Sponsored

DV8 new rear bumper, looks pretty promising!

guitarshredder7

First Name
Noah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR Manual
Occupation
A&P
https://dv8offroad.com/collections/jeep-jt-rear-bumpers/products/jeep-gladiator-off-road-rear-bumper

So they just released this.

Looks pretty neat and I am very tempted....

A few important questions remain though,

Do the rubi bed sliders still fit? (looks like they should be able to)

What is the weight rating on that integrated receiver?

Is the higher clearance worth the lost protection of a more traditional "beefy" bumper?

They have yet to post anything about the first two questions. I will be calling them Monday.
Sponsored

OP
OP
guitarshredder7

guitarshredder7

First Name
Noah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR Manual
Occupation
A&P
https://dv8offroad.com/collections/jeep-jt-rear-bumpers/products/jeep-gladiator-off-road-rear-bumper

So they just released this.

Looks pretty neat and I am very tempted....

A few important questions remain though,

Do the rubi bed sliders still fit? (looks like they should be able to)

What is the weight rating on that integrated receiver?

Is the higher clearance worth the lost protection of a more traditional "beefy" bumper?

They have yet to post anything about the first two questions. I will be calling them Monday.

Side note, I am not a fan of that plate bracket, I would definitely be purchasing some amazon "flip brackets" and mounting the plate right in front of the receiver.

FLUndertaker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport, 1986 Jeep CJ7
Iā€™ve only seen a few DV8 products up close in person but none of them have impressed me in terms of quality, fit, or finish. I would like to know where they are made.

Renegade

First Name
Zac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT
Build Thread
Link
Iā€™ve only seen a few DV8 products up close in person but none of them have impressed me in terms of quality, fit, or finish. I would like to know where they are made.
I had a pair of their step sliders that bent into the rocker of my Jeep. Iā€™m pretty sure they were made in China. I never should have installed themā€¦

andrew8404

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Paramedic
This looks awesome. I also wonder about the sliders. Though you are able to fit theirs.

Side note, I am not a fan of that plate bracket, I would definitely be purchasing some amazon "flip brackets" and mounting the plate right in front of the receiver.
I agree not a fan.

Sponsored

Hootbro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
Same here. Noting I have seen up close looked all the spectacular. If anything, their finish seems cheap and easy to chip with no where near the rust protection of any OEM product.

TheHime

First Name
Jaime
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep gladiator
Where do the trailer pin connectors go?

OP
OP
guitarshredder7

guitarshredder7

First Name
Noah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR Manual
Occupation
A&P
Ok, so after some replies here, some more research, these are the answers:

NO! The hitch is only rated as an accessory receiver, hence no real place to put the trailer hookups.

You have no real recovery points other than some hidden ones near the receiver

The factory sliders should work but may require some slight persuasion,

After a few days of digging, I don't think this is worth it.

Here is what you gain:
Departure angle

Here is what you lose:
Any REAL protection offroad - be it a drop onto a rock, scrape, etc
Towing. Period.
Easy to use and reliable recovery points

Not worth it in my opinion. I think I would rather spend slightly more for the JCR one.

drewkillsit

First Name
Drew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR
I bought this rear bumper a while back with the specific intent of modifying it and adding a custom bedside slider. Might be useful for folks considering it.

Pros
  • Loved the clearance and "tucked in" design
  • Loved the hidden hitch design (hitch itself, different story)
  • Liked that I could still fit a license plate on it
Cons
  • No recovery points
  • No sensor cut-outs
  • Bracket design could've been more robust
  • Powder coating was crappy texture
  • Included hitch was super bush league
I knew all of the above before purchasing, but wanted to give this thing a try with some considerable modifications and a new powder coat. Here's the outcome:

Jeep Gladiator DV8 new rear bumper, looks pretty promising! IMG-7676

Jeep Gladiator DV8 new rear bumper, looks pretty promising! IMG-7675

Jeep Gladiator DV8 new rear bumper, looks pretty promising! IMG-7677

Recovery points were welded in a few places and have a 1/2" bolt running through the bracket, but are reliant on the integrity of the supplied DV8 bracket. I would guess it'll hold up to moderate stress but not severe stress. This is the clevis mount I used.

Sensor cut-outs were easy, the sensors still work great, and I have no idea why DV8 wouldn't just do this for their customers.

New powder coating was still a texture but far more mild, which makes it a breeze to clean. DV8's powder coating was really difficult to clean and would've gotten gunked up.

Hitch receiver was thrown in the trash and replaced by a Curt Class 5 and custom-built set of brackets to fit over the supplied DV8 brackets. This new system is beastly. See link below for info.

Bedside slider was made from some raw steel parts. See link below for info on that.

I keep build specs and projects on a website, Mtnrecreation.com. Here is a write-up on the bumper and its modifications. Here is a post on the body cut and bedside slider.

rharr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JTRD 3" RKK lift, (former) 95 XJ 5sp 8" lift
can you share a few more pictures of the receiver setup. Eventually I want to tuck mine or get a bumper with a tucked one.

I am currently modifying a cavfab front bumper to include a receiver tube, so i know the fun of getting something to work.

drewkillsit

First Name
Drew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR
can you share a few more pictures of the receiver setup. Eventually I want to tuck mine or get a bumper with a tucked one.
Jeep Gladiator DV8 new rear bumper, looks pretty promising! receiver.PNG

Jeep Gladiator DV8 new rear bumper, looks pretty promising! underside view.PNG

If you take a look at the DV8 brackets (check their site), you'll see that this receiver was meant to fit right over them. I welded the receiver "inside" of a steel bracket/enclosure. So, instead of just welding it to a plate, it's welded-to and running-through a plate, under the frame, and then welded-to and running-through another plate on the other side. (terrible explanation, but that's the best I can do)
Sponsored