Did you see a unique G today?

GotGladiator

First Name
Carlo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator MaxTow
Well, not in person but online. This G is at least a 14-seater and has a bimini roof top! Man, this reminds me of the jeepney back home.

Screenshot_20210527-000446_OfferUp.jpg

Screenshot_20210527-000551_OfferUp.jpg

Screenshot_20210527-000426_OfferUp.jpg

Screenshot_20210527-000414_OfferUp.jpg
Sponsored

OP
OP

GotGladiator

First Name
Carlo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator MaxTow
Jeepney, haven't heard that term or seen one since being in the PI.
I missed riding them. The only ones I saw here in the States were just displays in front of Filipino market/restaurant.

Per online:
They got their start as Willys Jeeps left behind when American GIs departed the Philippines at the end of World War II. Filipinos then began recycling them as buses with bodies made from galvanized or stainless steel, fabric covers instead of side windows, and longitudinally mounted benches with room for 20 (or more) passengers.

So I have been riding a jeep(ney) since I was a youngster. Lol.

Overland, were you stationed there in Subic or Angeles base?

Sponsored

OVERLORD

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland
TDY to Clark AFB often, near St Angeles City.

Prior to the volcano taking it out.

OP
OP

GotGladiator

First Name
Carlo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator MaxTow
TDY to Clark AFB often, near St Angeles City.

Prior to the volcano taking it out.
Oh I see. That eruption was nasty. Ashes everywhere...
I haven't been to Clark AFB. I used to live(civilian) next to Subic NB and John Hay Base. When I was younger, we use to greet servicemen as "GI Joe". They used to pay for everyone's fare riding the jeep(ney) going thru the Vegas-style strip to the beach. They loved being stationed there. People are hospitable and things are cheap. US dollars to PI pesos..chaching. Hahaha.

OVERLORD

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I haven't been to Clark AFB. I used to live(civilian) next to Subic NB and John Hay Base. When I was younger, we use to greet servicemen as "GI Joe". They used to pay for everyone's fare riding the jeep(ney) going thru the Vegas-style strip to the beach. They loved being stationed there. People are hospitable and things are cheap. US dollars to PI pesos..chaching. Hahaha.
Loved the PI, tried hard to be stationed there, it was not meant to be, the flora an fauna, the People, the critters, and the San Miguel.

DankjeeP

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTR, '98 XJ, '17 FLHXS
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
HW Engineer
Jeepneys were cool for sure. Went to Olongapo a few times in USN and to Subic Bay once for work. Some good memories from way back when.

OP
OP

GotGladiator

First Name
Carlo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator MaxTow
Yup, same here, good memories. Oh, I am sure you've ridden those souped up tricycles with all the blings and loud sound system. Good Ol days in PI.
Btw, THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE, OVERLORD and DankjeeP!

Sponsored

OP
OP

GotGladiator

First Name
Carlo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator MaxTow
Loved the PI, tried hard to be stationed there, it was not meant to be, the flora an fauna, the People, the critters, and the San Miguel.
Oh yes, cold San Miguel beer! Did you try the Red Horse (beer with gin) when you were there?

OVERLORD

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Oh yes, cold San Miguel beer! Did you try the Red Horse (beer with gin) when you were there?
In the 70's where I was at, SM was it. One day drink a dozen bottles, no effect. The next day drink three, and under the table. A troubled time in St. Angeles City, I think they were called Moros (?). Don't go downtown alone, stay close to base.

AdrianVall

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JT Sport Max Tow
That looks like a lot of fun! I'd love to take out friends and family mudding in that thing!

Gelo

First Name
Gelo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator High Altitude
Occupation
Accountant
To Overlord and DankJeep, thank you for your service! My father was in Vietnam but as a civilian personnel. My parents were professors at Angeles University. I too rode on Jeepneys as a kid. I was six with another six year old riding to visit friends. Not safe! What I remember most is how delicious the food was in Angeles City and how amazing the holiday seasons were!
Sponsored