Sponsored

Diesel Gladiator owners with upgraded gearing ONLY please...

Pescatoral Pursuit

Banned
Banned
First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘06 F-150, ‘15 CTS, ‘21 JT Urban Rubicon Diesel
Occupation
Plumba
OP is on his 7th Jeep build and already has both rims (Method) and lift (Clayton Offroad)... not my first rodeo-- don't be a dick because I asked a direct ? and didn't want to hear all the fluff! Asshole-- I've lived in Indy... not impressed!
Your question really brought out the chest-beaters more than normal.

How dare you tell them you're not interested in their opinions, lol.

Good luck getting an informed consensus.
Sponsored

M390

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport Ecodiesel
I disagree based on personal experience. I just saw issues from my gladiator seeking 6-7 gear during a 4 hour trip one way then another. Note: I was pulling a trailer with a couch one way and empty back. I do have an Alu-Cab Canopy Camper as well. There where strong winds. But there and back I saw 13mpg average and usually get upwards of 21-23mpg. This is with a tune from GDE that gives me an extra 45hp and 80ft lbs. Regearing would have solved this issue and allowed me to get 8th gear more often. I run 37” tires.

That said, if you never load you teuck up and it’s just yourself. Then yeah you can get away without a regear. But as I have found. If you use it as designed then yes you should consider it. In the process of working out a regear in hopes to help bring back the power band.
Bout the most practical information that’s been posted on this subject.
I‘ve got a Banks Derringer, 35’s and 3.73’s and notice similar effects to what you describe as well.

Jocww

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Website
thewongwindingroad.blogspot.com
Vehicle(s)
73 Fj40 lq9 on 38s 2021 JTRD Gecko Green on 37s
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Flight Instructor
Ive got 37s and 373s I like it. and I crawl more than most on this board. I would go 4.10s if I went up a size or 2 on my tires. I use this mostly on my ranch and for road trips to the rocks. Not as a daily. But with MPGs being important now that diesel is 6.40 a gallon I will probably stay 37s and stock gears.

Good luck on your no opinions thing... your in for a rude awakening lol.

Vtur

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTOD
Ive got 37s and 373s I like it. and I crawl more than most on this board. I would go 4.10s if I went up a size or 2 on my tires. I use this mostly on my ranch and for road trips to the rocks. Not as a daily. But with MPGs being important now that diesel is 6.40 a gallon I will probably stay 37s and stock gears.

Good luck on your no opinions thing... your in for a rude awakening lol.
My mpg actually improved after regeared to 4.10s. I'm sure it's from less loading/lugging the motor.

Vtur

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTOD
Anyone else on here running 4.10 or 4.56s gears? Please chime in on your experiences.

Sponsored

Jteakus

First Name
Teakus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLURD, 2022 JTRD
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
I have a JL diesel on 35's, I wish it had 4.10's. I have a set of take outs that I intend to install. It really isn't worth the money/labor IMO to purchase and install it all new. Jeep really should step up and allow a 4.10 option for the Ecodiesel.

Jteakus

First Name
Teakus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLURD, 2022 JTRD
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
JT Rubicon Diesel owners, Do they sit level from the factory like the JL's do? I am patiently waiting for mine to ship.

Sponsored

Jteakus

First Name
Teakus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLURD, 2022 JTRD
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Thank you sir, already planning my upgrades.

Chance575

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
C
Occupation
D
Installing 4.88s with 37s , plans are 39 or 40s later on with towing a camper. I might start on the install next weekend

TheSolarWizard

First Name
Memphis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
3.0 JT
Occupation
Solar & EV infrastructure
I’ve been in several diesel gladiators lifted and not. The best performing and best mpg without a tune was mine when it had the stock whatever size ~ 31” tires with stock gearing. Next best was a rubicon regeared to 4.10 on 35s. According to its owner that was also solid for mpg. comparing another one with stock gears & 37s to mine on 39s, the slight differences could be boiled down to specific tire and wheel choices and differences in accessory weight. the diesel on 4.88s, heavy D60s & heavy 40s was definitely slower to 60 than mine when stock and the rubicon on 35s/4.11s but it also seemed to be too high on rpm cruising at 75 mph.
the best performing diesel Jeep I’ve been in personally was definitely a tuned rubicon JL on stock tires. Total freight train and was an ear to ear smile experience.

what does that tell me? I definitely want both a regear AND a tune and that a move up to 40s comes with too many compromises for me in terms of axle sizing vs gearing ratios available AND BRAKING. 40s are absolutely too much for the stock brakes no matter the engine based on my ass absorbing the seat as a passenger in a JL on 40s in an emergency stop

if I had to give an educated guess on what ratios are “ideal” for gladiators that arent trail rigs or show vehicles it would be the following:

up to light 35s without beadlocks or a load of weight added, 3.73s
35s with lots of stuff or towing frequently 4.10s
light 37s like line 1 4.30 when they come available
heavy 37s like line 2, 38s or 39s 4.56
40s with a very light foot or lots of spare parts 4.56s
40+ and damn the torpedoes mentality D60+ on 4.88

Steven_B

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Website
aroundthenw.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 WK2, 2001 XJ, 1993 YJ, 2021 JT EcoDiesel
Occupation
Digital Marketing Manager
I am on Nitto ATs 37's and 4.10s. My Gladiator is is over 7k lbs when fully loaded for a trip and I average just below 23MPG highway when the speed limits are around 65MPH. If mountain passes are involved, then I get around 19MPG.

Based on the online calculators, 4.10s with 37s got me the closest to the stock RPM range of a stock Gladiator Diesel Rubicon on 33" tires (mine is a Sport S).

DocMcStuffins

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon Diesel
I’ve been in several diesel gladiators lifted and not. The best performing and best mpg without a tune was mine when it had the stock whatever size ~ 31” tires with stock gearing. Next best was a rubicon regeared to 4.10 on 35s. According to its owner that was also solid for mpg. comparing another one with stock gears & 37s to mine on 39s, the slight differences could be boiled down to specific tire and wheel choices and differences in accessory weight. the diesel on 4.88s, heavy D60s & heavy 40s was definitely slower to 60 than mine when stock and the rubicon on 35s/4.11s but it also seemed to be too high on rpm cruising at 75 mph.
the best performing diesel Jeep I’ve been in personally was definitely a tuned rubicon JL on stock tires. Total freight train and was an ear to ear smile experience.

what does that tell me? I definitely want both a regear AND a tune and that a move up to 40s comes with too many compromises for me in terms of axle sizing vs gearing ratios available AND BRAKING. 40s are absolutely too much for the stock brakes no matter the engine based on my ass absorbing the seat as a passenger in a JL on 40s in an emergency stop

if I had to give an educated guess on what ratios are “ideal” for gladiators that arent trail rigs or show vehicles it would be the following:

up to light 35s without beadlocks or a load of weight added, 3.73s
35s with lots of stuff or towing frequently 4.10s
light 37s like line 1 4.30 when they come available
heavy 37s like line 2, 38s or 39s 4.56
40s with a very light foot or lots of spare parts 4.56s
40+ and damn the torpedoes mentality D60+ on 4.88
I think I am pretty set on 4.56's. Will be good for the 37's up to 40's. Will be trying to get gearing done while trussing axles and before RCV's going in. 👍
Sponsored