Sponsored

DIESEL ONLY: How long has your fuel pump lasted?

PackMule

First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 SingGray JTRD, 2012 Dozer JK, 2014 GC
Occupation
InfoTech Retired
41k and no CP4 issues. I use Power Service Diesel Kleen about every other tank.
Sponsored

MALLCRAWLER

Banned
Banned
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 gladiator
How do additives reduce cavitation?

Per the previously posted diesel magazine article, cavitation is what is killing these pumps. I assume some were not being primed properly from the factory, and others were not primed properly after filter changes. I'm not confident additives address any of this.

Gmac03

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Willys D
How do additives reduce cavitation?

Per the previously posted diesel magazine article, cavitation is what is killing these pumps. I assume some were not being primed properly from the factory, and others were not primed properly after filter changes. I'm not confident additives address any of this.
I’m with you, diesel is an oil, gas is a solvent. Diesel in itself should be lubricating the fuel pump, if it’s a lack of lubrication that is killing the pump then it’s a lack of fuel.

I have 24k on the engine, it’s a 2021, fingers crossed. Hopefully they’ll have enough parts soon enough to replace these regularly for the entire time I own the truck.

Gladbrennan

Banned
Banned
First Name
Brennan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Diesel
45k miles no additive and fueling up at the closest diesel pump i could find.

Additives are a waste of money and have no real data to back up their claims, stop drinking the cool-aid.

Sponsored

CreepyJeepy

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon 3.0
Occupation
Cyber Security
23k, I do use additive (LX4) (when warmer) specifically, and anti-gel additives with a lubrication additive in colder weather (sub 10F).

Although when I do fill up at higher quality fuel stations (like Kum & Go) https://www.kumandgo.com/fuel/xtreme-diesel/
I typically don't add anything because it's already been added. (why waste money)

This is the best explanation there is thus far.
Nothing else has been as direct, verifiable, and with limited speculation.

https://www.jeepgladiatorforum.com/...ode-review-by-green-diesel-engineering.65339/

Specifically

The OE calibrations for the EcoDiesel 2014 thru the present (both Gen2 and Gen3) all use this CPC mode as part of their calibration strategy. If you rev the engine while parked with the hood open, as the engine speed comes back to idle is very common to hear a prominent noise akin to gravel in a rock crusher or to an engine with solid lifter camshaft that has an incorrect valve lash. This noise happens as the metering unit flow is varied (via CPC algorithm) thru the pump and generally lasts for a number of seconds, sometimes going away and other times persisting indefinitely.

We surmise that during this transition period of flow rate that the noise is generated by a clearance that forms between the roller wheel and the pump’s camshaft. During normal operation (with the factory calibration), the pump operates in MPROP mode generally when under load but constant makes the transition to the CPC mode in light load and coasting situations. During that transition the MPROP has to make a large change in delivery almost instantaneously, leading to a loss of motion control within the valvetrain of the pump.
Pump failures based on tremendous reading and research are caused by a mixture of the below.

1. Pump Metallurgy durability / design. (which is why Jeep will be replacing pumps (specifically in the rollers / cam)
2. Software operation of fuel modes. (which is why I am holding off to tune until pumps are replaced, as I suspect a PCM update will arrive with the newer pumps)

I'd recommend additives still in all diesel motors. Current ULSD Diesel Sulfur level has been reduced to 15ppm. Sulfur is one of the key elements of diesel fuel lubrication.. So although yes, diesel is an oil, it is not the same oil it was previous to 2006, chemically it's different, thus wear patterns are different.

Additional lubrication has proven to reduce wear patterns. This matters to me.

CreepyJeepy

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Cyber Security
sorry for all the typo's above, I think I have fixed them all... :-P

Gladbrennan

Banned
Banned
First Name
Brennan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Diesel
sorry for all the typo's above, I think I have fixed them all... :-P
SorryIt’s inconceivable to think additives will extend the pumps life, no tune or snake oil will effect the longevity of the Bosch fuel pump.

Bunch of babies crying about nothing.

vicsvx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport S 3.0
Didn't read the whole thread... But I'm at 22k no problema yet...

CreepyJeepy

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Cyber Security
Yes additives are proven to reduce wear. There is zero argument to be made that that’s not true….

There is an argument to be made that wear isn’t the driving cause of this issue and thus additives will not reduce the likelihood of this failure mode.

Based on the failures I’ve seen, it’s possible the plunger is getting sticky in the cylinder and not returning to the lobe after lift. Then the piston turns, and the pump then self destructs

But saying additives do nothing is simply untrue.

I recommend looking for wear scar analysis with additives and without, lots of good reading to do there.

SorryIt’s inconceivable to think additives will extend the pumps life, no tune or snake oil will effect the longevity of the Bosch fuel pump.

Bunch of babies crying about nothing.

Sponsored

Gladbrennan

Banned
Banned
First Name
Brennan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Diesel
Yes additives are proven to reduce wear. There is zero argument to be made that that’s not true….

There is an argument to be made that wear isn’t the driving cause of this issue and thus additives will not reduce the likelihood of this failure mode.

Based on the failures I’ve seen, it’s possible the plunger is getting sticky in the cylinder and not returning to the lobe after lift. Then the piston turns, and the pump then self destructs

But saying additives do nothing is simply untrue.

I recommend looking for wear scar analysis with additives and without, lots of good reading to do there.

Gladbrennan

Banned
Banned
First Name
Brennan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Diesel
Please send me and everyone the link for the comprehensive analysis you speak of.

You have no backing to your claims that additives reduce wear.

Upload photos of this circumstance for our reference: "Based on the failures I’ve seen, it’s possible the plunger is getting sticky in the cylinder and not returning to the lobe after lift. Then the piston turns, and the pump then self destructs ".

Rusty PW

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTRD, '11 370Z Nismo, '07 Honda VFR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Muff Diver
Please send me and everyone the link for the comprehensive analysis you speak of.

Upload photos of this circumstance for our reference: "Based on the failures I’ve seen, it’s possible the plunger is getting sticky in the cylinder and not returning to the lobe after lift. Then the piston turns, and the pump then self destructs ".
Yeah, either the piston sticks or it bounces off the lobe............and boom!

Curt Oz

First Name
Curt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport S
Occupation
Retired
*** RECALL ***

October 13, 2022NHTSA CAMPAIGN NUMBER: 22V767000
Fuel Pump Failure
An engine stall can increase the risk of a crash.

NHTSA Campaign Number: 22V767000
Manufacturer Chrysler (FCA US, LLC)
Components FUEL SYSTEM, GASOLINE, ENGINE
Potential Number of Units Affected 60,413
Summary
Chrysler (FCA US, LLC) is recalling certain 2020-2022 Jeep Wrangler, Ram 1500, and 2021-2022 Jeep Gladiator vehicles equipped with 3.0L diesel engines. The high pressure fuel pump (HPFP) may fail, causing an engine stall.
Remedy
Dealers will replace the HPFP and inspect and replace additional fuel system components, as necessary, free of charge. Interim owner notification letters informing owners of the safety risk were mailed on November 29, 2022. Owner notification letters are expected to be mailed August 24, 2023. Owners may contact Chrysler customer service at 1-800-853-1403. Chrysler's number for this recall is Z96.
Notes
Owners may also contact the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration Vehicle Safety Hotline at 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), or go to www.nhtsa.gov.

https://www.nhtsa.gov/vehicle/2021/JEEP/GLADIATOR%2520DIESEL/PU%252FCC/4WD#recalls

CreepyJeepy

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Cyber Security

https://planetsafelubricants.com/pages/hfrr-test-wear-scar-comparisons

https://www.dieselplace.com/threads/lubricity-additive-study-results.177728/

There are tons of studies out there, just open google and do a search….
Sponsored