Sponsored

DECKED detail video

Status
Not open for further replies.

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Jetta TDI RIP, 89' Civic SI, 2019 Pacifica Hybrid, 2020 GLADIATOR SPORT S "GLADYS"
The front two pockets we do not get for the JT are not wasted space since that space does not exist in the JT. But generally I agree there is "wasted" space in the Decked due to the shape of the drawers and their vertical support system.

I was very skeptical of this issue when I first installed my decked in the Power Wagon but in actuality I never really had much of an issue and hardly ever utilized both drawers to their full capacity. These drawers hold all sorts of small odd items that would typically have to be placed in various boxes and containers anyway. I found decked to be an actual space savings overall as most boxes filled with this type of junk are never completely full and would be too heavy in many situations. Plus, most of the odd boxes I have are all different sizes, have sloped sides, rarely nest perfectly in the bed (especially when dealing with the damn wheel wells), and they fail constantly when filled with heavy tools and recovery goodies. I found the decked top surface itself to be much more efficient in packing all my various boxes, duffels and coolers than in the bed of the truck itself because I no longer had the wheel wells to deal with every time I loaded up. I put all my tools and heavy items in the decked drawers and reserved the top surface for the relatively light camp gear, food containers, and coolers. Overall I am impressed with Decked durability which has far exceed any of the various bins and boxes I have destroyed over the decades.

Now that I have the JT I will be selling the Power Wagon. I will be removing the Decked from it and installing it in my 5x8 trailer for those more extended backcountry adventures. This I will setup as a kitchen and will install my stove and cook set permanently. I do plan to get another Decked for my JT as I really like how it contains and carries the heavy tools, Hi-lift, chains, and other get-unstuck odds and ends i tend to carry all the time.
i'll eventually get measurements of the jt box and the decked drawers to see how much space is lost. There's no one way that everybody will agree on, but i appreciate your insight.
Sponsored

theDECKEDguy

Summit Sponsor (Level 3)
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tundra
can you tell us the width and legth and depth of the 2 drawers that will be on the JT?
All of our drawers are standard sized. The short bed, mid-sized systems, will have two different sized drawers. One full sized drawer with dimensions of 53" long x 18" wide x 8.5" deep. The dimensions of the narrow drawer are 53" long x 11" wide x 8.5" deep.

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Jetta TDI RIP, 89' Civic SI, 2019 Pacifica Hybrid, 2020 GLADIATOR SPORT S "GLADYS"
All of our drawers are standard sized. The short bed, mid-sized systems, will have two different sized drawers. One full sized drawer with dimensions of 53" long x 18" wide x 8.5" deep. The dimensions of the narrow drawer are 53" long x 11" wide x 8.5" deep.
and the top of Deck is 12" above the floor right?

G8R

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon-solid white
Occupation
Medical Devices

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Sponsored

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
figures used:
Box length 60.3"
box height 17.5"
box width 55"
Distance between wheel arches 44.8"

(both drawers taper 1.25" narrower at the bottom, my match below doesn't account for this, giving the extra space to the drawers)
Decked drawer 1 - 53"x18"(at top)x8.5"
decked drawer 2 - 53"x11"(at top)x8.5"

Wheel arch dimensions 55"-44.8" x 8" (approximately)x 30" guess = 2,448 cu inch

Volumes:

jeep stated box volume 35.5 cu ft = 61,344 cu inch

my calculated box volume 60.3"x17.5"x55" - wheel archs = 58,038 - 2,448 = 55,590cu inch

Drawers 53"x29"x8.5" = 13,064 cu inch combined

Volume between drawers and tailgate (if you consider that usable space) = 60.3-56" x 12" x 55" = 1,300 cu inch

Volume above 12" deck (actually 12.19" according to their site so erring on their side again)= 60.3"x5.5"x55" = 18,240 cu inch

Usable space = 13,064 + 18,240 + 1,300 = 32,604 cu inch

Wasted space = 55,590 - 33,604 = 21,986 cu inch / 55,590 = 39.5% wasted volume 12.7 cubic feet! (this doesn't account for the 2 ammo boxes as they call them).

Either way if somebody can point to where my math is wrong, let me know and i'll fix, ~39.5% wasted box volume on a 5 foot box is not acceptable to me. I'm sure the decked drawers are awesome, but i gotta figure something else out for dry storage.

I know not everybody cares, but some people may find this interesting.

G8R

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon-solid white
Occupation
Medical Devices
figures used:

Either way if somebody can point to where my math is wrong, let me know and i'll fix, ~39.5% wasted box volume on a 5 foot box is not acceptable to me. I'm sure the decked drawers are awesome, but i gotta figure something else out for dry storage.
I don't think your math is off overall. One aspect I don't see accounted for is that we can't utilize 100% of the non-decked bed volume either. Our junk is not liquid obviously and is typically contained in boxes and duffels of various shapes and sizes that never perfectly nest or fill the bed space completely. Thus I would probably take off 10-15% from the empty volume. Regardless, your point is valid with a 20-30% reduction. The Decked system has significant dead volume and this poses a limitation certainly. In my Power Wagon I did not find this factor actually significant. In the smaller JT I bet you are right that this dead volume will be more significant. Just how much, I do not know. We could certainly build a plywood system that uses much more of the total capacity. But we still need to add the Dry design requirement which necessitates some sort of surface treatment and subsequent routine maintenance and/or purchase of a traditional shell (which I will add at some point when they are available). For me, I hope that the decked system's functional volume is sufficient for my needs. I believe that it will be. I am confident it will be for the weekend adventures.

But realistically the above is a false statement. Even the empty JT bed with a traditional shell is insufficient for the majority of the back country activities I pursue (hunting mostly for several weeks at a time). I effectively triple my volume by hauling in a 5x8 Big Tex trailer to base camp (I still have to flip the axle and I will likely pickup someone's reject Rubicon stock wheels and tires to put on this thing to give me more clearance and additional spares, of which I usually carry 2 anyway).

IMG_1309.jpg

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I don't think your math is off overall. One aspect I don't see accounted for is that we can't utilize 100% of the non-decked bed volume either. Our junk is not liquid obviously and is typically contained in boxes and duffels of various shapes and sizes that never perfectly nest or fill the bed space completely. Thus I would probably take off 10-15% from the empty volume. Regardless, your point is valid with a 20-30% reduction. The Decked system has significant dead volume and this poses a limitation certainly. In my Power Wagon I did not find this factor actually significant. In the smaller JT I bet you are right that this dead volume will be more significant. Just how much, I do not know. We could certainly build a plywood system that uses much more of the total capacity. But we still need to add the Dry design requirement which necessitates some sort of surface treatment and subsequent routine maintenance and/or purchase of a traditional shell (which I will add at some point when they are available). For me, I hope that the decked system's functional volume is sufficient for my needs. I believe that it will be. I am confident it will be for the weekend adventures.

But realistically the above is a false statement. Even the empty JT bed with a traditional shell is insufficient for the majority of the back country activities I pursue (hunting mostly for several weeks at a time). I effectively triple my volume by hauling in a 5x8 Big Tex trailer to base camp (I still have to flip the axle and I will likely pickup someone's reject Rubicon stock wheels and tires to put on this thing to give me more clearance and additional spares, of which I usually carry 2 anyway).

IMG_1309.jpg
Some good points, you're right we can't utilize 100% of the volume, power wagon probably doesn't matter as much cuz the bed is bigger. If you know you're taking a trailer than the convenience/functionality of the decked system for daily life, plus specific hauling to hunting camp is probably worth the 20+% space sacrifice.

There are pros-cons to each system somebody goes with. I look forward to your review of the Decked system for JT if you go that route.

Slapping_Rabbits

First Name
Nirzwan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep gladiator Rubicon, triumph rocket iii roadster
Is there a place to tie down a dog crate and a fridge that can plug into the outlet?

Sponsored

TheITGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E, 2021 Toyota Rav4 Limit
Is there a place to tie down a dog crate and a fridge that can plug into the outlet?
Unless they make a change to the design, the "ammo can" will likely block access to the outlet.

Slapping_Rabbits

First Name
Nirzwan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Unless they make a change to the design, the "ammo can" will likely block access to the outlet.
Ah yes I see that now. Im sure they'd take that into account though right? Seems like you could just put a flap in there so you can still use the plug or some other easy mod. Also I want to carry ammo but I don't want to carry any next to an outlet for obvious reasons.

Jeepznthingz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon LE GCM
Yea, the more videos I see, the more I think I will have a decked system too... check this one out, you can actually use them as coolers:

2019-04-12_18-31-28.png
2019-04-12_18-32-09.png
As a cooler the ice will melt within an hour, not very efficient....all black, gets extremely hot in summer...

Slapping_Rabbits

First Name
Nirzwan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Im wondering what I could actually get in the back with the decked in combination with an overland cap? Could you fit bikes in there or a big dog crate? A soft cap might work but then you lose the roof racks. If you put the mopar thule bars in right above the decked then you probably can't fit a lot on top and how would you carry plywood damnit?!

Jeepznthingz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon LE GCM
Im wondering what I could actually get in the back with the decked in combination with an overland cap? Could you fit bikes in there or a big dog crate? A soft cap might work but then you lose the roof racks. If you put the mopar thule bars in right above the decked then you probably can't fit a lot on top and how would you carry plywood damnit?!
Well....it’s a trade off.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.