OP
    ralphjjr

ralphjjr Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Ralph
    Vehicle(s):
    2014 Ford TC Titanium | 2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited
    Liked:
    Wait - but the spacer would have to be on the tailgate... right?

Technically, plywood would lay flat on the decked platform, with the tailgate in the 2nd open position. Just that the tailgate will be too low, so the weight of the plywood won’t stop it from sliding. You would just need to make sure to strap it down...

At least that’s what I see in my head...

steffen707 likes this.
  3. steffen707

steffen707 Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    2001 Jetta TDI RIP, 2010 Grand Caravan, 89' Civic SI, 2019 Pacifica Hybrid
    Liked:
    The spacer would have to be on the tailgate, But if the bed is 5' long, but the decked system is 4 or so inches back, that means only just over half is sitting on the Decked, if you strap it down it'll probably be fine, wouldn't want to drive home from Iowa like that.

TheITGuy likes this.
  4. steffen707

Vehicle(s):
    Liked:
    Something like this, has to be 5" tall. I'd think about putting a rivnut into the tailgate so i wouldn't have to worry about having weight on it to stay put. , if made out of PLYWOOD, you could then put eyelets into it to strap stuff down right onto the tailgate.

I'm not thinking of 8' long stuff, I'd want to be able to haul 12' stuff without having it fall out. I know with some kind of rack I could hang stuff out the front and wouldn't have to screw with the tailgate.......this might just be a temp fix.

upload_2019-5-16_21-43-41.png

Might be my first use of this tool i got for xmas.

71x2i8R7rZL._SL1500_.jpg

5. Dietruck

Dietruck Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Scott
    Vehicle(s):
    2013 Rubicon, 2014 Durango, 2004 Z06
    Liked:

This is what I was thinking

upload_2019-5-16_23-17-6.png

Make a wedge that fits between the decked system and tailgate. It should be able to get you 1 to 1.2 ft more supported length.

6. steffen707

Vehicle(s):
    Liked:
    Got an email from decked. They should be available through Mopar this fall.

7. steffen707

Vehicle(s):
    Liked:
    Are you asking about the drawers or the deck?

Deck can carry more than the payload raring of JT. Drawers rated for 200 lbs.

8. smlobx

smlobx Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Eddie
    Vehicle(s):
    2014 EcoDiesel, 2016 F-350
    Liked:
    The deck is rated at 2000 pounds

9. G8R

G8R Member

First Name:
    Chris
    Vehicle(s):
    2020 Gladiator Rubicon-solid white
    Liked:
    I have a Decked system in my 09 PowerWagon. I have had it for about 5 years now. It holds all my SHTF goods including Hi-Lift, Mud Chains, Shovels, straps, tools, axe, recovery stuff, etc. in the right drawer and what ever else I need to bring on any given adventure in the other. This heavy junk rode in that drawer very well. Drawers worked flawlessly. The only negative is that the locks were absolutely worthless. I could easily pull the drawers open with minimal hand pull pressure which bent the mechanism. I did this on the first day. I emailed Decked and they indicated they had a problem and were fixing it. They indicated they would have a solution in about 3 months and they would notify me and send me the upgrade. 6 months later I saw a post somewhere that they were shipping the fix out but they never contacted me. So I contacted them I got the cold shoulder even after providing them the email chain documenting that they would replace my locks. They refused. They wanted to charge me well over $100. I refused. Using the locks on my shell instead to "secure" the drawers. I had intended to install locks on my tailgate instead but never got around to it.

So, I am highly dissatisfied with their customer service. But I do like the box and drawers. They work. They are durable even when bouncing down rough roads for 5 years. Other than the locks I have had zero issues or problems. Would I get a system for my new Gladiator? Yes, I would. I called my local dealer today in fact. The dealer did not realize our new truck was out and did not know if Decked was shipping systems for the Gladiator or not. They called Decked. ETA is mid - late fall 2019. I will very likely buy another.

With my system I was also skeptical of the loss of volume due to their design but I can say it really never hurt me much. With the Gladiator our space is more limited so it may be a bigger limitation. But again I think i will buy this again.

IMG_0640.jpg

10. G8R

G8R Member

First Name:
    Chris
    Vehicle(s):
    Liked:
    Also, the small side "pockets" in each of the 4 corners perfectly fit the mud chains (35x12.5).

11. theDECKEDguy

theDECKEDguy Member
    Rock Sponsor (Level 1)

Vehicle(s):
    Tundra
    Liked:
    Hey, just came across your post. I want to thank you for being a customer. First, we are bummed to hear about your experience with the locks on your DECKED system. I do not know what happened with customer service, but we would be happy to send you a set of new locks for the system in your Power Wagon, along with some of our new accessories. Second, the Gladiator systems should be available through MOPAR any day now. They will be available via DECKED.com sometime in July.

Send us a private message with your contact info and we will get you those locks and some other accessories.

steffen707 and Jeepers! like this.
  12. steffen707

Vehicle(s):
    Liked:
    think the JT only gets 2 of the pockets. Seems like a lot of wasted space.

13. steffen707

Vehicle(s):
    Liked:
    can you tell us the width and legth and depth of the 2 drawers that will be on the JT?

14. G8R

G8R Member

First Name:
    Chris
    Vehicle(s):
    Liked:
    The front two pockets we do not get for the JT are not wasted space since that space does not exist in the JT. But generally I agree there is "wasted" space in the Decked due to the shape of the drawers and their vertical support system.

I was very skeptical of this issue when I first installed my decked in the Power Wagon but in actuality I never really had much of an issue and hardly ever utilized both drawers to their full capacity. These drawers hold all sorts of small odd items that would typically have to be placed in various boxes and containers anyway. I found decked to be an actual space savings overall as most boxes filled with this type of junk are never completely full and would be too heavy in many situations. Plus, most of the odd boxes I have are all different sizes, have sloped sides, rarely nest perfectly in the bed (especially when dealing with the damn wheel wells), and they fail constantly when filled with heavy tools and recovery goodies. I found the decked top surface itself to be much more efficient in packing all my various boxes, duffels and coolers than in the bed of the truck itself because I no longer had the wheel wells to deal with every time I loaded up. I put all my tools and heavy items in the decked drawers and reserved the top surface for the relatively light camp gear, food containers, and coolers. Overall I am impressed with Decked durability which has far exceed any of the various bins and boxes I have destroyed over the decades.

Now that I have the JT I will be selling the Power Wagon. I will be removing the Decked from it and installing it in my 5x8 trailer for those more extended backcountry adventures. This I will setup as a kitchen and will install my stove and cook set permanently. I do plan to get another Decked for my JT as I really like how it contains and carries the heavy tools, Hi-lift, chains, and other get-unstuck odds and ends i tend to carry all the time.

steffen707 likes this.
  15. G8R

G8R Member

First Name:
    Chris
    Vehicle(s):
    Liked:
    My full time inventory in the right drawer alone (going off memory here so I may have missed a few items):

5’ Hi Lift Jack
    Hydraulic Jack
    Star Lug Wrench
    Shovel
    Air Compressor
    Tool box (30 cal ammo can)
    Jumper Cables
    Snatch Block
    Tree Strap
    30 foot 2.5” Strap
    4 Shackles
    Rubber Rain Jacket
    Roll of bailing wire
    Roll of duct tape
    4-3/4” x 4’ Rebar (for making winch anchors)
    Some retired climbing gear (to daisy chain the rebar)
    3 lb hammer
    Cum-along
    Flat repair Kit
    Mud Chain Tensioners

With the mud chains in the corner pockets I usually had the left drawer empty and available for what ever the current adventure called for. Usually the cook gear or rifle cases if I was hunting.