First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR 6MT
Occupation
Nurse
actually gets better mileage than 2,000rpm (anecdotal observation, don't attack).
No attack, I've noticed the same. I quit using 6th gear in my normal commute to work and my average MPG went up by almost 2mpg. After that observation, I was sold. I'm in a stock JTR with the Falken MTs and I only shift into 6th if I'm over 70 or over 65 and I expect to be cruising at that speed for quite a while and it's relatively flat.

I currently have 35's sitting in the garage waiting to go on and will probably run the stock gears for a bit but plan on 4.88's in the future. This engine loves to spin; quit lugging it and you'll be happier.
Sponsored

BGH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 jeep gladiator
Occupation
Finance
That’s good to hear too! I was looking at getting a taco long bed but was bummed when they didn’t offer it with a manual. I figured if I was going short bed I’d rather have the gladiator.
The auto transmission on the taco is awful. The truck itself drives huge and clumsy compared to the gladiator. Super slow steering which will eventually irritate you. I was also scared to drag it’s belly on the rocks which I really needed to do at one point. Plastic gas tank skid and all.

redriderjf87

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
saltmustflow.com
Vehicle(s)
'21 JT, '81 Z-28, '18 TW200, '72 CT 175
Occupation
Electrical Controls Engineer
I wish there was a ratio between 4.10 and 4.56, maybe like a 4.30. ideally I'd like 6th to be geared where 5th is on 3.73s, which is about 4.20.

So 4.56 it is. Never fear the gear.

lppd45

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon M/T, 1966 Deville convertible, 2013 Jetta TDI M/T, 2003 Road King, and 2016 CVO Street Glide
Occupation
Retired
I have a JTR with 35's. The gearing is ok for the tire size but if you're going bigger than that you may want to re-gear. That being said I love my M/T and have no regrets. I hope you enjoy yours as much as I do.

OP
OP

Dusty Rag

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Gladiator
Just got my gladiator yesterday and wanted to give my initial thoughts. After driving around in it a bit I think the MT and 4.10 gearing is perfect in this truck with 33s. Reverse seems fairly standard to modern day manuals. I really like the gear spread and shift points are where I’d expect. Shifts are also very smooth and precise. It really feels like a normal 5 speed when it comes to gearing. 6th is good for keeping speed on flat/downhill highway sections at 70+. Which is actually really nice. I used to always want to coast in neutral with previous vehicles on down hill sections but then you’d be slowly slowing down. Having 6th takes care of that. The 3.6 definitely likes to spin a little bit faster than the old 4.0s I was used to. Shifts are at about 2100rpm and feel natural. Despite what I’ve read about the clutch, I think it is really nice. It engages slowly from as soon as I start letting off the pedal to about half way up then it bites pretty hard. This is where I think a heavy weight flywheel would really shine. IMO the clutch feel is great and more modern. Its just that the 3.6 needs a little help to keep from falling on its face. I think the reason people don’t “feel” the clutch starting to grab is because the engine isn’t transferring its rotational speed into forward momentum but rather just slowing the engine down and stalling. So I really don’t think this is an issue with the torque of the 3.6 but rather the light flywheel. Just needs a little more mass to keep that engine spinning. I’ve noticed on cold starts when the rpm’s are up a bit that the Jeep doesn’t have any issue starting off. Only after it’s warmed up and at normal idle. Right now when starting from a complete stop I just give it a little pop of gas as I’m letting the clutch out and that takes care of it. I’m already pretty much used to it after the few drives I’ve done. 4lo needs no gas input at all and feels awesome. I can’t wait to get it out on the trail!
Thanks everyone for all of your inputs! I’m definitely glad I went manual!

1C59F8A9-48E9-444A-AC04-1AACF8F36B6F.jpeg

Sponsored

NachoRuby

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTR , '18 JLU, 73 VW Bug, 97 VW Jetta, all MTs
Just got my gladiator yesterday and wanted to give my initial thoughts. After driving around in it a bit I think the MT and 4.10 gearing is perfect in this truck with 33s. Reverse seems fairly standard to modern day manuals. I really like the gear spread and shift points are where I’d expect. Shifts are also very smooth and precise. It really feels like a normal 5 speed when it comes to gearing. 6th is good for keeping speed on flat/downhill highway sections at 70+. Which is actually really nice. I used to always want to coast in neutral with previous vehicles on down hill sections but then you’d be slowly slowing down. Having 6th takes care of that. The 3.6 definitely likes to spin a little bit faster than the old 4.0s I was used to. Shifts are at about 2100rpm and feel natural. Despite what I’ve read about the clutch, I think it is really nice. It engages slowly from as soon as I start letting off the pedal to about half way up then it bites pretty hard. This is where I think a heavy weight flywheel would really shine. IMO the clutch feel is great and more modern. Its just that the 3.6 needs a little help to keep from falling on its face. I think the reason people don’t “feel” the clutch starting to grab is because the engine isn’t transferring its rotational speed into forward momentum but rather just slowing the engine down and stalling. So I really don’t think this is an issue with the torque of the 3.6 but rather the light flywheel. Just needs a little more mass to keep that engine spinning. I’ve noticed on cold starts when the rpm’s are up a bit that the Jeep doesn’t have any issue starting off. Only after it’s warmed up and at normal idle. Right now when starting from a complete stop I just give it a little pop of gas as I’m letting the clutch out and that takes care of it. I’m already pretty much used to it after the few drives I’ve done. 4lo needs no gas input at all and feels awesome. I can’t wait to get it out on the trail!
Thanks everyone for all of your inputs! I’m definitely glad I went manual!

1C59F8A9-48E9-444A-AC04-1AACF8F36B6F.jpeg
Any time you want to hit up Rausch or AOAA let me know! Agree 100% on all points. I'm on 35s, so I'm considering regearing, but who knows if it'll ever happen. Just so expensive, and I have kids that are even more expensive! Don't get me wrong, it's ok on 35s with 4.1, but 5.13 would be great with the bigger tires.

I don't have stalling issues with the light flywheel, but when I think about it, I always put an aftermarket light flywheel in my manuals before, so I've grown accustomed to it over the years. The jeep one feels heavy compared to some I've owned.

OP
OP

Dusty Rag

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Gladiator
Any time you want to hit up Rausch or AOAA let me know! Agree 100% on all points. I'm on 35s, so I'm considering regearing, but who knows if it'll ever happen. Just so expensive, and I have kids that are even more expensive! Don't get me wrong, it's ok on 35s with 4.1, but 5.13 would be great with the bigger tires.

I don't have stalling issues with the light flywheel, but when I think about it, I always put an aftermarket light flywheel in my manuals before, so I've grown accustomed to it over the years. The jeep one feels heavy compared to some I've owned.
Thanks for the invite! Let me know if you’re planning a trip!

Chaos Theory

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
It's not just the tire size upgrade that matters, but the tire size upgrade AND the new heavy steel bumpers, winch, skid plates, etc that makes 4.10 sluggish. The fact that I can't really use 6th gear anymore has me thinking 4.56 will be in my near future. ...along with a new clutch since Jeep can't seem to figure out the fix.

OP
OP

Dusty Rag

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Gladiator
It's not just the tire size upgrade that matters, but the tire size upgrade AND the new heavy steel bumpers, winch, skid plates, etc that makes 4.10 sluggish. The fact that I can't really use 6th gear anymore has me thinking 4.56 will be in my near future. ...along with a new clutch since Jeep can't seem to figure out the fix.
Agree 100%
I drove around in 4th (which would be worse than switching to 4.88s) for a bit and mileage was just fine. I’m planning to go that gear set and Centerforce clutch. Keeping stock 33s too.

Nuclear_Inc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
OP congrats on the new Jeep! I'm happy you enjoy the stock clutch. The 4.10 gearing MT isn't as bad as 3.73 JT's. If your seriously considering improving you Jeep. I highly recommend Center Force II kit in the near term future. It's like having a whole new vehicle. No need to use gas to roll out of a stop or even stall in reverse on inclines. Good Luck and enjoy your new Jeep.
Sponsored