Sponsored

Delete push button start, go back to keyed ignition? The rfid brick has to go...

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
I can tell you one reason there are more pedestrians and cyclist accidents here - at least in part - they are making more stupid pedestrians and bicyclists. Seriously, going up hills on winding, curving, hilly rural roads bike riders riding three abreast after being told the LAW is single file, no double, no triple, no 4 across. And yet that's what you see. After 5 miles of s
In town the joggers are total idiots - jogging against lights, fighting their way through the normal foot traffic as if they have more rights and everyone else should get out of their way.
Don't lay it ALL on the drivers - it's often as much on the foot traffic paying more attention to their phones or jogging than to their own safety.
We say "drive defensively" and everyone should - yes, absolutely - drive as if the rest of the world is not just crazy, but sociopath as well, but people need to ride bikes within laws and rules, and walk defensively, too - as if all drivers are in some crazed video game and each person they hit is worth 5,000 points.
Just try driving through my area in the middle of summer during full bike season - it will test the most patient person.

What we seem to have is a culmination of factors - adding up of "my rights trump all other rights, I have the right to be stupid, I have the right to use my phone and walk aimlessly through town and ignore lights and turning traffic and turning buses, I have the right to put on makeup while driving, I have the right to look at my newspaper or respond to a text...... you get the idea.
Add in market factors - to make a profit and keep the stock holders happy like me - so I can keep my 401K moving along - you have to turn a profit. To do that you have to sell product, To do that you have to be more attractive than the other guy - and have with consumers want. So you study - and you study, and you hire experts, and the studies show that people want simple, they don't want to have to think or work for anything. Queen nailed it, although it was aimed at a different topic - I want it all and I want it now. Look at us, this thing PARKS ALL BY ITSELF! HOW COOL IS THAT!!!!!!!! WOW!! And it sells like crazy. Now even a moron can go to town and park - uh, have their car park for them.

Ya ain't gonna fix it, The world has spoken and unfortunately, smarts and hard work don't matter any more.
Used to be those who drove knew how the thing worked. You had to be mechanically inclined, work a spark advance, choke, and more.
(on hindsight - maybe I should have left the manual chokes and ratchet shifter in my 73 - total theft deterrent. Good luck starting it and if you got help getting that far - HAHAHAHA - good luck figuring out the ratchet shift mechanism! (a reverse valve body would have been fun, too)
Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
oops - nearly forgot - so far, most people HATE the idea of self-driving cars, and those who have used the auto functions of the Teslas - total idiots, crash and burn. It's a dumb idea, stupid. I HATE the idea of self-driving cars. Take the damn bus!!!!!!!!

OP
OP

Jt-wrx

First Name
Blake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 sport s 6spd
oops - nearly forgot - so far, most people HATE the idea of self-driving cars, and those who have used the auto functions of the Teslas - total idiots, crash and burn. It's a dumb idea, stupid. I HATE the idea of self-driving cars. Take the damn bus!!!!!!!!
Lol, I hear ya, and the cyclists here in the frozen north get out in droves for the short season, same thing you experience. This odd thing we do, forget the big picture, they forget they are the little guy(200 lbs including bike and zero barriers) and somehow feel security behind laws when the big picture is half those two ton cruise missles they are sharing the road with are piloted by unqualified people likely nose deep in their phones as they too have trivialized to death something far more serious than they think. I road biked for one season, I want nothing to do with bicycles on the roads, you take your life in your own hands and in all things with 2 wheels with or without motors or 4 legs, i have never hurt myself as much as i did on that damn road bike in one season. 200 lbs vs 5000 lbs and with double the speed potentials to boot. Like mixing oil and water.

Also hear your point of making it more difficult to operate vehicles to really thin the herd of capable competent drivers. Not sure where the balance should lie? I’m for tech that helps, maybe back up plan type stuff, but we are doing things wrong primarily on the drivers license end of things and trying to compensate what the masses want...easier, if not zero input, driving. It’s clear we aren’t throwing enough tech to get out of own way on this so the problem goes much deeper and I keep going back to the big picture. We like to ignore it, sweep it under the carpet, be complacent out serious things etc.

And it all started with rfid push button start and a pound of butter size fob.

Last edited:

Slapping_Rabbits

First Name
Nirzwan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep gladiator Rubicon, triumph rocket iii roadster
Also don't forget that more and more people are riding and commutting with bikes and other things like electric bikes, electric skateboards, scooters, etc. The actual number of accidents might be going up but the percent might not if you consider the larger amount of people participating in these activities. Towns have a hard time adapting to this. My town tried to put a bike lane in and drivers could deal with it. The first weekend it was open there was a fatality and the guy on the bike was in the bike lane but got hit anyways. I can tell you when i'm in DC and trying to get around on my onewheel, its really hard to safely stay on the road, which i'm supposed to be doing. Plus, the roads are just crap. The rise in alternative vehicle commuters has been happening for some time and towns and cities are just not dealing well with it. Combine that with distracted drivers and well, you are going to have problems.

Willys2Gladiator

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
Vehicle Showcase
Ok. Crazy idea. I'm the same guy who posted about ordering a Sport with roll-up windows. Wish I could have ordered touch screen delete but I digress.
I'm thinking with my basic Sport model taking the second fob and removing the key and have my buddies at a local machine shop add a round end to make it a regular key. Then stash the second away hidden in the Jeep.

Would this work using the modified key like we all grew up and remember? Un lock and push start button. No fob in pocket or hand.

Thoughts?

Sponsored

OP
OP

Jt-wrx

First Name
Blake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 sport s 6spd
Yup, it would work, tue downside is anyone can get in and start it, if you have the doors off etc. So this is where I though a hidden kill switch would back you up.

takes a few solutions to get around it eh? Where as the original solution was the best, a key to begin with.✌

OP
OP

Jt-wrx

First Name
Blake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 sport s 6spd
So met a few friends on saturday night out, warm enough, no jacket, guess what's in the front pocket of my jeans? Well, the girls were likely excited but i found it beyond annoying...even with the ajt designs fob. What a ridiculous contraption this fob is.

'hey, are you happy to see me or do you just own a new jeep?' :clap:

Last edited:

bgenlvtex

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
So met a few friends on saturday night out, warm enough, no jacket, guess what's in the front pocket of my jeans? Well, the girls were likely excited but i found it beyond annoying...even with the alt-j designs fob. What a ridiculous contraption this fob is.

You have identified your problem, but it isn't your key fob
s-l1000.jpg

OP
OP

Jt-wrx

First Name
Blake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 sport s 6spd
Lol, i can get my metro on when i need to. Chicks dig it.:CWL:

I'm just not a cargo shorts socks in flip flops kind of dad.

Jeep, you a-holes, fix this fob please.

Slapping_Rabbits

First Name
Nirzwan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep gladiator Rubicon, triumph rocket iii roadster
So met a few friends on saturday night out, warm enough, no jacket, guess what's in the front pocket of my jeans? Well, the girls were likely excited but i found it beyond annoying...even with the alt-j designs fob. What a ridiculous contraption this fob is.

so...like, yours looks like the key fob? Is that your original one?

Sponsored

OP
OP

Jt-wrx

First Name
Blake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 sport s 6spd
the ajt designs fob sorry, mixed up with a band lol, no i'm running the ajt designs fob which is a bit smaller and lighter than factory fob and it's still way too big, smaller is the direction these should be going, not bigger

either way, when you haven't got your jacket or your purse lol...girls will know you're either excited to see them or you drive a new jeep:giggle:

bgenlvtex

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
the ajt designs fob sorry, mixed up with a band lol, no i'm running the ajt designs fob which is a bit smaller and lighter than factory fob and it's still way too big, smaller is the direction these should be going, not bigger

either way, when you haven't got your jacket or your purse lol...girls will know you're either excited to see them or you drive a new jeep:giggle:
I got some bad news for you buddy, if your unit is the size of a key fob nobody is going to be impressed.

OP
OP

Jt-wrx

First Name
Blake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 sport s 6spd
it's a combined thing, i thought you'd understand ;)

some like to show off, others more humble lol, don't need the extra help jeep but thanks anyway, i see others don't mind though

jsyn

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gobi Gladiator Rubicon
Build Thread
Link

But the AJT design DOES get the JT keyfob down to what I define as the "maximum allowable size"... it allows it to fit in the 5th pocket of my jeans. Any larger than that is where I call bullshit. Get that thing out or your regular pocket and into your watch job pocket and you won't be disappointing so many ladies at the club, lol

What's interesting to me is the magnet that allows you to start the car even when the keyfob is dead, by holding the dead keyfob against the button as you press it. When you moved all the electronics from your factory keyfob over to your AJT Designs keyfob, you also moved over a tiny black magnet. I tested it, and if I carry just the physical key (to open the door) and that minuscule little magnet (to press up against the start/stop button when I turn the car on) I can unlock and run my JT without any electronic keyfob whatsoever.

I'm seriously debating making a tiny package of just a physical key (with that tiny magnet epoxied to it) for when I'm hiking, trail running, skiing, mountain biking, etc, i.e. when I want the smallest keyfob package possible and want to still be able to use my Jeep even if I accidentally fall in a creek or get caught in a thunderstorm

OP
OP

Jt-wrx

First Name
Blake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 sport s 6spd
This is interesting, i wonder if any magnet will do it? Wouldn't that be something. I like the direction you're headed. I have a few keys i always have on a snap to detach from fob when leaving with a dealer or other installer or service people so i took the factory fob key, left it on it's pinned ring, ground the pinned ring flatter and put on my keychain portion. I don't have the back plate on the ajt since there's no key there. Anyway, i have been frying bigger fish but that push button start will get all of my attention one day...i like your idea alot. I could live without power locks and use the key and touch the button no problem, or just a basic alarm tied into the locks so you end up with a reasonable size fob. Hmmm
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.