Sponsored

Delete push button start, go back to keyed ignition? The rfid brick has to go...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blown7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1977 Hellcat powered CJ7..... 2007 Jeep SRT8...2018 Trackhawk
It could be done. with lots of engineering. The tech is out there you just got to dig deep. First go back to the LX forums and read up how some guys changed from keyed ignition to push button many years ago.

Then you have to change the PCM from tip in to hold start.

Then you have to find a compatible module for the ignition key. Its been lots of years since a keyed ignition was standard.......you may have to try to adapt something pre 2012 maybe earlier...

Then you'll need to shut off that part of the wireless control module that reads the RF signal from the fob. Possibly at this time the BCM could also be involved.

You need to talk to Joe at at Tazer.. then maybe Hemituner (AJ) to see if he is interested in digging in..on Can Bus stuff

I used to do all this stuff before.. I just don't have the ambition anymore. Plus it will cost lots of $ to make it happen.

Or it may be easier to redesign /program a smaller FOB.. that would probably be the easiest.
Sponsored

OP
OP

Jt-wrx

First Name
Blake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 sport s 6spd
I use the ajt fob without the key cover plate, i use a small spring clip to a small key ring for the 4 keys i carry and the spring clip attaches to the open end of the ajt fob. One of the keys is the fob key, which i ground the circular hub thinner to flatten and ride more like a regular key on the key chain. Bit of fiddle fartin around but best i can do. It's how i ran the ram fob also, and agree, why didn't they just rebadge the ram fob? They went backwards with this fob, the whole truck goes forward yet the one thing that makes it stop and go and requires constant handling and fumbling they went ass backwards. I'd be firing the engineers responsible for that.

Hootbro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
I love that the major complaints about a vehicle are things like the size of the key fob. What a first world problem.
True but kind of like fat chicks that put out, you still would like the slimmer model if you could get one.

Sponsored

Ian8

It could be done. with lots of engineering. The tech is out there you just got to dig deep. First go back to the LX forums and read up how some guys changed from keyed ignition to push button many years ago.

Then you have to change the PCM from tip in to hold start.

Then you have to find a compatible module for the ignition key. Its been lots of years since a keyed ignition was standard.......you may have to try to adapt something pre 2012 maybe earlier...

Then you'll need to shut off that part of the wireless control module that reads the RF signal from the fob. Possibly at this time the BCM could also be involved.

You need to talk to Joe at at Tazer.. then maybe Hemituner (AJ) to see if he is interested in digging in..on Can Bus stuff

I used to do all this stuff before.. I just don't have the ambition anymore. Plus it will cost lots of $ to make it happen.

Or it may be easier to redesign /program a smaller FOB.. that would probably be the easiest.
Weren’t the Jks in 2018 still made with keyed ignitions? That’s only 2 model years ago.

Ian8

I’m truly interested in seeing if there is a solution to this issue. I know that RFID has been used as an anti theft measure in cars fir at least two decades. My one friend had their 2006 Ford Expedition key get cracked, which damaged the rfid chip. Even when the car was unlocked, the engine wouldn’t turn over because it wasn’t getting the right signal from the key. So, you could say it was a “two-factor authentication” of sorts. I haven’t gotten a gladiator yet, but I have drove a few thousand miles in cars with gigantic key fobs and push button start, and I hate it. Combined with the auto engine off feature, I really hate driving new cars. The whole point of these proximity keys is to keep them in your pocket and start the car, but they’re too darn big to comfortably be in my pocket. And if I am taking them out of my pocket, why not put it into the ignition where it belongs? This method of problem solving is like how ford is putting a folding shift lever into the center console of the new F-150, instead of putting a “retro design” column shifter.

Delhux

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator - Overland - Gator
I haven’t had a keychain with actual keys on it for many years.

My house uses smart locks so they only thing I carry is my Jeep fob, my AirPods on a keychain, and the tiny key for my Diamondback cover.

I still think the key fob is ridiculously oversized, but the next step has to be using my phone/watch to unlock and start my car. I don’t mind being issued a key fob, I just don’t see much need to carry it if I can unlock my car with my phone or watch.

https://www.motortrend.com/news/apple-carkey-digital-phone-as-key-tech-ios-14/

I know people flip out about the idea of losing a phone, but doesn’t the same argument apply to keys? Also, if my smart watch can also perform the same action, I’ve instantly got a backup which is literally strapped to my body. I’ve never strapped extra keys to my body.

I agree the fob is ridiculous, and I don’t like carrying around a ton of bulky stuff. Just let me use my phone. I don’t want weird and jagged pieces of metal in my pocket (it’ll probably scratch my phone).

OP
OP

Jt-wrx

First Name
Blake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 sport s 6spd
I’m truly interested in seeing if there is a solution to this issue. I know that RFID has been used as an anti theft measure in cars fir at least two decades. My one friend had their 2006 Ford Expedition key get cracked, which damaged the rfid chip. Even when the car was unlocked, the engine wouldn’t turn over because it wasn’t getting the right signal from the key. So, you could say it was a “two-factor authentication” of sorts. I haven’t gotten a gladiator yet, but I have drove a few thousand miles in cars with gigantic key fobs and push button start, and I hate it. Combined with the auto engine off feature, I really hate driving new cars. The whole point of these proximity keys is to keep them in your pocket and start the car, but they’re too darn big to comfortably be in my pocket. And if I am taking them out of my pocket, why not put it into the ignition where it belongs? This method of problem solving is like how ford is putting a folding shift lever into the center console of the new F-150, instead of putting a “retro design” column shifter.
It's so common sense that it seems lost to so many. Ah human beings, we sure know how to take something so simple and basic and create so many more headaches and wormholes. I'm with you 100%

Sponsored

OP
OP

Jt-wrx

First Name
Blake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 sport s 6spd
I haven’t had a keychain with actual keys on it for many years.

My house uses smart locks so they only thing I carry is my Jeep fob, my AirPods on a keychain, and the tiny key for my Diamondback cover.

I still think the key fob is ridiculously oversized, but the next step has to be using my phone/watch to unlock and start my car. I don’t mind being issued a key fob, I just don’t see much need to carry it if I can unlock my car with my phone or watch.

https://www.motortrend.com/news/apple-carkey-digital-phone-as-key-tech-ios-14/

I know people flip out about the idea of losing a phone, but doesn’t the same argument apply to keys? Also, if my smart watch can also perform the same action, I’ve instantly got a backup which is literally strapped to my body. I’ve never strapped extra keys to my body.

I agree the fob is ridiculous, and I don’t like carrying around a ton of bulky stuff. Just let me use my phone. I don’t want weird and jagged pieces of metal in my pocket (it’ll probably scratch my phone).
Well aren't you just full of money and taking your entire life digital, 1st world plus eh? Well, i guess everyone should just do what you do right?

Anyway, there's a lot to be said for simple mechanical reliable things. Especially for important use many times a day items where extreme care and control are required. The less of that by thin air connection the better. But you keep selling your story, that flies in the face of common sense. ;)

Sounds like you should be driving a tesla.

I wonder why i bought a manual transmission?

Last edited:

SwampNut

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Launch Edition
Occupation
Geek
I stopped carrying keys long ago. I often don't carry a wallet now. My phone and watch do payments, contain everything I need when out and about, and control the doors and alarm at home as well as my office. This stuff is cheap and simple these days. Both of my cars now have proximity keys which simplifies everything, I hated that my JK still required a physical key.

I had my JK key on a carabiner and clipped it on a belt loop, because that stupid long key was uncomfortable in a pocket. I lost it once when the key poked a hole in my pocket and worked its way out. Stupid thing. At least the JT/JL key is not long and sharp. I still carry it on a belt loop where it's totally out of the way but instantly reachable when I want to do a remote start. Try it.

Delhux

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator - Overland - Gator
Well aren't you just full of money and taking your entire life digital, 1st world plus eh? Well, i guess everyone should just do what you do right?
What???

Anyway, there's a lot to be said for simple mechanical reliable things.
Yup. Though, didn’t you start this thread to discuss punching a hole in your dashboard and monkeying with wires just to avoid using the simple, reliable pocket in your pants?

Especially for important use many times a day items where extreme care and control are required.
Wait, we’re still talking about keys, right?

The less of that by thin air connection the better.
Encrypted near-field security with secondary factor authentication like faceID, fingerprint, or passcode? As opposed to the security of a metal shard that a kiosk at Home Depot can replicate endlessly?

But you keep selling your story, that flies in the face of common sense. ;)
Are you feeling ok? Need a hug?

Sounds like you should be driving a tesla.
I’m beginning to think your intentions are to be rude, sir...

I wonder why i bought a manual transmission?
Oh dear, could you try to smile for me?

nerubi

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR
Occupation
Retired
Sure a mix of I don't want change and I'll do anything to void my warranty to go back 20 years to those that are George Jetson and use their phone, which I saw a commercial that some car has phone unlock, until you drop the phone fumbling it out of your pocket (isn't it bigger than the fob since phones are getting to the size of tablets now) or it gets hacked and your car is stolen. Me I want to carry a hand crank to start mine like the model T and a brain implant to unlock the doors.

SwampNut

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Launch Edition
Occupation
Geek
It cracks me up that people want to buy a truck that is great due to all sorts of new design and manufacturing abilities created by the latest tech, and then hobble it with old tech. Crazy.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.