Sponsored

Dipstick read is a pain...

ZoMojave

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTM (sold) '23 WL74
i know how to read a dam dipstick, wipe, blah. I usually wipe nite before and insert, next morning pull it for a settled out read. Its always high on the backside of the stick but the hashmark side shows a little low. im just gonna use the back screw it
This may be a bit involved, but I will pass another forum members tip along to you:

First, remove the dipstick and clean off the 'bullet' on the end with brake parts cleaner or lacquer thinner & let dry. Next, fully insert & remove the dipstick. When you remove the dipstick, make sure you always hold it in roughly the same orientation that it was removed, or at least with the bullet end pointing down. Otherwise you can get a false reading. Using an LED light also helps you see the oil level. Read to the lowest indicated level.

One more thing - if you try to get multiple dipstick readings in succession, the inside of the tube will get coated with oil and give you a false reading. In that case, pull the dipstick and wait 10-15 minutes before re-inserting to get a reading.

Ah yes, the science of dipstick reading. But seriously, the condition of your oil is questionable. ;)

BlueScapegoat

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
91 ST185, 04 Ram SRT10, SC'd 05 Rubi, 22 JTRD
Occupation
Air Traffic Controller
Vehicle Showcase
That’s how my son gauges the oil level on his old 4.0 Cherokee.

Kevin
I add oil to my 4.0 when it starts ticking on cold start lol.

I had a 2011 Mini Cooper S R56 a while back... now that was a really bad dipstick. Impossible to read.

I don't know when a flat piece of metal fell out of favor... always seemed pretty straight forward.

OP
OP
mrmo

mrmo

First Name
Mrmo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator
Occupation
nuke
It does look dirty (typical diesel oil condition) but Ive been right on the money w 8k changes at the dealer. Actually my last freebee is coming up soon.

OP
OP
mrmo

mrmo

First Name
Mrmo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator
Occupation
nuke
Yeah, I know, I friggin dipstick. But I aint waitin till the rods are knocking to put oil in it dammit!! 😜
Im going to do whats needed to keep this thing until it wore slap out, which I hope is many years from now

Sponsored

Rusty PW

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTRD, '11 370Z Nismo, '07 Honda VFR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Muff Diver
Is dip sticking anything like anal probing? They put bubble gum on the end of the probe and push it in. When you start chewing. Then they know it's deep enough.

DLAW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'95 Nissan Pathfinder, '08 Honda Civic, '12 Honda CR-V, '16 Honda Odyssey, 2021 JTR
Occupation
Predicting the future
ELI5 why we can't just have an oil level gauge, just like we have for the gasoline?

MrZappo

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Computer Consultant
i know how to read a dam dipstick, wipe, blah. I usually wipe nite before and insert, next morning pull it for a settled out read. Its always high on the backside of the stick but the hashmark side shows a little low. im just gonna use the back screw it
The night before ? Honestly, are you serious ? over analyze stuff much ?

pull, clean, push, pull, read, push.

Middle or top, leave alone.
Near bottom, add a little.

Its not the space shuttle ...

AmosMoses

First Name
Amos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator sport
Occupation
Manufacturing
Oil looks a little dark. Better get a couple samples and mail them off to oil analysis experts. Use at least two to rule out faulty results.
Sponsored