Sponsored

Delete push button start, go back to keyed ignition? The rfid brick has to go...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slapping_Rabbits

First Name
Nirzwan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep gladiator Rubicon, triumph rocket iii roadster
Exactly! This is why when i hear people say "i won't get a self driving car ever. I don't trust those things" it makes me laugh. They are often the people that need them the most. My sister said they got a lady in the ER the other day that had hit someone and they were on the hood and windshield but she didn't see it because she only had 20% vision in one eye and 0% in the other. WTF!
Sponsored

busstees

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gator Gladiator Overland, 2011 e93M3
Exactly! This is why when i hear people say "i won't get a self driving car ever. I don't trust those things" it makes me laugh. They are often the people that need them the most. My sister said they got a lady in the ER the other day that had hit someone and they were on the hood and windshield but she didn't see it because she only had 20% vision in one eye and 0% in the other. WTF!
Funny thing is, if everyone had a self driving car then there would probably be no accidents or traffic. If all of the vehicles could talk to each other it would just be seamless driving everywhere.

OP
OP

Jt-wrx

First Name
Blake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 sport s 6spd
Funny thing is, if everyone had a self driving car then there would probably be no accidents or traffic. If all of the vehicles could talk to each other it would just be seamless driving everywhere.
You're right, they'd all be parked. No accidents, no traffic, may as well get out and walk. ;)

Slapping_Rabbits

First Name
Nirzwan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You're right, they'd all be parked. No accidents, no traffic, may as well get out and walk. ;)
Wait are you saying by the time we all have self driving cars we won't have anywhere to go or that we'll realize we need more exercise and will just walk everywhere?

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase
This is how it will eventually be done, but it will take at least 30 years to get the infrastructure in place to do it. Some people will then be moving to the more remote areas so they can still drive the car instead of having the car drive them.

Sponsored

Slapping_Rabbits

First Name
Nirzwan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
This is how it will eventually be done, but it will take at least 30 years to get the infrastructure in place to do it. Some people will then be moving to the more remote areas so they can still drive the car instead of having the car drive them.
Wow so people would give up everything just to have a car that they can drive themselves? Seems extreme.

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase
Wow so people would give up everything just to have a car that they can drive themselves? Seems extreme.
Look at history, and how people think and behave. There will always be a segment of the population that are viewed as extreme. My sister lives out in the middle of nowhere. She purposefully moved out there to 'get away from people'.

busstees

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I dunno man. Some days Maryland traffic on 695/95 makes me contemplate being ok with never having to drive again.

Slapping_Rabbits

First Name
Nirzwan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I dunno man. Some days Maryland traffic on 695/95 makes me contemplate being ok with never having to drive again.
You do that daily?! I have to do that every once in awhile but I always dread it. Same when I have to drop into dc or northern Virginia. It's a nightmare. There's constant accidents and construction and it doesn't even seem to matter what time of the day or night anymore.

busstees

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You do that daily?! I have to do that every once in awhile but I always dread it. Same when I have to drop into dc or northern Virginia. It's a nightmare. There's constant accidents and construction and it doesn't even seem to matter what time of the day or night anymore.
I do a short span of 695 daily and even that drives me nuts. Northern VA is a whole other level of awfulness when it comes to construction. I hit a 1 hour delay at 3am once. It never makes any sense.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Jt-wrx

First Name
Blake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 sport s 6spd
Wait are you saying by the time we all have self driving cars we won't have anywhere to go or that we'll realize we need more exercise and will just walk everywhere?
I'm saying good luck getting them all to talk to one another and get everyone where they need to go. One error, malfunction, breakdown along the way and they'll all come to a halt.

One thing is sure, it will be fun watching it develop. How they assign ownership and liabilities, who owns the car, who was actually responsible for it while it was in motion and should it be involved in an accident etc. I'm sorry judge but about 25 different people through several organizations were operating my car, or had access to operate my car, at the time of the accident, i was not in control. Insurance companies also go after who? Public transit for those who don't want to drive, those who don't want the responsibility of operating 2 ton machines among us, those who don't want control, those who don't want to actually do the work to pass a proper driving test, those who want to be as easy as turning on their phone. It sounds like people want their own person bus, or limo driver, driver etc. That should cost a pretty penny. Hope that cost goes directly to those who want to remove the liabilities involved in transportation in two ton machines through our society. This is a monumental slippery slope and we've already started the slide...craziness. Big picture lost completely.

Slapping_Rabbits

First Name
Nirzwan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'm saying good luck getting them all to talk to one another and get everyone where they need to go. One error, malfunction, breakdown along the way and they'll all come to a halt.

One thing is sure, it will be fun watching it develop. How they assign ownership and liabilities, who owns the car, who was actually responsible for it while it was in motion and should it be involved in an accident etc. I'm sorry judge but about 25 different people through several organizations were operating my car, or had access to operate my car, at the time of the accident, i was not in control. Insurance companies also go after who? Public transit for those who don't want to drive, those who don't want the responsibility of operating 2 ton machines among us, those who don't want control, those who don't want to actually do the work to pass a proper driving test, those who want to be as easy as turning on their phone. It sounds like people want their own person bus, or limo driver, driver etc. That should cost a pretty penny. Hope that cost goes directly to those who want to remove the liabilities involved in transportation in two ton machines through our society. This is a monumental slippery slope and we've already started the slide...craziness. Big picture lost completely.
Ha the insurance companies and manufacturers won't take any responsibility and will have the laws written in a way that makes it so. It makes me wonder just how different things would be in this country if we didn't let the car companies dismantle the train system.

busstees

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

I disagree. The big picture is less traffic, less driver error causing accidents, less polution, etc. Sure there will be accidents from time to time, but it will pale in comparison to the daily accidents I see now due to people driving distracted.

Slapping_Rabbits

First Name
Nirzwan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thats the long term plan hopefully. Also why would the cars talking to each other be a big holdup? They already got a lot of that worked out.

I almost t-boned a cop this morning. It was close. I was pretty tired and a bit sleep deprived and it was a blind left turn with me not paying attention. I pulled over next to him after he stopped to see if he was alright and he seemed a bit shaken up. I got off with a "be more careful next time" and i feel pretty lucky. This probably wouldn't have happened with a self driving car with a lot of sensors.

OP
OP

Jt-wrx

First Name
Blake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 sport s 6spd
Thats the long term plan hopefully. Also why would the cars talking to each other be a big holdup? They already got a lot of that worked out.

I almost t-boned a cop this morning. It was close. I was pretty tired and a bit sleep deprived and it was a blind left turn with me not paying attention. I pulled over next to him after he stopped to see if he was alright and he seemed a bit shaken up. I got off with a "be more careful next time" and i feel pretty lucky. This probably wouldn't have happened with a self driving car with a lot of sensors.
I'm totally ok with safety and things that increase it. At some point when an individual human being enters a two ton machine to pilot it...it should be the immediate recognition of that individual human being what they are about to do, the actual reality, big picture, of exactly that. There is argument the more nannies, aids, etc. we add the more complacent the operator is allowed to become. Distracted driving may be the result of our increased desire for this complacency or is it simply losing site and focus of what driving actually means? I'm on the latter side of things. Smart phones sure mess with this as we'd rather be nose deep in that than worry about piloting a 2 ton machine through public spaces. We can argue all day the semantics of one vs the other. I love the manual transmission for a reason maybe not talked about a lot...it engages me more to the drive, more focus, the easier we make it the worse it can get? I say it over and over, half the people on the road didn't have to pass the same test i did. When or how do we get back to a state of understanding that i was taught? The one where you are federally granted the privilege to operate 2 ton machines through public spaces because of your due diligence in passing the written and driving tests over a number of years of training? Now people just want this given as a 'right' as long as you buy an app so to speak(all the nannies/aids etc.) so they don't actually have to have the skills required to pilot a 2 ton machine through public spaces. Anyway, half the people who read this will not like me as they are the half that should maybe be taking the bus as they don't want to driving to be a privilege. When i get behind the wheel all my senses are heightened, it's a big deal piloting 2 ton machines through public spaces. We're trying to remove the obvious, we're trying to sweep it under the carpet. It's what we do. We want but we want without the responsibility. So is that what we're trying to do here?

Trying to turn this into a right rather than an earned privileged? I've joked for awhile that prius drivers don't need a license...one comes in the glove box with every purchase. Anyway, as i said, there's some big picture stuff missing in this whole automobile thing. It's a scary slippery slope imo. Pretty soon you'll be able to get a license in the bottom of a cereal box.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.