Sponsored

Draining water from fuel filter/separator - Info?

mrmo

First Name
Mrmo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator
Occupation
nuke
Yeah the filter change is fun, get a large oil drain pan, cuz it will go everywhere. I tried to drain it as much as possible, used caution backing it out, trying to keep control of the spewage, lol, yeah...wrong. Goes all over the place. Not hard just a mess.
Sponsored

SargeDiesel

First Name
michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon Diesel
Occupation
Retired Military
I keep see everyone holding bottles up to the drain, why not use about 2 foot or so of 3/8" fuel line , run it in the bottle and open the drain plug, seems like it would make life a little easier.

Motopilot0311

First Name
Stu
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTRD, 2019 KTM SuperDuke 1290R
Occupation
Fabrication Operations manager themed entertainment industry
I keep see everyone holding bottles up to the drain, why not use about 2 foot or so of 3/8" fuel line , run it in the bottle and open the drain plug, seems like it would make life a little easier.
Yeah, this. I used a peice of fuel line and drained the filter housing into a bottle when I changed my filter. Also, a Fumoto oil drain petcock is amazing. Get some hose, run it to oil drain pan, open petcock and no mess at all.

https://www.fumotousa.com/f106n.html

OP
OP

mystic330

First Name
B
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JTRD
Changed my filter today.
In looking at the cap design - The cap has a lower section under where the filter sets - that's only open from the center hole. So once fuel drains down to the top of the center hole level, there's still about an inch sitting in the cap that won't go down the hole. (be aware when unscrewing it - you will have to dump out more fuel once it's off).

I do see the 2 electrodes sticking down also - assuming they are the water sensor.

IMG_2798.JPG

IMG_2799.JPG

Rusty PW

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTRD, '11 370Z Nismo, '07 Honda VFR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Muff Diver
Changed my filter today.
In looking at the cap design - The cap has a lower section under where the filter sets - that's only open from the center hole. So once fuel drains down to the top of the center hole level, there's still about an inch sitting in the cap that won't go down the hole. (be aware when unscrewing it - you will have to dump out more fuel once it's off).

I do see the 2 electrodes sticking down also - assuming they are the water sensor.

Jeep Gladiator Draining water from fuel filter/separator - Info? IMG_2799.JPG

Jeep Gladiator Draining water from fuel filter/separator - Info? IMG_2799.JPG
Yep, the 2 electrodes sticking down are for the the water sensor. They work off of conductive in the water.

Sponsored

Dougstdig

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘21 JTRD - '08 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4
This is what I did. I placed the 20oz coke bottle on the ground and cut the hose to where it went 1/2 way into the the bottle. Opened the drain and let it run until it stopped draining. When done I set it aside over night to see the result, which was a tiny amount of water that collected in the footpads of the bottle. I ended up carefully pouring about 80% of the fuel back into the tank.

LBL Chief

First Name
Robin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
lamhbatalann.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon EcoDiesel Red
Occupation
Martial arts instructor
Yeah, this. I used a peice of fuel line and drained the filter housing into a bottle when I changed my filter. Also, a Fumoto oil drain petcock is amazing. Get some hose, run it to oil drain pan, open petcock and no mess at all.

https://www.fumotousa.com/f106n.html
Did you replace your fuel petcock with a Fumoto?
Sponsored