Sponsored

Does anyone not regret ordering a hard top when they bought their Jeep?

jmdwifi

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland
Occupation
Wireless Network engineer, Drummer of WOLF LEGION
Vehicle Showcase
I traded my soft top to someone for a hardtop. Love the hardtop. I know nothing is 100% at stopping theft but I feel like I tried.
Sponsored

Dav6662

First Name
Wayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Ribicon
Vehicle Showcase
I would like to have a soft top, but honestly some after-market guru is going to have to design one that looks much better than the factory style before I will pull trigger....that "man bun" look is not happening on my Jeep.......I will just lift that hard top off and store it hanging from my ceiling until then.

tampahoosier

First Name
Heath
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Diesel Gladiator Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Cybersecurity - Cyber Intelligence
Vehicle Showcase
I live in Tampa, FL. For me the hard top was a must and made the most sense. It's my primary driver and we get a lot of rain and it's just too damn hot most of the year to drive with the top down when I'm going into work. BUT I do regret not getting the dual top group for the times in spring and summer the weather is good enough to put the top down. I have a 2.5 year old who's just not ready for full top down weather so it's way too much work to put the hard top off/on, even with a hard top hoist in the garage. I have to pull his car seat out every time I want to put the top on/off because I can't reach the screws back there... Anyone have any suggestions on that?

I DO regret not getting the Sting Grey body matched hard top though. I custom ordered and I kick myself every day. I would love to do a trade with someone plus some cash (I have a hot head headliner installed too) if there was someone wanting some cash and a black top.

Hootbro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
Hardtop, trunk, hard tonneau cover, or locked doors; challenge accepted.

home_security_burglar_crowbar.jpg

Thieves can get in your vehicle quickly, and they don't care about any damage to your property when they are determined to get in.
Anything is penetrable given enough motivation. That being said, there is still some degree of risk mitigation of having a hard top over a soft top for many thieves that are just targets of opportunity thieves moving about in their daily lives.

Anybody that has live in an apartment complex or regularly parks in sketchier parts of a town for any length of time to include myself can tell you that soft top vehicles get broken in at a exponentially higher rate. It is just easier.

Back in the 1980's, had a Army buddy that his soft top Suzuki Samurai cut and broken into on a almost monthly basis. Once he bought and installed a hard top conversion for it, that stopped his breaking into problems. Does not mean it became impenetrable, just the thieves who where regularly breaking in before moved on to easier targets.

Last edited:

Jeeperjamie

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator
Occupation
Weyerhaeuser
Vehicle Showcase
I regret getting the soft top on with mine. I have the hard and soft top and I'll never use the soft top. Pretty much a waste but the wife want let me sell it because she thinks as soon as I do I'll find a reason to need one again. So it's in the box it came in sitting in my garage. After having the soft top for 90% of the time on my JKU and going through 4 of them in 7years, and all the leaking that happens with them, I was pretty sure I wanted the hard top on my JT.

Sponsored

eaglerugby04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gator Rubicon Gladiator, Toyota Prius, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Network Security
I regret getting the soft top on with mine. I have the hard and soft top and I'll never use the soft top. Pretty much a waste but the wife want let me sell it because she thinks as soon as I do I'll find a reason to need one again. So it's in the box it came in sitting in my garage. After having the soft top for 90% of the time on my JKU and going through 4 of them in 7years, and all the leaking that happens with them, I was pretty sure I wanted the hard top on my JT.
Were all of your ones that got trashed the twill or black diamond material? That seems like a really high rate of failure.

Jeeperjamie

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator
Occupation
Weyerhaeuser
Vehicle Showcase
Were all of your ones that got trashed the twill or black diamond material? That seems like a really high rate of failure.
Three twill and one black diamond. First one was Black diamond and it started coming apart and the seam at 63,000 miles. In all fairness, one of the twill ones got cut up by someone trying to get inside.

Uparms

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JT, 2020 JT, 72 CJ5,2005 LJ, 2002 TJ, 92 YJ
Vehicle Showcase
If I had done the order I wanted, I would have ordered the HT. The great deal I got on 6 hours notice only had the Premium ST. I love it. Would have liked to try a hard top for my 5th Wrangler, but this Prem. ST is awesome. Back window and sides off and/ on faster then any previous jeep and a great built in bikini top.

If you can afford it or want to prioritize it, the dual top is a good choice, or go with HT and look at ST Toptions later.

eaglerugby04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gator Rubicon Gladiator, Toyota Prius, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Network Security
Three twill and one black diamond. First one was Black diamond and it started coming apart and the seam at 63,000 miles. In all fairness, one of the twill ones got cut up by someone trying to get inside.
Wow thats just terrible you got broken into that many times. I can see why you are not a fan of the soft top.

Sponsored

OP
OP
danielspivey

danielspivey

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 MAX TOW MAX TOW MAX TOW, 4.10s w 1583 payload
Wow thats just terrible you got broken into that many times. I can see why you are not a fan of the soft top.
I’m confused... did that many fail and fall apart or did that many get broken into?

Jeeperjamie

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator
Occupation
Weyerhaeuser
Vehicle Showcase
I’m confused... did that many fail and fall apart or did that many get broken into?
It got broken into once and cut up, that was my second twill one. My original Diamond Black one started coming apart at about 60,000 miles and was leaking. Second one got cut up. 3rd twill one leaked from the third or fourth day I put it on. I ran it for about 40,000 miles until I got tired of the leaking and bought all new track and everything for the soft top and another twill top. All that lasted a whole 8000 miles before it started leaking again. I kept it on and that was the one I had on my JKU when I sold it to buy the JT. They still gave me $11,000 for it with 132,000 miles on it and 2 inches of water in both floor boards and who knows how much in the rear of it. I told myself after that I would run a Hardtop fu time.

BAT

First Name
Blaine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Sport S Max Tow Sting Grey
Mine came with Hard Top but but I got lucky and found someone nearby selling there new Premium Soft top for super cheap so I bought it and its been on my truck ever since. Don't really see the hard top ever going back on unless something happens to the soft top to where I have to switch because I can't find another soft top for a decent price. I do wish though in the near future that some others will make some good aftermarket options with decent price. I actually ran across another premium soft top for sale for really good price and almost bought it for a spare but I just don't have any place to store it since I already have the hard top in storage. My wife commented just this evening that dang the heater in this truck is fantastic. It heats up so fast she was shocked.

Skull

First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mojave
Occupation
Aircraft Technician
Love my soft top and the ease of flipping it open but would like to get a hard top for winter months...waiting on a cheaper option than OEM or finding one on the used market..
Sponsored