Which Ham to go with???

Saltymedic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Gladiator Sport Eco-d
Occupation
Retired Fire-Medic
I've been out of the trail exploring game for a little while and am finally getting back into it after an extended reprieve. I was out exploring the central Cascades with my buddy who was no longer using his mounted Cobra CB radio and was now using a little Baofeng handheld. He said that it's becoming the go-to for wheeling communications and that he hardly, if ever, uses his CB any more.

All that being said, I will be searching for a similar handset for simple 2way CB type communications and emergencies if needed. I want something reliable and far reaching that's super simple to use and understand.

I could use a list of recommended units.

Thanks in advance!
Sponsored

atoy74

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Rubicon
I use GMRS radios instead of HAM. They're simpler to use but both GMRS and HAM require a license. A good place to start is Midland radios. When I'm out of the jeep I do use a Baofeng. Mounted in the Jeep is my Midland MX275 Micromobile.

eaglerugby04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gator Rubicon Gladiator, Toyota Prius, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Network Security
Is your buddy licensed? If not he is probably using the Baofeng on FRS/GMRS. FRS is free but a Baofeng really should not be used on there, it violates pretty bad there based on power and antenna capabilities.

GMRS is a license that is $75 for 10 years but is about to drop to $35 in the next little bit, it seems like this is truly what people are switching to, Baofeng technically should not be used on here either due to certifications, but honestly you are going to be under the max allowed for GMRS anyways. A GMRS handheld and maybe even a midland mobile unit would be best for you more than likely.

Ham radio is a pretty easy test to take but it would require everybody else you go with to be licensed. Test is easy but those radios can quickly get pricey. Its a cool hobby but probably doesn't accomplish what you need.

OP
OP
Saltymedic

Saltymedic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Fire-Medic
Is your buddy licensed? If not he is probably using the Baofeng on FRS/GMRS. FRS is free but a Baofeng really should not be used on there, it violates pretty bad there based on power and antenna capabilities.

GMRS is a license that is $75 for 10 years but is about to drop to $35 in the next little bit, it seems like this is truly what people are switching to, Baofeng technically should not be used on here either due to certifications, but honestly you are going to be under the max allowed for GMRS anyways. A GMRS handheld and maybe even a midland mobile unit would be best for you more than likely.

Ham radio is a pretty easy test to take but it would require everybody else you go with to be licensed. Test is easy but those radios can quickly get pricey. Its a cool hobby but probably doesn't accomplish what you need.
No, not licensed just uses two different Baofeng's. I know absolutely squat about legalities and in all honesty I just want something to communicate on the trail with and it seems most people are going the way of the Bao.

He recommended two different models if this helps.

41gxdBc6NdL._AC_SY400_.jpg

51B183Gbw5L._AC_SY400_.jpg

Sponsored

eaglerugby04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Network Security
Fixed it for you...

:)
Yep. Kind of afraid of getting my general for that reason. The used Anytone I bought for DMR was a fair amount more than the Baofeng I was using before....

eaglerugby04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Network Security
No, not licensed just uses two different Baofeng's. I know absolutely squat about legalities and in all honesty I just want something to communicate on the trail with and it seems most people are going the way of the Bao.

He recommended two different models if this helps.

41gxdBc6NdL._AC_SY400_.jpg

51B183Gbw5L._AC_SY400_.jpg
Thing is they are constantly faked so everything is pretty much a variant of the UV-5r. But everybody is right just go with GMRS its a lot easier to just program a channel and keeps you legal.

The frequency list on this site will actually tell you what channels are compatible with the frequencies they are using on the baofengs

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/General_Mobile_Radio_Service

Sponsored

CrazyCooter

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.overlandvehicledynamics.com
Vehicle(s)
1991 JEEP YJ, 2021 JTR Ecodiesel
Occupation
Specialty Off Road Shop Owner
Which Ham to go with???
That's almost like asking what kind of hamburger should I get.....

I suggest you get a ready made consumer option like GMRS as mentioned above unless you are interested in the radio hobby. Otherwise you will forever be screwing up a setting that you don't understand and may leave your equipment useless. The Beofeng radios are not the easiest for those of use used to programming radios and someone inexperienced will go insane!

OP
OP
Saltymedic

Saltymedic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Fire-Medic
That's almost like asking what kind of hamburger should I get.....

I suggest you get a ready made consumer option like GMRS as mentioned above unless you are interested in the radio hobby. Otherwise you will forever be screwing up a setting that you don't understand and may leave your equipment useless. The Beofeng radios are not the easiest for those of use used to programming radios and someone inexperienced will go insane!
I suppose you're right, a hamburger's probably the better way to go for me.

Honestly, the only radio knowledge I have is how to conduct yourself, change channels and turn it on and off from my firefighting days.

The main point is I don't even know where to start looking when I see that most people on the trails are moving away from CB. I'm just looking to get into the game without having to study a bunch of info I'll probably never use any way.

CrazyCooter

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.overlandvehicledynamics.com
Vehicle(s)
1991 JEEP YJ, 2021 JTR Ecodiesel
Occupation
Specialty Off Road Shop Owner
I suppose you're right, a hamburger's probably the better way to go for me.

Honestly, the only radio knowledge I have is how to conduct yourself, change channels and turn it on and off from my firefighting days.

The main point is I don't even know where to start looking when I see that most people on the trails are moving away from CB. I'm just looking to get into the game without having to study a bunch of info I'll probably never use any way.
If people in your area are using GMRS, It get the GMRS and CB...then you are covered always regardless of when others use. Maybe even a Rugged dual band as I think they have actually licensed some freq that are legal to use.

I personally have a 4 band HAM radio and a CB so I can cover literally anything, but even I have a hard time wrapping my head around all the fnctions of the radios after 12 years licensed.

Moonshineheadache

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Great White Edition Rubicon
Occupation
Gas Pump Jockey - I hate cans!
Vehicle Showcase
Honeybaked all the way!

eaglerugby04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Network Security
If people in your area are using GMRS, It get the GMRS and CB...then you are covered always regardless of when others use. Maybe even a Rugged dual band as I think they have actually licensed some freq that are legal to use.

I personally have a 4 band HAM radio and a CB so I can cover literally anything, but even I have a hard time wrapping my head around all the fnctions of the radios after 12 years licensed.
Rugged is actually under instigation right now. The way they license their frequency isn't really legal.

OP really needs to go GMRS here.
Sponsored