Sponsored

Delete push button start, go back to keyed ignition? The rfid brick has to go...

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
OP

Jt-wrx

First Name
Blake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 sport s 6spd
i'm kind of surprised we still have boots and shoes with laces ;)
Sponsored

OP
OP

Jt-wrx

First Name
Blake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 sport s 6spd
Key fob is serving a higher master, don't become an evolutionary data point
Darwin_celebrates______ani-145.gif
oh, a bunch of people are definitely going to become one of these, just maybe not the ones you think

Factoid

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator 2019 Porsche Cayenne 1964 Corvette
Occupation
Performance Coach
Amen! In 2004 I moved to London and was told I had one year to get a UK drivers license. Then I learned what that entailed!

No American can pass this very comprehensive test. In fact, if you want to even have a chance, you hire an instructor, have a big “L” sign placed in your car, and hope you can pass. I decided to simply take the chance that I wouldn’t get caught, particularly after I was told that the Brits say the “L” stands for Learner, but the Americans all said it stands for Loser.

OP
OP

Jt-wrx

First Name
Blake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 sport s 6spd
One thing is fo sho...my rig will not be lost due to rfid hack only, bad guy gonna need the real deal skills.

If I find a way to eliminate rfid altogether I’ll be spreading the love, promise. This Jeep is mine 100%, finest steed to come along in as long as I can remember. She’ll be worth the effort.

Klutch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1986 Jeep Comanche, 2000 Jeep Cherokee

Sponsored

sass JT

Banned
Banned
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
MWD
Based on the comparison pictures, it really doesn't appear to be much smaller than the factory FOB. Or, am I missing something?
yeah, you can say it’s about the same size, but for me it’s lighter, the key doesn’t pop out and dig into my junk anymore and I was using a silicone cover(on the right) that added a bunch of girth to my fob.

I really like my ajt designs unit.

A2F6133A-020B-4EEB-9123-3CE9B63314CD.jpeg

Uparms

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JT, 2020 JT, 72 CJ5,2005 LJ, 2002 TJ, 92 YJ
Vehicle Showcase
Back to the OPs initial post.... If we can't do away with the RFIP or whatever we call these, perhaps the aftermarket could come out with a new switch that requires both the RFIP and the Key at the same time, inserted. I like his concern and suggestion.

I still don''t know when my car will stall when someone drives away without a key. That would be a nice number to program in devices like the Tazer.

The hey is handy that I can leave the car running while I unlock the garage and house door and unload supplies and then park the car in it's spot.

OP
OP

Jt-wrx

First Name
Blake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 sport s 6spd
my previous truck (2014) ram, had a slide to detach the keys so you could do this, in any vehicle without that previous, my keys attached by some sort of snap ring, small carabiner, or whatever so that i could leave running, lock door behind me etc. i see this isn't an option on stock fob or ajt so i'll rig something like that, even for service work, they can have the fob but i need to detach my keys and take with me, i like thinks pocket friendly so keep them small and light, those lanyards for keys that are often handed out as merch at work or sporting events etc. they have a simple snap made of spring steel that weighs nothing, compact, i usually use things like that in this case, dead reliable, the push button swivel types are not so reliable and too bulky

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
That is still WAY too large.
I prefer something about the size of the WJ fob - on the other hand, this has more functionality and I'd bet a lot more range. To get range, it takes more power and better antenna. I wonder if that's the reason for the size (aside from the silly key storage)
It has a lot better response distance than anything else I've owned (save for my wife's Grand Cherokee, perhaps) and it should be water resistant.
I suppose the battery POWER, antenna, water resistance, etc. takes some size - but these days, what can be miniaturized is amazing.
Maybe they need some new EE's?

Sponsored

Hootbro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
That is still WAY too large.
Have you actually held one or just going off internet picture looks? I have the AJT fob and found it fits in the hand way better than the OEM brick fob.

fob-jpg.jpg

busstees

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gator Gladiator Overland, 2011 e93M3
I love push button starts, but I don't like not having a place to put the key. In my other car (a M3), it has a push button start, but it also has a nice little slot above the button that you can click the key into as well so it can stay there while your driving. I've accidentally walked away from my Gladiator 3 times now not realize my key was still sitting on the dash.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
I love push button starts, but I don't like not having a place to put the key. In my other car (a M3), it has a push button start, but it also has a nice little slot above the button that you can click the key into as well so it can stay there while your driving. I've accidentally walked away from my Gladiator 3 times now not realize my key was still sitting on the dash.
Uh, that slot between the cup holders - that's for the fob. Not that you can't get out and leave the fob in the fob slot, but there's a specific place for it. Between where your coffee cup and beer can go.

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase
That's why mine only comes out of my pocket to unlock the gas cap.

Status
Not open for further replies.