First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator, 2005 Crossfire Roadster
Occupation
Financial Advisor
I'm sure that many long time Jeepers already know this, but I was attempting to back my Rubicon in the driveway, and I could not get it into Reverse. P, N, and D all worked fine, but when I attempted to put it in R, the indicator light flashed, and the transmission would not engage. Tried several times and nothing. I didn't have a lot of room to the garage wall, but I could get into D and the truck would creep forward, but no reverse.

As I was merely attempting to back further away from the garage wall I hadn't closed the driver's door all the way, and I hadn't put on my seatbelt. I did both of these and voila...Snazzleberry went into Reverse with no issue.

Is this something new, or has the new 8 Spd auto always done this? Whatever the case, I was a but surprised that I could drive ahead with the door unlatched, but not back.
Sponsored

Josh00333

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Freedom
Build Thread
Link
Think it has to do with the seatbelt, you can buy an extension to shut that off. Not sure on the door closed as well.

869 KPH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JTR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Hot Dog Vendor
Anyone know if enabling off-road+ or whatever disables this?

HTandB

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Gladiator, '69 Mach 1, '99 TJ
Occupation
Retired Military, Current Crime Analyst
Anyone know if enabling off-road+ or whatever disables this?
With the seatbelt on you can open the door and back up, or with the door wiring harness disconnected (doors removed) it disables it. Don't think there is any other way to get around it.

Autopark conditions are covered in the owners manual (pg 146-47). There is also a seat sensor tied in, so if your weight isn't on the seat it can trigger it as well.

Last edited:

Sponsored

DreamedofaJeepSomeday

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland 6-speed. 2004 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab 4x4, gave to daughter w/350K miles
Occupation
Civil Engineer
This is not related to OP's particular observation, but I was reluctant to start a whole new thread since many JT owners probably already know this.

I usually carry my key fob in a belt holster, so I know it is always with me. Saturday last I was doing fixit work so did not have the nice holster on my belt, just put the other fob in my pocket.

For some reason I removed it from pocket while going to Home Depot (probably to get something else out), and forgot about it when I got out of the truck, left it laying on the passenger seat. Hit lock button on door as is my usual practice, stepped out and shut door.. This would normally be a big OOPS with previous vehicles.

But the JT was smarter than me, and as I began to walk away gave me three short beeps of the horn. This caused me to realize my mistake; turned around, and voila! the door is unlocked so I can retrieve my fob.

Thanks, FCA. A great "safety" feature discovered by accident!

H_pipe

First Name
H-
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator, Max Tow
Build Thread
Link
With the seatbelt on you can open the door and back up, or with the door wiring harness disconnected (doors removed) it disables it. Don't think there is any other way to get around it.

Autopark conditions are covered in the owners manual (pg 146-47). There is also a seat sensor tied in, so if your weight isn't on the seat it can trigger it as well.
Thanks for the info. I thought it was only the seat that triggered it.
I first learned of this shortly after getting my ‘17 Ram. My ‘15 Ram did not have it and it was a rude awakening on the ‘17.

Bull Islander

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.sea-cups.com
Vehicle(s)
21 Gladiator Mojave Sting Grey. 2018 Audi S5
I participated in another thread on this. I very much dislike this "safety" feature. Apparently it was designed by lawyers in the wake of some actor who ran himself over. Ironic of all the things on a jeep that could be "unsafe" and we are forced to deal with this for those perilous driveway maneuvers. I actually bought a seat belt extender (just the buckle insert) from amazon. It does the trick however it looks goofy and I didn't like how it presses against my ribcage. So it took it out and resigned myself to making sure I pull the door shut. If I was messing around with alot of hopping in and out (like backing trailers etc) I'd put the seatbelt extender back in

H_pipe

First Name
H-
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator, Max Tow
Build Thread
Link
Good lord. It's auto park. It's standard.
Maybe “standard” starting on FCA cars in either ‘16 or ‘17?
Doesn’t matter if it is standard or not... it still throws people for a loop when they first experience it.

Sponsored

Kevin_D

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S, 1971 J4000, a bunch of other stuff
This is not related to OP's particular observation, but I was reluctant to start a whole new thread since many JT owners probably already know this.

I usually carry my key fob in a belt holster, so I know it is always with me. Saturday last I was doing fixit work so did not have the nice holster on my belt, just put the other fob in my pocket.

For some reason I removed it from pocket while going to Home Depot (probably to get something else out), and forgot about it when I got out of the truck, left it laying on the passenger seat. Hit lock button on door as is my usual practice, stepped out and shut door.. This would normally be a big OOPS with previous vehicles.

But the JT was smarter than me, and as I began to walk away gave me three short beeps of the horn. This caused me to realize my mistake; turned around, and voila! the door is unlocked so I can retrieve my fob.

Thanks, FCA. A great "safety" feature discovered by accident!
But if you shut the door three time with the keyfob inside, it WILL lock on the third try.

Kevin

Gladman

First Name
Alistair
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Overland High Altitude Diesel
Occupation
Retired
I thought I read in the manual that when driving in 4Lo the auto-park is disabled.

rr11

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT 2005 TJ 2003 F250
Occupation
Retired
I "discovered" the dreaded auto park one week in to ownership. First time I tried to spot my boat. I thought it was a electrical glitz, man was I upset.

doc-ketamine

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Apparently it was designed by lawyers in the wake of some actor who ran himself over. Ironic of all the things on a jeep that could be "unsafe" and we are forced to deal with this for those perilous driveway maneuvers.
Anton Yelchin. His death was a tragedy and totally avoidable. He got out of his Grand Cherokee to get his mail and the Jeep crushed him against a gate pillar. He likely died slowly of asphyxiation.

I'm happy to deal with this feature to avoid some deaths. YMMV.
Sponsored