Sponsored

Dometic or ARB fridge?

TheITGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E, 2021 Toyota Rav4 Limit
Yeti Cooler with ice, does the trick for me, wont last a week but a few days no problem.
A Yeti 65 should fit in the back with the seat flipped up. The JT has a couple more inches of leg room than my Ridgeline.

20190522_173752.jpg
Sponsored

OP
OP
steffen707

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Jetta TDI RIP, 89' Civic SI, 2019 Pacifica Hybrid, 2020 GLADIATOR SPORT S "GLADYS"
A Yeti 65 should fit in the back with the seat flipped up. The JT has a couple more inches of leg room than my Ridgeline.

20190522_173752.jpg
but my kid will be sitting there, lol.

Tortooga Custom Works

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladator Launch Edition | 2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited
I took some measurements today, trying to figure out what could fit with a tonneau on. The roll up tonneau gives about 18", but only to about 25" from the tailgate. Then there is a metal support that brings that 18" down to about 17.5"

Based on that, I think the following ARB fridges could fit. However, not sure about putting them on a slide:

ARB ELEMENTS FRIDGE 63 QUART - 17.1" (D) x 19.3" (W) x 32.3" (D)
ARB FRIDGE 37QT CLASSIC SERIES II - 16.9in" (H) x 15" (W) x 27.8" (D)
ARB FRIDGE 63QT CLASSIC SERIES II - 17" (H) x 17.7" (W) x 33.3" (D)

Either way, there's a good argument for getting a cap - or something higher than the tonneau. Which brings up a good question - how much height do you have with the hard covers. I'll post that in those other threads.

OP
OP
steffen707

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Jetta TDI RIP, 89' Civic SI, 2019 Pacifica Hybrid, 2020 GLADIATOR SPORT S "GLADYS"
Either way, there's a good argument for getting a cap - or something higher than the tonneau. Which brings up a good question - how much height do you have with the hard covers. I'll post that in those other threads.
Roughly 22" above bed rails.

Sponsored

Slapping_Rabbits

First Name
Nirzwan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep gladiator Rubicon, triumph rocket iii roadster
This is interesting. I was thinking of a cap and decked but need enough space for the dog kennel and fridge. Imagine what it's like when you actually have one and you can just go measure?

Tortooga Custom Works

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
This is interesting. I was thinking of a cap and decked but need enough space for the dog kennel and fridge. Imagine what it's like when you actually have one and you can just go measure?
Yea, the decked is out for me. Sorry decked.

I’m working on a custom slide for now and looking forward to either an enclosed cap, or a nuthouse industries rack.

smlobx

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR, F-350 diesel, Porsche Spyder, Model Y
Occupation
Semi retired consultant
Engel Coolers. They have a better compressor (more efficient and better insulation) than the others. little bit more but you get what you pay for. I have an Engel 60qt on my boat, which i am a full time liveaboard, and it only draws 1.5 amps when running. You need to thing about what amps a unit draws and how often if you are camping more than just one day. Better warranty and they will cover it anywhere in the world. You just have to get it to one of their suppliers. which isnt hard. Mine has been running for 2.5 years non stop in Fl, Bahamas and Caribbean using solar and wind power only.
We’ve been using Engel Coolers on Overlanding expeditions in Africa for the past couple of years.
Very impressed with the abuse we’ve given them and they performed surprisingly well.

One thing I would pass along is that since you don’t need any ice in an electric cooler you can probably get away with a smaller cooler than one where you have to put ice in every few days. I think the ones we were using in Africa were either 40 or 45 Liters.

Tortooga Custom Works

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
We’ve been using Engel Coolers on Overlanding expeditions in Africa for the past couple of years.
Very impressed with the abuse we’ve given them and they performed surprisingly well.

One thing I would pass along is that since you don’t need any ice in an electric cooler you can probably get away with a smaller cooler than one where you have to put ice in every few days. I think the ones we were using in Africa were either 40 or 45 Liters.
They look solid: https://www.engelcoolers.com/shop/12-volt-portable-fridge-freezers.html
They all seem below the 17.5" height too...

Sponsored

smlobx

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR, F-350 diesel, Porsche Spyder, Model Y
Occupation
Semi retired consultant

I’m working on a custom slide for now and looking forward to either an enclosed cap, or a nuthouse industries rack.

Look at this video from the company we rent our vehicles from in Africa.
Between 1:25 and 1:50 they show the fridge and drawer system that works quite well. This is what I’m going to try and emulate.

OP
OP
steffen707

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

I'm making a custom 7" tall 2 drawer setup with water tank, then a 22" plywood topper with custom cutout for fridge area.