Sponsored

DIESEL ONLY: How long has your fuel pump lasted?

Gladbrennan

Banned
Banned
First Name
Brennan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Diesel
I understand that additives can modify standard diesel fuel an add more lubricity, i get that but i think we are overlooking a deeper issue.

Why are manufacturers designing pumps that dont operate with the standard fuel?

Why do manufacturers specifically say to not use addidtives?

I get your taking preventative measures however I feel this issue shouldn't be the consumers issue.
Sponsored

Rusty PW

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTRD, '11 370Z Nismo, '07 Honda VFR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Muff Diver
I understand that additives can modify standard diesel fuel an add more lubricity, i get that but i think we are overlooking a deeper issue.

I get your taking preventative measures however I feel this issue shouldn't be the consumers issue.
The CP4 fuel pump is made by Bosch in Germany. They have a different fuel standard for diesel then we do. Their diesel is a bit more lubricity than ours. Don't think they took that into consideration when designing the CP4. Wouldn't be the first time that something designed in Europe and used in the US had problems because they didn't do their homework.

Gladbrennan

Banned
Banned
First Name
Brennan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Diesel
The CP4 fuel pump is made by Bosch in Germany. They have a different fuel standard for diesel then we do. Their diesel is a bit more lubricity than ours. Don't think they took that into consideration when designing the CP4. Wouldn't be the first time that something designed in Europe and used in the US had problems because they didn't do their homework.
Touche.

Seems like a pretty careless oversight. It will intresting to see how the new replacement pumps will differ.
Intrested to see how the new pumps will solve the slight variation in fuel lubricity, we'll see soon enough.

I'm even more interested to see how the dealers will inspect and analyze the rest of the fuel system to determine long term effects of the failing pumps. I feel like its neccesary to put an extended warranty on all fuel system components after the recall is completed.

Rusty PW

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Muff Diver
Touche.

Seems like a pretty careless oversight. It will intresting to see how the new replacement pumps will differ.

Intrested to see how the new pumps will solve the slight variation in fuel lubricity, we'll see soon enough.

I'm even more interested to see how the dealers will inspect and analyze the rest of the fuel system to determine long term effects of the failing pumps. I feel like its neccesary to put an extended warranty on all fuel system components after the recall is completed.
I'm still not on the recall list. Now wondering if there is a difference in them.

To check to see if the pump is starting to go. There is a fuel pressure regulator That sits on top of the pump. If you remove it, and inspect it. If the screen has particles on it. The pump is failing. It sits in the V of the pump.

Jeep Gladiator DIESEL ONLY: How long has your fuel pump lasted? 1679193218804

Jeep Gladiator DIESEL ONLY: How long has your fuel pump lasted? 1679193110743

Sponsored

@californiajeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Gladiator diesel, 1977 cj5 LS swapped
26k did my first fuel filter looked fine dirty but fine. No issues. Using hot shots edt and extreme sometimes.

Gladbrennan

Banned
Banned
First Name
Brennan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Diesel
26k did my first fuel filter looked fine dirty but fine. No issues. Using hot shots edt and extreme sometimes.
You know you are supposed to do a fuel filter change every other oil change interval right! it takes about 5 minutes to do....

@californiajeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Gladiator diesel, 1977 cj5 LS swapped
You know you are supposed to do a fuel filter change every other oil change interval right! it takes about 5 minutes to do....
Manual says 20k I also monitor the fuel system extensively.

Jteakus

First Name
Teakus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLURD, 2022 JTRD
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
I have a 2020 JLRUD and a 2022 JTRD.
The JL is pushing 60k and has never had untreated diesel in it. I change filters every 15k and try not to let fuel level get below 1/4 tank. No Problems.
The JT is still like new with 2.475 miles. It gets same treatment as JL.
I get my diesel in bulk. I treat the (very clean) bulk tank with Power Service Diesel Kleen and in addition the Jeeps get 4 oz of Amsoil diesel treatment/tank. The Cummins 24 valves get 1 oz of 2-stroke oil/gallon.
The JL is under recall, the JT is not. DOES ANYONE KNOW IF THERE IS AN UPGRADE TO THE NEW PUMPS OR ARE THEY JUST TRYING TO GET US OUT OF WARRANTY? WHAT IS DIFFERENT ABOUT THE 2020 PUMP AND THE 2022 THAT MAKES ONE UNDER RECALL AND NOT THE OTHER?!?

I am not trying to persuade anyone to run an additive. People have their own opinions and I try not to argue anymore. Everyone will figure it out at some point. But if you know a Cummins owner with a VP44 injector pump truck ask them if they think additives are important.

mrmo

First Name
Mrmo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator
Occupation
nuke
I dont even want to discuss it and jinx myself....I do use Opti-Lube XPD every tank at the recommended amount

Sponsored

CreepyJeepy

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon 3.0
Occupation
Cyber Security

Yeah... I think we all agree it shouldn't be a consumer issue.... I purchase diesel from kum&go as it's pretreated. I also treat with EDT and sometimes LX4 on top of that.

I tow quite extensively in the summer months, and over long distances... Getting stranded while towing a trailer is not something I want to happen, as I imagine Jeep's coverage of dragging my trailer several hundred / thousand miles back to my house isn't going to happen.... Thus I treat to reduce the risk of having to spend a ton of money to get home with my trailer....

Should I have to do this? No...

I'm really doubting there is any difference in any of the modern CP4's as far as rollers / metal hardness / durability....

I wonder if they have even produced a new 'CP4' with increased durability. I'd love to understand the changes...

Rusty PW

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Muff Diver

22EcoDs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22jtsD , 06XK, 21KL - Retired(97ZJ,15JKU, 00WJ,)

Rusty PW

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Muff Diver
Makes me think there's going to be a full recall. Easier to replace pumps than change us diesel ;)
That's what the article sounded like.
Sponsored