Don't Buy Roam Adventure Products

Offroadnewbie

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys Gladiator
Sorry for the long post but to sum it up Roam won't contact me or the vendor they had me drop a tent off for warranty work and just to get it to the vendor was a 2 1/2 month process.

I bought the Rambler tent from them in March of last year and for a few months everything was great. Then A few months later the Roam Adventure Comany name plates fell off the tent and it took them 6 months to send replacements and I had to send photos to them twice in order to get them replaced.

In April of this year I discovered the hardshell had cracked on the tent so I emailed them on the 17th. They said it was rare but that they would have it repaired but he had to contact someone to figure out how. They wouldn't swap the tent and said that having it sprayed with Line-X would be the correct solution. Roam then took 2 1/2 months to find a place and I feel like they only did after I gave them an ultimatum.

They emailed me about a month in saying they would email me in a couple of days with the location to drop the Rambler off and have it sprayed. I had a family situation that took me out of state for 2 weeks and during that time Roam never contacted me. When I got back I remembered a week later to follow up. A week after that the rep responds to me saying the first place fell through and that he would find another place. 20 days after no update I told him I either needed a location to drop the tent off they needed to send a replacement tent. 2 days after that he gives me a location in Boulder, CO to drop it off about 45 minutes from my house.

I call the shop the next day and the guy said he's booked 2 weeks out which is fine because it's at last getting taken care of. On July 17th I drop it off and email the rep saying it's dropped off. About 20 minutes later the shop calls me and says there is an issue with the weather stripping and it needs to be replaced and says he has contacted Roam about it. I also contact the rep but neither of us get a reply. I give it a couple of days and just buy some off Amazon and have it shipped. During that time the shop has finished the Line-X and puts the weather stripping on when I bring it by on Friday the 21st.

I emailed the rep and called Roam's number and left a voicemail for them letting them know the work was complete minus the weather stripping it was done since . They never contacted the shop.

Monday the 24th I emailed and called again. I then emailed the [email protected] which generated an automated response saying they were down a few CSRs and responses were delayed. Later that afternoon I get a response from a different CSR saying they would reach out to the original CSR and that there was a shake up on the team and they were behind.

Today the 26th after no follow up I emailed again saying if there was no update from the original CSR I needed to have a manager call me. Also now when you call Roam's number 512-380-1960 it just says their office is closed until July 31st.

All I need is one of their reps to call and pay for the work which they agreed to. As it sits right now no one is going to get back to me until Monday or Tuesday and the shop the tent is at is closed Friday through Tuesday next week and I supposed to be on a camping trip then anyway which now will be without the tent.

At this juncture you couldn't pay me to use a Roam product.
Sponsored

Jems007

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Geez. Glad I went with Ikamper. So far so good.

Sorry that happened to you. And since when is a bed liner going to repair a crack?

They shut down for a week at the end of July (busy camping season for their customers) while being behind on customer support issues?!

WILDHOBO

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Network Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Iā€™m really sorry youā€™re going through that. It sounds like Roam doesnā€™t care much about their customers. Not a great strategy, since theyā€™ve got plenty of competition. I highly recommend Roof Nest and IKamper instead. They both make great products. Roof Next is also local to CO. why did they think costing a broken fiberglass shell with LineX was going to hold? They should be replacing your tent, hands down. Isnā€™t the warranty better than one year?

darksidedesign

First Name
Preston
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Mojave in Gator
Occupation
Graphic Designer / Illustrator
I don't understand how companies like this don't make more of an effort to assure customer satisfaction. This is a real opportunity missed by ROAM. Instead of users complaining about their complete lack of customer service, this could have and should have been a quick and simple resolution. Replace the damn tent!

I will DEFINITELY avoid purchasing ROAM products in the future. I want my money to go to a company that will stand behind their product and make a genuine effort to make things right when there are issues. Shame on you, ROAM!

MMMII

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR - 2017 BMW X5
Occupation
Redfin - Real Estate Consultant
Iā€™ve been looking to upgrade to the Rambler model but stories like this scare the sh1t out of me.

I had luck with my current Vegabond clam shell but for $3,400+ Iā€™d rather see how this plays out for the OP before pulling the trigger on the hardshell model.

Keep us posted and good luck. I hope they step up.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Offroadnewbie

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys Gladiator
UPDATE:
I took a shot in the dark and figured out their email scheme since it's obfuscated externally, though it wasn't hard, and reached out to the Director of Operations at Roam. He called me 6 minutes later saying he would handle the issue. I won't know until tomorrow morning for sure but assuming he comes through I only wish the rest of the company was like him in handling the issue.

Rahkmalla

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Gobi Manual Mojave
Build Thread
Link
UPDATE:
I took a shot in the dark and figured out their email scheme since it's obfuscated externally, though it wasn't hard, and reached out to the Director of Operations at Roam.
Due to my job, I have to argue with people on the phone all the time. Shipping lines have notoriously bad, lazy, and flat out lying first level customer service agents. My trick is to keep going up the chain until you get someone high enough who's first reaction is "this isn't my job, how did this shit get to me"

The worst ever though is DHL. Besides moving containers with shipping lines, we also move negotiable documents for said containers. DHL is the king in overseas parcell so if you want to access all continents with door to door traceability you are forced to deal with them.

Things had gotten so bad, I did a little digging and found the email address of the CEO of DHL USA. It's amazing how quickly things get fixed when a guy with all the power to get shit accomplished sees a problem that's well below his pay grade and calls someone below him and just says "get it fixed whatever it takes"

Hopefully you have a similar payoff with the Director of Ops as I did with DHL USA's CEO. But if you don't, you can always go higher.

WILDHOBO

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Network Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
UPDATE:
I took a shot in the dark and figured out their email scheme since it's obfuscated externally, though it wasn't hard, and reached out to the Director of Operations at Roam. He called me 6 minutes later saying he would handle the issue. I won't know until tomorrow morning for sure but assuming he comes through I only wish the rest of the company was like him in handling the issue.
Iā€™m glad there is traction. Too bad you n the dad to circumvent their normal process to get anything done. I donā€™t want a product that requires hunting down a director in order to get a warranty claim processed.

OP
OP

Offroadnewbie

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys Gladiator
Due to my job, I have to argue with people on the phone all the time. Shipping lines have notoriously bad, lazy, and flat out lying first level customer service agents. My trick is to keep going up the chain until you get someone high enough who's first reaction is "this isn't my job, how did this shit get to me"

The worst ever though is DHL. Besides moving containers with shipping lines, we also move negotiable documents for said containers. DHL is the king in overseas parcell so if you want to access all continents with door to door traceability you are forced to deal with them.

Things had gotten so bad, I did a little digging and found the email address of the CEO of DHL USA. It's amazing how quickly things get fixed when a guy with all the power to get shit accomplished sees a problem that's well below his pay grade and calls someone below him and just says "get it fixed whatever it takes"

Hopefully you have a similar payoff with the Director of Ops as I did with DHL USA's CEO. But if you don't, you can always go higher.
I've always tried to avoid doing that but sometimes it can't be avoided.

As an aside I've never had a good delivery with DHL šŸ˜†

gecko_rubi

First Name
Nicholas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜81 CJ-5, ā€˜05 LJ, ā€˜21 JTRD
Occupation
Architect
That sucks! As Iā€™m reading this I am just shaking my head thinking ā€œhow do companies operate like this!?ā€ Iā€™m sure a lot of us think ā€œif I acted like this at my job, or treated my customers/clients like this I would be out on my assā€. Sorry you have to go through this and hopefully it is not indicative of the companyā€™s practices but it is always good to have this insight. We spend a lot of money on our toys to not be screwed with - so while it may sound like complaining to some, itā€™s appreciated by others.

Sponsored

BAT

First Name
Blaine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Sport S Max Tow Sting Grey

Hey, Hey now I work for DHL (LOL). But I work on the industrial side and sounds like your dealing with the Express group

Silverator

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JT Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Music
My experience with Roam is that their website looks KILLER, but the actual logistics are a nightmare. Out of stock, in stock, out of stock, "hey you left an item in your cart, don't you want to order". Why yes, thanks. Hit "purchase", then your order is cancelled due to out of stock even though they are prodding me to buy. Sent MULTIPLE emails, always got back a cute, earthy email about them wheeling out in the woods with friends and family. But I never got a question answered. Eventually I did purchase a pair of their cases. Great quality. Love that. Kinda expensive - but worth it to me as it was on 4th of July sale and the perfect size. THEN, they charged me for Tuscon city tax, and Pima county tax. I don't even live anywhere near there. WTH?!?!?!?!? Sent an email addressing that, and got an immediate refund. But still no contact. That's the death of a company. Delivery was super speedy and fast though. Surprisingly. Tuesday deliver on a Sunday order.

To me, it seems like they are heavily web automated with no one with any business sense backing things up.

@Offroadnewbie - sorry for your hassles and aggravation. I hope the head honcho makes things right for you!! Make sure to let him/her know that their customer service - or lack thereof - is not going unnoticed.

jjs3845

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Gladiator Overland

Your post makes me think of a pair of pants I ordered from a company that shipped DHL. I live in PA, and the pants came out of NJ. DHL took the package and shipped it to CA, back to NJ, then to me. No wonder shipping costs are out of hand. That package had some miles on it before I got it

Reddog

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Retired Army. Retired Construction Manager / Contracting Officer

I agree with you. I never stop with customer service agents. I keep going up the chain until I get someone who cares enough to work with me. I have gone to the CEO of Home Depot and a couple other company's when I believed I was right and the company was ignoring or blowing me off. And I remember how I was treated, both good and bad when I shop. Good customer service is a dying event. Just wait until all customer service is run by AI.

keithcroshaw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Sport S
Don't get a Roofnest Awning while you're at it.
My zipper ripped.
Wimpy little teeth on the zipper track.
Now I've got a really expensive flag with wires for the lights hanging out probably corroding...
Sponsored