Sponsored

Does anyone not regret ordering a hard top when they bought their Jeep?

eaglerugby04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gator Rubicon Gladiator, Toyota Prius, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Network Security
Since we are talking security I did find one flaw in the hard bed cover and soft top combo. The doors on the inside have an unlock button. I know we are talking an advanced criminal here, but has anybody figured out how to disable the unlock buttons on the doors? I was laughing at the irony when I installed it thinking my bed is more secure than my cab but then realized that flaw. Laughed even more when I realized that my truck is most secure with the doors off.

For the soft cover I don't think I could live without it as my only top. So many days here I can go topless then in under 30 seconds close it back up because rain is expected. With the weather we have been having I have had a ton of topless days, but with a hard top I would have only been able to have 1 or two.
Sponsored

Mikegcny

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Wrangler Willys 4xe
Occupation
Software Architect
The doors on the inside have an unlock button. I know we are talking an advanced criminal here, but has anybody figured out how to disable the unlock buttons on the doors?
Good catch.

Only way I could think of preventing this would be to have an option of 'unlock tailgate from remote fob or when vehicle is running'.

Punkngladiator

First Name
Colin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Tacoma gone soon 2020 gladiator on its way
I got the hard top waiting for a tan soft top

jmdwifi

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland
Occupation
Wireless Network engineer, Drummer of WOLF LEGION
Vehicle Showcase
I’m never really sure how to answer negatively phrased questions, but I’ll try. I don’t not regret that I didn’t order the soft top with my JT. I figured there might be some cool aftermarket soft top options that I wouldn’t want to not get, at a lesser price than the factory soft top. I’m hoping Bestop doesn’t not offer the Trektop NX for the JT.
I see what you did there. Good job. I read it twice and giggled.

jmdwifi

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland
Occupation
Wireless Network engineer, Drummer of WOLF LEGION
Vehicle Showcase
Good catch.

Only way I could think of preventing this would be to have an option of 'unlock tailgate from remote fob or when vehicle is running'.
I wonder if we could install a switch inside the bed area and run it to the lock of the tailgate. I have a hard cover, so when I want to lock the bed up with the top off, just switch power off to the tailgate and use the key to lock it. Anyone think this would not work :):):)

Sponsored

eaglerugby04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Network Security
Good catch.

That would be awesome if this feature existed.

I wonder if we could install a switch inside the bed area and run it to the lock of the tailgate. I have a hard cover, so when I want to lock the bed up with the top off, just switch power off to the tailgate and use the key to lock it. Anyone think this would not work :):):)
That would work, though probably be a tad annoying since you would lose the ability to unlock it with the FOB unfortunately. I wonder if the onboard computer would freak out though.

Mikegcny

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Wrangler Willys 4xe
Occupation
Software Architect
I wonder if we could install a switch inside the bed area and run it to the lock of the tailgate. I have a hard cover, so when I want to lock the bed up with the top off, just switch power off to the tailgate and use the key to lock it. Anyone think this would not work
I have the JL wiring schematics. I am thinking the JT is the same with replacing the swing gate with the tailgate.

You can do that. I think I am going to put an over-ride switch in my glove box that will only allow the tailgate to unlock:
  1. Vehicle Running and Secure Mode "ON" = FOB and Switches Unlock
  2. Vehicle Running and Secure Mode "OFF" = FOB and Switches Unlock
  3. Vehicle NOT Running and Secure Mode "ON" = FOB and Switches DO NOT unlock
  4. Vehicle NOT Running and Secure Mode "OFF" = FOB and Switches unlock
Of course the Lock switch or Fob would always be able to lock.

EDIT: Can also do this without a switch and simply have it toggle based on whether the doors are on or not. But this approach assumes you take your doors off with the top.

Last edited:

Rocksalt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport
Okay, here's a question for those of you with the soft top that live in colder climates. How do you get the frost/ice/snow off the rear vinyl window without scratching it all to hell with an ice scrapper? Just wait for it to melt?
mine hasnt really iced up. and heating the cab takes care of any frost.

BLK HOLE

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR, 2012 JKUR
Vehicle Showcase
Do you drive around with the hard top in the bed?

What do you do when you get to some destination and need to put the top up?
I don’t take the top off if I’m going to need it where I’m headed. I’d just pull the front panels then.

Or I can use my emergency top if it’s just so it can be stored outside over night.

Rebornfungus

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
Vehicle Showcase
I agree two clips and a little bit of effort to pull it back and its open. 5 minutes and I can remove the back windows and the top if I want as well with the 4 thumb screws I put in. way quicker and easier than the freedom pannels on my Dad's JK.
I'm buying a Soft Top off someone tomorrow who ordered dual and didn't want the soft. Where did you get your thumb screws? I'm looking to have a similar setup when spring comes soon.

Sponsored

eaglerugby04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Network Security

LSUFAN861

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hey just curious- does anyone have any regrets they got just a soft top and not the dual top option?

I kinda wish I had ordered the hard top at the time of purchase... three main reasons: 1) would be optimal in the winter 2) would extend the life of the soft top 3) THE AFTER MARKET PRICE IS RIDICULOUS!!!

I’m probably most frustrated with #3... currently no good after market options and a mopar hardtop is Almost 3k by the time you get everything you need.
I just purchased and it came with the hardtop and I can't wait to take it off. I've had soft tops before and I can already say, I'm going t love the hard top. Less noise and flapping and I'm sure leaking.

Rocksalt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
no flapping nor leaking on my premium soft top... cept the annoying rain gutter pouring in when the door is open in the rain... but that is the same with hard or soft top

whiteglad

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Mojave
The new premium soft top is far more user friendly than the older versions. Mine is as quiet as a hard top, easy to open.