OP
OP

jonaandcaleb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT
@Shootist
I think we all agree here there is a better way as well as others on other forums & threads that are not exclusive to the JT but the JL is suffering the same issues too.
But the question that all remains is FCA going to do anything about it or just keep passing the blame to a "user issue" and not a defect as what was told to me by the dealership.
I was shown that FCA did a bulletin about it, but states it is not a defect with the connector; it is a user problem, thus customer must pay for the fix. This tells me that they know of the issue because why would they issue a bulletin if it wasn't common?

FCA please please please issue a recall and fix it so we can do what we bought a Jeep for; taking the doors and top off!
Sponsored

JTBurns

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
Question: Does the male connector just pull off with a little force or is there something else I need to do? I don't really want to contort myself anymore if I can just leave it disconnected.

I also considered just not reconnecting it (I leave the back window disconnected sometimes) but then I would be stuck with the windows down since that's how I take them off. Not the end of the world, but probably defeats the purpose of putting the doors back on. If the pins break, I figure that's the boat I'll be in.
You can pop the male connector off the side with a flat head screwdriver. That's what I did and it was much easier to see which pins needed to be bent back. I couldn't contort my body to see it otherwise, though I probably tried for an hour. I was extra careful the next time I took the doors off, but luckily it connected fine the next time.

NaughtyGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gator JTR
I was shown that FCA did a bulletin about it, but states it is not a defect with the connector; it is a user problem, thus customer must pay for the fix.

@JeepCares , this is where you need to get with engineering as you stated earlier in the thread you do. This comes off as blatantly anticonsumer and borderline fraudulent. If the issue is common enough that you have to issue a bulletin to your dealer network explaining it's the users fault, quit filing warranty claims, it is an engineering issue that needs corrected. FCA is abusing us and it's not appreciated.

eaglerugby04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gator Rubicon Gladiator, Toyota Prius, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Network Security
@eaglerugby04

For me, I have too much stuff that needs to be connected; proximity key, Blind Spot, Power Windows, locks, mirrors etc. However, if you don't have that stuff, and you are ok with the stuff that's not hooked up not working then you could leave it alone, especially if you are like going to drive it a day or two with the doors on (for weather as an example) then take them back off. I do this with the connection for the top for the rear defrost, which is know for breaking too. I never connect it back until i know it's going to be on for the colder season.
And thats the thing I don't have most of those options. Really windows is the only thing that would get me. I haven't adjusted the mirrors since I drove it home.

Thinking about it not sure how I would get away with trying to block out a storm with the doors since the window will be down.

OP
OP

jonaandcaleb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT
And thats the thing I don't have most of those options. Really windows is the only thing that would get me. I haven't adjusted the mirrors since I drove it home.

Thinking about it not sure how I would get away with trying to block out a storm with the doors since the window will be down.
You could figure out which pins are the power windows, and just supply external power to them and roll them up and then back down. Maybe more trouble than it's worth.

I will say that the Mopar cab cover works really well. It keeps rain out, even during a heavy storm, I did not receive any water inside. I mean none! The trick is to not allow it to pool up between the windshield and the sport bar. That's another thread I can start if need be...

Sponsored

eaglerugby04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gator Rubicon Gladiator, Toyota Prius, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Network Security
You could figure out which pins are the power windows, and just supply external power to them and roll them up and then back down. Maybe more trouble than it's worth.

I will say that the Mopar cab cover works really well. It keeps rain out, even during a heavy storm, I did not receive any water inside. I mean none! The trick is to not allow it to pool up between the windshield and the sport bar. That's another thread I can start if need be...
It doesn't technically cover with the soft top on and doors off is the only issue I have found. With some effort I can keep most water out but not all

NaughtyGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gator JTR
Just so everyone is aware, I have confirmation that the bulletin from FCA to dealers does in fact exist. The folks who have access to this document have been specifically forbidden from sharing it with customers under threat of criminal prosecution. If you have a good relationship with your dealer there's a chance they can direct you where to start looking in troubleshooting the issue. I sure would like access to that document.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Just so everyone is aware, I have confirmation that the bulletin from FCA to dealers does in fact exist. The folks who have access to this document have been specifically forbidden from sharing it with customers under threat of criminal prosecution. If you have a good relationship with your dealer there's a chance they can direct you where to start looking in troubleshooting the issue. I sure would like access to that document.
You mean the bulletin about the bent pins, and customers routinely bending them when taking the doors off and reinstalling them?

Begin by verifying all of the inline door connectors are fully connected and locked. It is
advised to inspect the Drivers XY600A and Passengers XY650A inline door
connectors for pushed out or damaged pin/terminals. Damage has been found on
pin/terminals 17(Lock Switch Return) and 18(Door Ajar Switch Sense) of the drivers
and passengers inline door connectors.

NaughtyGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gator JTR
Crazy customers repeatedly bending or breaking the same pins. It's almost like there's an engineering flaw causing a very specific problem or something.

Thank you @ShadowsPapa for sharing the specifics. Hopefully some folks affected by this can use that for some self help.

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
OP
OP

jonaandcaleb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT
I found this with what @ShadowsPapa provided.

Bulletin
Jeep Gladiator Driver's Door Electrical Connection Its Common

I love how it says on the bottom next to last page "Note: It is common for the customer to damages pins and terminals when they remove and install the doors."

If it's so dang common, sounds like to me it's not a user problem, but a defect in the connector. It spells it out right there in black and white that they know of the issue! The connector is made so that you really can't insert it sideways or backwards or even crooked. The latch that you pull is what forces the connectors back together. After I paid to have it corrected, I asked the service manager to show me the "correct" way to remove and replace, he wouldn't even do it because he knew it wouldn't work when replaced. In fact, when I did this at home, low and behold, it didn't work. I had to rework the pins yet again for it to work. If one of FCA's service manager can't do it correctly, how are customers suppose to do it correctly?

I feel like FCA don't care about their customers and it will never be resolved to our satisfaction. Maybe I should have looked at the Taco or Canyon/Colorado a little more, but removing the top and doors sold me to the JT.

OP
OP

jonaandcaleb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT
It doesn't technically cover with the soft top on and doors off is the only issue I have found. With some effort I can keep most water out but not all
Yes-that is one of the downfaults of the cover; top must be removed. I have tried with just the freedom panels in, and it works based on how it fit, although it wasn't rain tested. They say you can put it on with the doors on (and roof off) and it still works, but I can't confirm that.

NaughtyGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gator JTR
Maybe if we all get in our spouse's vehicles and go test drive a JT and JL at every local dealership and have the salesman show us how "easy" it is to remove the doors enough will be damaged on the dealer's dime that they'll take action to get it corrected.

OP
OP

jonaandcaleb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT
Maybe if we all get in our spouse's vehicles and go test drive a JT and JL at every local dealership and have the salesman show us how "easy" it is to remove the doors enough will be damaged on the dealer's dime that they'll take action to get it corrected.
Nah....the service manager at those dealerships will just say the sales guy did it wrong. :LOL:
Sponsored