Sponsored

Delete push button start, go back to keyed ignition? The rfid brick has to go...

Status
Not open for further replies.

jebiruph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL 2019 Cherokee KL 2020 Gladiator JT
But the AJT design DOES get the JT keyfob down to what I define as the "maximum allowable size"... it allows it to fit in the 5th pocket of my jeans. Any larger than that is where I call bullshit. Get that thing out or your regular pocket and into your watch job pocket and you won't be disappointing so many ladies at the club, lol

What's interesting to me is the magnet that allows you to start the car even when the keyfob is dead, by holding the dead keyfob against the button as you press it. When you moved all the electronics from your factory keyfob over to your AJT Designs keyfob, you also moved over a tiny black magnet. I tested it, and if I carry just the physical key (to open the door) and that minuscule little magnet (to press up against the start/stop button when I turn the car on) I can unlock and run my JT without any electronic keyfob whatsoever.

I'm seriously debating making a tiny package of just a physical key (with that tiny magnet epoxied to it) for when I'm hiking, trail running, skiing, mountain biking, etc, i.e. when I want the smallest keyfob package possible and want to still be able to use my Jeep even if I accidentally fall in a creek or get caught in a thunderstorm
That's not a magnet, that's the RFID chip. It's the same kind of chip that's in the older security keys.
Sponsored

jsyn

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gobi Gladiator Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
That's not a magnet, that's the RFID chip. It's the same kind of chip that's in the older security keys.
Huh. I've seen RFID chips before, but never any that looked like that. It truly looked like a solid-state tiny magnet. Interesting.

Any reason to believe it would be damaged by being (lightly) epoxied to the top of the metal key?

Edit - and it had no power source and was smaller than most RFID's. The thing was like 0.5mm high, 0.5mm wide, and 3mm long. It's supposed to be guaranteed to work even when you have a dead battery, so is this a passive RFID that only reflects signal, such as the ones you implant in pets? I've been looking online, but can't find any that small for sale (I have no problems cloning an RFID if that's what's needed)

Last edited:

Blade1668

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
90XJ, 91XJ, 91MJ, 05 LJ, 20 JT
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
New for 2021 the improved Jeep fob..... you can carry your lunch, books and laptops inside.
Yes I know it's been on other threads. I'm of the less is better electronics vehicle. A mechanical link to start and STOP a engine is a great thing. I have seen more than one vehicle have a "stuck" at full throttle situation. Less is more to some. No I don't want my T.V. toaster and everything recording and "talking" and what not.

fob-jpg.jpg

jebiruph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL 2019 Cherokee KL 2020 Gladiator JT
Huh. I've seen RFID chips before, but never any that looked like that. It truly looked like a solid-state tiny magnet. Interesting.

Any reason to believe it would be damaged by being (lightly) epoxied to the top of the metal key?

Edit - and it had no power source and was smaller than most RFID's. The thing was like 0.5mm high, 0.5mm wide, and 3mm long. It's supposed to be guaranteed to work even when you have a dead battery, so is this a passive RFID that only reflects signal, such as the ones you implant in pets? I've been looking online, but can't find any that small for sale (I have no problems cloning an RFID if that's what's needed)
Here's a pic of an RFID chip from a older Focus key.
rfid.jpg

Someone on the jlwrangler forum (fobless key thread maybe) found a blank key like this one, but with a blade compatible with the JL/JT. He had the blade cut, then attached the RFID chip from his JL fob to the key and ended up with a regular key he could use to unlock the doors and start with.

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Gladiator High Altitude - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase
New for 2021 the improved Jeep fob..... you can carry your lunch, books and laptops inside.
Yes I know it's been on other threads. I'm of the less is better electronics vehicle. A mechanical link to start and STOP a engine is a great thing. I have seen more than one vehicle have a "stuck" at full throttle situation. Less is more to some. No I don't want my T.V. toaster and everything recording and "talking" and what not.

fob-jpg.jpg
The days of using a key to control the vehicle are long gone. The truck never actually turns off. The push button just tells the computers that you're there and it's time to activate the user interface and start the engine.

Yes, the FOB is bigger than it needs to be, but that is one of those things you have little control over. If you want to drive a Jeep, you deal with the FOB. I don't have any issues with it, but my Wrangler jeans are not skin tight.

Sponsored

Blade1668

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Mr._Bill na I can still drive a Jeep with out it I've got 4 others that don't have all of this. But only 2 for road use now. :rock:

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Gladiator High Altitude - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase
Mr._Bill na I can still drive a Jeep with out it I've got 4 others that don't have all of this. But only 2 for road use now. :rock:
I guess I should have clarified that it's something to deal with if you want to drive a new Jeep. ;)

Blade1668

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
The Fob isn't a problem with it's size to me yet, I have to leave it in my work vehicle while I working same as my cellphone. I remember a few years back wrecker service company's made a s... ton of $ after a really strange lightningstorm the only cars that would start or unlock was keyed vehicles. They ran many back to back runs clearing the parking lot to dealerships for replacement/reset vehicles electronics.

Slapping_Rabbits

First Name
Nirzwan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep gladiator Rubicon, triumph rocket iii roadster
The Fob isn't a problem with it's size to me yet, I have to leave it in my work vehicle while I working same as my cellphone. I remember a few years back wrecker service company's made a s... ton of $ after a really strange lightningstorm the only cars that would start or unlock was keyed vehicles. They ran many back to back runs clearing the parking lot to dealerships for replacement/reset vehicles electronics.
What are you hinting at?

bgenlvtex

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
I'd be inclined to say that less than 10% of new vehicles are keyed access/operation since 2010. Does that open up the possibility of failure? Of course.

Things change, things get better and sometimes worse, but given the opportunity to buy 1970's,80's,90's tech or todays, I'll take todays hands down.

Sure the TCM never failed in my 60's,70's or even 80's cars because they didn't have them. But the transmissions would routinely shit the bed themselves before 100k in an automatic.

Engines didn't have ECM/PCM and you could work on them with very basic tools, and most needed to be rebuilt by the time they hit 100k.

Bias ply tires were far and away more impact and cut resistant off road than radial tires. They also rode like shit and routinely were worn out by 30k.

Point is technology giveth and technology taketh away.

Is the fob a little bigger than I would like it to be? Yes it is, but I got over that about 15 seconds after I bought it.

Sponsored

Blade1668

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
As far as the FOB I don't really care about it's size the FOB picture was a joke really. When I'm at work I don't carry it on me or my cellphone, heck my cellphone is a brick almost, why it's my internet connection too. I have a screwed up sense of humor. Probably due to being in Army Infantry for 15 year's then as a M.P. for rest of my service.

Slapping_Rabbits

First Name
Nirzwan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep gladiator Rubicon, triumph rocket iii roadster
As far as the FOB I don't really care about it's size the FOB picture was a joke really. When I'm at work I don't carry it on me or my cellphone, heck my cellphone is a brick almost, why it's my internet connection too. I have a screwed up sense of humor. Probably due to being in Army Infantry for 15 year's then as a M.P. for rest of my service.
Its true. I work on an army base and mp's have weird senses of humor.

OP
OP

Jt-wrx

First Name
Blake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 sport s 6spd
Here's a pic of an RFID chip from a older Focus key.
rfid.jpg

Someone on the jlwrangler forum (fobless key thread maybe) found a blank key like this one, but with a blade compatible with the JL/JT. He had the blade cut, then attached the RFID chip from his JL fob to the key and ended up with a regular key he could use to unlock the doors and start with.
I'm drooling! Now we're getting somewhere.

OP
OP

Jt-wrx

First Name
Blake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 sport s 6spd
Is the fob a little bigger than I would like it to be? Yes it is, but I got over that about 15 seconds after I bought it.
Wonderful, i'm 5000 kms in and still frying bigger fish with mods but it's looking good to get particular issue sorted out so when i get a chance i'll be looking to fix this absurdity. I'll never get over the fact there's no longer a direct physical link to start and operate a two ton death machine with all the liability and risk that goes with. You'll have a bad day or two with that tech, was never needed, people are having plenty of bad days with this ridiculous concept of rfid thin air link to initiate control of a two ton death machine.

OP
OP

Jt-wrx

First Name
Blake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 sport s 6spd
The days of using a key to control the vehicle are long gone. The truck never actually turns off. The push button just tells the computers that you're there and it's time to activate the user interface and start the engine.

Yes, the FOB is bigger than it needs to be, but that is one of those things you have little control over. If you want to drive a Jeep, you deal with the FOB. I don't have any issues with it, but my Wrangler jeans are not skin tight.
Where's your sense of adventure. ;)

The bigger point to me aside from the annoying size of this monstrosity is that there is not direct physical link between the operator of two ton machine now, the operator should be 100% in care and control of the vehicle, that link should be right there beside the steering wheel where said operator has no choice but to sit. If not for liability and risk reasons alone. Having thin air connection to the ignition of vehicle just offers up too many differences and problems to now solve for. Anyway, there's gobs of info on what those are.

And NO, we will figure out a way to not have to deal with the fob. Things are looking up already in this thread.

If we are clever enough to horrendously fack up something so beautifully simple to begin with, we are clever enough to figure out how to go back to that, we just like to take the shortest route from a-b initially, then we get bored and create a journey from a-b.:CWL:
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.