustang GT Convertible
Occupation
IT Nerd
Are those outdoor rated?
I'm assuming not since it does say "Always store plug indoors" on the tag connected to the cord. Probably because of the rotating assembly on the plug.

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Jetta TDI RIP, 89' Civic SI, 2019 Pacifica Hybrid, 2020 GLADIATOR SPORT S "GLADYS"

attworth

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜00 LR Disco II, ā€˜17 Toyota Sienna
If you use the pigtail, does the top of the Decked system keep water out of the factory outlet? My concern is that it would be constantly wet. Youā€™d also want some sort of weatherproof plug for your pigtail.

@theDECKEDguy what kind of structural losses are we looking at if we pop a hole in the ammo can? My understanding is the side support rails rest on the ammo can, but is the entire structure reliant on it?

boardthis74

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
IT Nerd
If you use the pigtail, does the top of the Decked system keep water out of the factory outlet? My concern is that it would be constantly wet. Youā€™d also want some sort of weatherproof plug for your pigtail.

@theDECKEDguy what kind of structural losses are we looking at if we pop a hole in the ammo can? My understanding is the side support rails rest on the ammo can, but is the entire structure reliant on it?
There's no seal to keep water out, but I see nothing that would direct a stream of water to the plug. Now spraying directly at it, or taking it through a car wash, you will definitely get it wet. Nice thing is, there's a button you have to push to turn that outlet on which also can only be turned on when ACC is on in the Jeep. My goal when I bought the decked system was to get a tonneau cover to keep the bed water tight, but seeing how much space decked takes up, I no longer see that as an option. Really hoping that the ACE Bed Rack or something similar makes a water tight tonneau that you can stack things on.

Sponsored

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Jetta TDI RIP, 89' Civic SI, 2019 Pacifica Hybrid, 2020 GLADIATOR SPORT S "GLADYS"
There's no seal to keep water out, but I see nothing that would direct a stream of water to the plug. Now spraying directly at it, or taking it through a car wash, you will definitely get it wet. Nice thing is, there's a button you have to push to turn that outlet on which also can only be turned on when ACC is on in the Jeep. My goal when I bought the decked system was to get a tonneau cover to keep the bed water tight, but seeing how much space decked takes up, I no longer see that as an option. Really hoping that the ACE Bed Rack or something similar makes a water tight tonneau that you can stack things on.
I'm waiting for a pace edwards retractable cover. Can stop in any position and can stack stuff on it.

boardthis74

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
IT Nerd
I'm waiting for a pace edwards retractable cover. Can stop in any position and can stack stuff on it.
That one won't work with decked though. The canister the bed rolls into won't fit between the top of the bed and the decked system. So unless they make one where the can sits higher, that wouldn't work here.

attworth

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for the info. My big fear here is that my kids will press the button without me knowing, and the receptacle being full of water. Iā€™m basically trying to decide whether to get the trail rail package or not. The bed rails plus the inverter makes it worthwhile for me, but Iā€™m definitely getting Decked. So itā€™s a conundrum.

Are you able to plug in and unplug the pigtail with the Decked installed?

The other thing Iā€™m considering is just busting a new hole in the bed above the Decked system for the factory plug. I wonder if thereā€™s enough slack in the wiring harness. Anybody care to take a peek down there and see for me?

OP
OP
Tortooga Custom Works

Tortooga Custom Works

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladator Launch Edition | 2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited
Thanks for the info. My big fear here is that my kids will press the button without me knowing, and the receptacle being full of water. Iā€™m basically trying to decide whether to get the trail rail package or not. The bed rails plus the inverter makes it worthwhile for me, but Iā€™m definitely getting Decked. So itā€™s a conundrum.

The other thing Iā€™m considering is just busting a new hole in the bed above the Decked system for the factory plug. I wonder if thereā€™s enough slack in the wiring harness. Anybody care to take a peek down there and see for me?
Thereā€™s slack, enough?... not sure. Iā€™ll measure exactly tomorrow.

You might be better off drilling a hole so water wonā€™t pool...

boardthis74

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
IT Nerd

Definitely not able to plug/unplug the pigtail with decked installed. I had to take off the hook on that side and use a jack to lift it high enough to barely get the plug in there. No way would I try to do that on a regular basis. If the flap over the plug wasn't there, then sure, but at that point, you're just as exposed as if you had the pigtail.

Moving the plug above the decked system might work if you didn't have rails. Just measures and the plug is about 4" and if there weren't those rails, there would be just barely that, but the metal isn't flat, so it'll look really bad especially with any kind of sealer you'd use to make sure water doesn't get back behind it.

For some reason I assumed that if the button was pushed, it would forget it's setting when the vehicle was turned off since it has to be on ACC or more to run. But just checked that too and sure enough. If someone pushed it and you didn't know. Every time you start the Jeep, that thing will be on and if prongs are bridged with water then poof, blown fuse. Hopefully it's dedicated and only affects that plug.

I've always had water tight tonneau covers in my trucks and figured I'd do the same here till I saw how high the decked system was. Really hoping someone makes a good tonneau that I can stack things on, or at least mount those cross bars to.

Sponsored

theDECKEDguy

Summit Sponsor (Level 3)
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tundra

I cannot tell you how well the DECKED system will protect the outlet. It is not designed to shield the outlet from rain water, but an open bed leaves the outlet vulnerable to water as well.

As to your question about the integrity being compromised, that is something that we cannot really determine. The bulk of the structural support comes from the center "vert", not the ammo can. As mentioned previously, a small hole drilled in the side of the ammo can could be fine, but we cannot guarantee that it will not crack or cause leaking. We have seen it done many times with the Toyota Tacoma, but this is not to say that it will work, or that we can promote this application. I wish that I could give you a definitive answer here, sorry for the round about.

attworth

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thank you @ralphjjr, @boardthis74 and @theDECKEDguy for your responses. This forum is awesome with how helpful and excited about this stuff everybody is.

My plan definitely includes Decked and probably Leitner. Iā€™ll probably still get the trail management package, but just maybe wonā€™t use the plug. I dunno, Iā€™ve still got time to think on it.

Ultimately Iā€™d like a soft zippered canopy to cover the Leitner rack, but Iā€™m not sure the juice is worth the squeeze in getting something custom made. My power management and gadget plans donā€™t currently include anything that absolutely needs 110V, but I definitely like that it was a factory option.

Sorry, last question I guess. How much room is there between the outlet and anything that would interfere with it opening (ammo can probably?) Iā€™m wondering if some sort of custom water proof box could be built around it with a pigtail coming out in front like has been discussed already. Iā€™m thinking like an exterior house outlet, but not that bulky or ugly.

OP
OP
Tortooga Custom Works

Tortooga Custom Works

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sorry, last question I guess. How much room is there between the outlet and anything that would interfere with it opening (ammo can probably?) Iā€™m wondering if some sort of custom water proof box could be built around it with a pigtail coming out in front like has been discussed already. Iā€™m thinking like an exterior house outlet, but not that bulky or ugly.
You mean with the decked installed, correct?

OP
OP
Tortooga Custom Works

Tortooga Custom Works

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
so I don't think there is enough room... here is an image we got in may, it's in this thread:
decked-jpg.jpg

I don't think there is much room there to do very much. That said, I don't know if I'd worry too much about it. I think that circuit can't draw a great deal of power, and it has a bunch of protections built in to it. One of which is - it can't be on without the ignition being on.

EDIT: someone who has the decked may be able to speak more intelligently about it.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.