First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon EcoDiesel, 1947 Willys CJ2A
Build Thread
Link
Any body else found their oil to be a quart low after 2000 miles.? The steel cable dipstick is a new one on me too. It has been a while since I have broken in a new engine, but I don't recall other vehicles burning oil at first. No visible drips.
Sponsored

Puch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
Occupation
Electronics technician
Any body else found their oil to be a quart low after 2000 miles.? The steel cable dipstick is a new one on me too. It has been a while since I have broken in a new engine, but I don't recall other vehicles burning oil at first. No visible drips.
Yes, mine sounded a little noisy so I checked it at 1000 miles. It was down almost one quart. I just changed the oil and filter at 2500 and it was down about 1/2 quart.
I like to do the first two oil changes at 2500 and 5000 when it’s new. I did found a small amount of metal flakes in the filter when I change it. Not too concerned yet. I don’t think it’s unusual to find a few very small flakes with a new engine, but I’m watching it closely.

Saltymedic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Gladiator Sport Eco-d
Occupation
Retired Fire-Medic
Yes, mine sounded a little noisy so I checked it at 1000 miles. It was down almost one quart. I just changed the oil and filter at 2500 and it was down about 1/2 quart.
I like to do the first two oil changes at 2500 and 5000 when it’s new. I did found a small amount of metal flakes in the filter when I change it. Not too concerned yet. I don’t think it’s unusual to find a few very small flakes with a new engine, but I’m watching it closely.
Which oil did you go with?

OP
OP
WMWHV

WMWHV

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
I am assuming the oil in it is the FCA oil, so I sucked it up and got some from the dealer to top it off.

Sponsored

Puch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
Occupation
Electronics technician
Which oil did you go with?
I converted from Toyota to Jeep this year. I always used Mobile 1. Never had any engine issues (caused by oil) so I stuck with that. You?

Saltymedic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Gladiator Sport Eco-d
Occupation
Retired Fire-Medic
I converted from Toyota to Jeep this year. I always used Mobile 1. Never had any engine issues (caused by oil) so I stuck with that. You?
With all the drama I've seen on the forums with folks trying to figure out just what oil to use, I was just curious which oil people were going with on here.

I haven't changed the oil as of yet, I'm still on my second tank of diesel since new. I'm starting to come to the conclusion that the eco-d just needs a good clean oil with the "SN" API. I've seen several great oils with that designation that isn't included on this forums oil list. Personally, I'd love to stick with Shell or Mobil but we'll see.

Gladiator_92

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport EcoDiesel
Occupation
Project Management
Vehicle Showcase
Saw this thread so I went out to check mine.. sure enough, the dip stick was bone dry... Only 2700 miles on mine too. I then went to NAPA and dropped a quart in and that brought it up to about 3/4 up the dip stick. WTF???
I am going to take it into the dealer for a free oil change next week and see what they think. Definitely keeping an eye on it from now on, which I can't believe I need to do on a brand new vehicle in 2020.

OP
OP
WMWHV

WMWHV

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
I need to provide an update on mine. It has been in the garage the past week and I have been driving my other truck.. I got the OEM oil and went out to put in a quart, but decided to check the dipstick again. It was reading only 1/3 quart low Instead of just shy of a quart. When I checked it before, it had been sitting overnight. I started it, pulled it out of the garage to wash it, maybe 30 feet or so, then turned it off. I checked the oil after that. The manual says to check it with the engine warm after letting it sit for five minutes or so. So, I did not follow the instructions. I have never noticed that much of a variation in oil levels before between cold and warm engines. I am going to check it again per the manual instructions when it is next out and about and see if this engine is just sensitive to how it is checked. Hard to believe over half a quart of cold oil could have been clinging to engine components after running it for such a short time, but it is possible.

MrZappo

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Computer Consultant
I need to provide an update on mine. It has been in the garage the past week and I have been driving my other truck.. I got the OEM oil and went out to put in a quart, but decided to check the dipstick again. It was reading only 1/3 quart low Instead of just shy of a quart. When I checked it before, it had been sitting overnight. I started it, pulled it out of the garage to wash it, maybe 30 feet or so, then turned it off. I checked the oil after that. The manual says to check it with the engine warm after letting it sit for five minutes or so. So, I did not follow the instructions. I have never noticed that much of a variation in oil levels before between cold and warm engines. I am going to check it again per the manual instructions when it is next out and about and see if this engine is just sensitive to how it is checked. Hard to believe over half a quart of cold oil could have been clinging to engine components after running it for such a short time, but it is possible.

Not clinging per se but definitely still in the top end and flowing back down is possible ...

Also, just pointing out that it should also be checked on level ground ... You mentioned pulling it out of the garage and (in my case at least) my sloped driveway would cause a bad oil level reading ...

Maybe not in your case but thought it was worth mentioning ...

TP

Sponsored

OP
OP
WMWHV

WMWHV

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Not clinging per se but definitely still in the top end and flowing back down is possible ...

Also, just pointing out that it should also be checked on level ground ... You mentioned pulling it out of the garage and (in my case at least) my sloped driveway would cause a bad oil level reading ...

Maybe not in your case but thought it was worth mentioning ...

TP
Yes, very true. My driveway is pretty flat, so that is not the difference.

Gladiator_92

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Project Management
Vehicle Showcase
That is a good point and I was worried about the same thing. I should have mentioned that I checked the oil cold and after a drive. Both times there are barely anything on the dip stick. I am hoping it just came low from the factory.

Riccochet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JKR | 2020 Ram 2500 | 2021 JT Sport
Perfectly normal for a new engine to burn some oil during break in. The rings haven't fully seated allowing oil to get by. Coupled with the PCV system it's not uncommon to see a 1 - 1.5 quarts used during the first 5000 miles.

Also to note. Modern engines don't break in quickly. Takes a solid 20k-30k miles before wear in metals start to decrease. If you get your oil tested with Blackstone you will see elevated levels of iron and copper in the oil, gradually decreasing over that 20k-30k.

Gladiator_92

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Project Management
Vehicle Showcase
Perfectly normal for a new engine to burn some oil during break in. The rings haven't fully seated allowing oil to get by. Coupled with the PCV system it's not uncommon to see a 1 - 1.5 quarts used during the first 5000 miles.

Also to note. Modern engines don't break in quickly. Takes a solid 20k-30k miles before wear in metals start to decrease. If you get your oil tested with Blackstone you will see elevated levels of iron and copper in the oil, gradually decreasing over that 20k-30k.
Good to know!

ssteve

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
camaro, audi Q, cj2a, ram
If you read about the previous generation ecodiesels on the ram forums, its pretty common that these motors have a significant amount of blow by and a lot of people recommend a catch can on those trucks. I would assume the 3rd gen won't be significantly different. Might be worth looking into a catch can to see how much oil is going through the motor via the intake and turbo.
Sponsored