Sponsored

Low oil pressure warning after oil change.

Vtur

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTOD
Got a 21 JTRD with periodic low oil pressure light (although the pressure numbers seem normal). Warning light came on shortly after I personally changed the oil with mopar oil and filter provided by the dealership (33k miles/4th oil change. Three previous oil changes were completed by the dealership). At first I hand tightened the filter. After the LOP light came on I checked with a Harbor Freight (Pittsburgh) torque wrench which I set to a smidge past 18 ft lbs (25nm). The tool revealed I was slightly under torqued buy about a quarter turn. Light stayed off for a couple days. Went on a 1,500 mile road trip and had a few sporadic LOP warnings. Got home about a week later and took it into the dealer who said it just needed a software update. LOP warning came back on before I got all the way home. Back to the dealer and they've decided to replace the oil pump and all associated components but they haven’t been able to actually identify the culprit. Got a call from the service writer yesterday who said the pump they received was the wrong one and the correct one is currently unavailable due to the strike. Service writer has exceptional customer service and they’ve put me in a nice Wagoneer loaner. This combo had kept me from going bezerk. My service writer made some special request to Jeep to expedite the part so hopefully next week I’ll hear good news. I hope it fixes the problem because I love the diesel in this platform. I’ll keep y’all posted.
Sounds like an incompetent troubleshooting by the dealer. Throwing parts at it and hopes for the best.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Pilot425

Pilot425

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon Ecodiesel
Occupation
Pilot
Got a 21 JTRD with periodic low oil pressure light (although the pressure numbers seem normal). Warning light came on shortly after I personally changed the oil with mopar oil and filter provided by the dealership (33k miles/4th oil change. Three previous oil changes were completed by the dealership). At first I hand tightened the filter. After the LOP light came on I checked with a Harbor Freight (Pittsburgh) torque wrench which I set to a smidge past 18 ft lbs (25nm). The tool revealed I was slightly under torqued buy about a quarter turn. Light stayed off for a couple days. Went on a 1,500 mile road trip and had a few sporadic LOP warnings. Got home about a week later and took it into the dealer who said it just needed a software update. LOP warning came back on before I got all the way home. Back to the dealer and they've decided to replace the oil pump and all associated components but they haven’t been able to actually identify the culprit. Got a call from the service writer yesterday who said the pump they received was the wrong one and the correct one is currently unavailable due to the strike. Service writer has exceptional customer service and they’ve put me in a nice Wagoneer loaner. This combo had kept me from going bezerk. My service writer made some special request to Jeep to expedite the part so hopefully next week I’ll hear good news. I hope it fixes the problem because I love the diesel in this platform. I’ll keep y’all posted.
It’s awesome that you have a Great dealer taking care of the problem and you.

LOGS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 LJ Rubicon
You try to torque it again a second time before taking it in? On my last oil change I had to torque the oil filter twice because the oil light came on again after the first time. This next time around I'm going to keep the torque wrench in the truck for a week or so just for this reason.

Vegas_Blue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTRD
Occupation
Retired
You try to torque it again a second time before taking it in? On my last oil change I had to torque the oil filter twice because the oil light came on again after the first time. This next time around I'm going to keep the torque wrench in the truck for a week or so just for this reason.
I only torqued it the one time after hand tightening

Vtur

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTOD
I only torqued it the one time after hand tightening
I would remove it, inspects the orings and reinstall or even try another filter. Avoiding the inconvenience and unnecessary repairs if possible.

Edit: Since the cap is quite sensitive to torque amount. It's best to use a torque wrench that's rated between 0-50ft lbs. Preferably dial or beam types.

Sponsored

Vegas_Blue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTRD
Occupation
Retired
I would remove it, inspects the orings and reinstall or even try another filter. Avoiding the inconvenience and unnecessary repairs if possible.

Edit: Since the cap is quite sensitive to torque amount. It's best to use a torque wrench that's rated between 0-50ft lbs. Preferably dial or beam types.
That’s good advice, and I probably will spring for a better quality (accurate) torque wrench. But for now, the Jeep is already at the dealership so not much I can do at this point, gotta see how it plays out.

Vegas_Blue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTRD
Occupation
Retired
Update; after 7 weeks, the Gladiator is still at the dealership service department. They say the oil pump is bad but no diesel oil pumps are available anywhere. They said it’s likely because of the strike. I asked about my HPFP recall and was told that the parts for that fix are also unavailable at this time. Only good news is Jeep has been paying for a Wagoneer rental the whole time.

Sank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
05 LJR, 22 JTRD
There's a decent chance the oil pump isn't bad, but the oil pressure sensor was tricked with this filter cap torqueing issue. I removed and retorqued my filter earlier this month and haven't seen the error since...if I ever do I'll be sure to update this thread.

SargeDiesel

First Name
michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon Diesel
Occupation
Retired Military
I will second the oil filter thing. I did the oil change myself and had the low low pressure light come on at a stop. You have to make sure the oil filter is completely seated and screwed all the way in
I know this post is a little old.... but I just did my first oil change and I didn't have a 3/8" to 1/2" adapter, so I couldn't torque my filter....

Would you mind taking a pic of your oil filter from underneath the vehicle, unless you can get a side shot.

The reason I ask is, on the oil filter , there is a ridge above the threads where it screws in the housing. I'm trying to figure out if it is supposed to be flush with the oil filter housing or if there is a gap.
Jeep Gladiator Low oil pressure warning after oil change. 51v0l7pPp-L._AC_UF894,1000_QL80_ (1)

Any help is appreciated.

Last edited:

SargeDiesel

First Name
michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Military
I just did my first oil change and I didn't have a 3/4 to 1/2 drive adapter, so I couldn't torque my filter....

Would you mind taking a pic of your oil filter from underneath the vehicle, unless you can get a side shot.

The reason I ask is, on the oil filter , there is a ridge above the threads where it screws in the housing. I'm trying to figure out if it is supposed to be flush with the oil filter housing or if there is a gap.

My oil pressure hasn't dipped really low, but it normally stayed at 19psi before the oil change and now it has gone to 16-18psi.... maybe normal since new oil and clean oil filter circulate better making lower pressure ?

It does stay around 30 doing a normal drive... one thing I did notice because I never watched my oil pressure gauge while driving... is on a colder engine, if I really take off, my pressure when up to 70-80 psi and once warmed up maybe 50-60... is this normal ?

Pic of the ridge I'm taking about.

Jeep Gladiator Low oil pressure warning after oil change. 51v0l7pPp-L._AC_UF894,1000_QL80_ (1)

Sponsored

SargeDiesel

First Name
michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Military
Did my first oil change, and I noticed this leak afterwards, but I don't remember seeing it before. Can someone please tell me what part this is ? Looks like a heat sensor to me....
but
could changing the oil even cause a leak here ?I looked for oil spill from filling and any that might have spilled from removing the oil filter, but I didn't see any and I really dont think it could migrate to this location.

Jeep Gladiator Low oil pressure warning after oil change. 20231105_195543

Also can anyone tell me if the ridge above the threads on the oil filter are supposed to be flush or is there a gap between it and the oil filter housing ?

OP
OP
Pilot425

Pilot425

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon Ecodiesel
Occupation
Pilot
Did my first oil change, and I noticed this leak afterwards, but I don't remember seeing it before. Can someone please tell me what part this is ? Looks like a heat sensor to me....
but
could changing the oil even cause a leak here ?I looked for oil spill from filling and any that might have spilled from removing the oil filter, but I didn't see any and I really dont think it could migrate to this location.

Also can anyone tell me if the ridge above the threads on the oil filter are supposed to be flush or is there a gap between it and the oil filter housing ?

The ridge you have highlighted does sit flush with housing. I will try and provide picture tomorrow.

Vtur

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTOD
but

The ridge should be flush with the housing. The 18ft lb torque is against that ridge and the housing.

SargeDiesel

First Name
michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Military
The ridge you have highlighted does sit flush with housing. I will try and provide picture tomorrow.
@Pilot425
@Vtur
I didnt want to over tighten... I will put a torque wrench on it tomorrow... just a little nervous on first change.. to many cracked housings. Thanks for confirming..

Hopefully that might be the cause of the oil leak... possibly a small amount is coming out... I just didn't think it could reach that location from were the oil filter housing is... but now that I zoom in on the pic, it looks like it migrated from the sides of the trans housing.

I will clean the oil where the leak is and torque the filter.. need a 3/4 to 1/2 socket adapter first.

Is it also normal to have a small pool of oil left in the housing when you remove the filter ?
Jeep Gladiator Low oil pressure warning after oil change. 20231105_155547

Rusty PW

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTRD, '11 370Z Nismo, '07 Honda VFR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Muff Diver
@Pilot425
@Vtur
I didnt want to over tighten... I will put a torque wrench on it tomorrow... just a little nervous on first change.. to many cracked housings. Thanks for confirming..

Hopefully that might be the cause of the oil leak... possibly a small amount is coming out... I just didn't think it could reach that location from were the oil filter housing is... but now that I zoom in on the pic, it looks like it migrated from the sides of the trans housing.

I will clean the oil where the leak is and torque the filter.. need a 3/4 to 1/2 socket adapter first.

Is it also normal to have a small pool of oil left in the housing when you remove the filter ?
Jeep Gladiator Low oil pressure warning after oil change. 20231105_155547
The oil pool. Mine had it.
Sponsored