Sponsored

Easy money-making ideas that the aftermarket just isn't doing... why?

Bonanza

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sport S Max Tow Punk'n
I'm not sure why the aftermarket is being so slow. 🤔

Tailgate Storage-- So, the one easy space to use is the cavity in the tailgate. Why... why is there next to zero modifications here in the aftermarket? This is not a $1500 modification I want shipped from Switzerland.

Jeep Gladiator Easy money-making ideas that the aftermarket just isn't doing... why? 1659020509293

Bed sliders. Still, no decent available options at a reasonable price.

Jeep Gladiator Easy money-making ideas that the aftermarket just isn't doing... why? 1659020726567

Dashcam wiring harness into the rear-view mirror.

Jeep Gladiator Easy money-making ideas that the aftermarket just isn't doing... why? 1659021012802
Sponsored

ajkaz

First Name
Arun
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JTRD
Gladiator Volume is very low in comparison to the Wrangler and Tacoma.
Gladiator is only 40% vs wrangler volume.
and only 34% vs Tacoma volume.
Also the Bronco is consuming a lot of development time from manufacturers. It far outsold the Gladiator last year.

Aftermarket companies will put more focus on high volume vehicles as the opportunity to sell products is better.

Bed Sliders - $235, thats dirt cheap for all this steel, powdercoated and simple to bolt on...
https://www.extremeterrain.com/redr...zZdgsRlcfyVNJpLi-OYaAoaTEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

The tailgate mod on this truck will be expensive no matter what. If you pull off the top layer you can see how well the tailgate is reinforced. On smaller trucks the tailgate is designed as and used as part of the bed for load carrying as the bed is so small. It takes substantial reengineering and reinforcement to cut away the structure, add pockets and then reinforce it again.
Try doing your own tailgate mod as others have, maybe you can create a cheaper simpler kit?

Sponsored

Jefe1018

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JT Rubi Ecodiesel
Build Thread
Link
The issue is that unless you are on a gigantic scale of sending production off oversees and selling a ton of something, you too cannot make anything cheaply. Once you consider the hours of R&D, materials, your time, keeping the lights, on etc. many companies are lucky to break even.

sep

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland 2015 Wrangler JK
Occupation
Manager
If it was easy and you could get rich doing it - everyone would.

Why would anyone tool up for things when the supply chain is broken, volumes are low, inflation is out of control, retail consumers are running out of extra money, etc.

Just my 2 cents.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
I'm not sure why the aftermarket is being so slow. 🤔

Tailgate Storage-- So, the one easy space to use is the cavity in the tailgate. Why... why is there next to zero modifications here in the aftermarket? This is not a $1500 modification I want shipped from Switzerland.

Jeep Gladiator Easy money-making ideas that the aftermarket just isn't doing... why? 1659021012802

Bed sliders. Still, no decent available options at a reasonable price.

Dashcam wiring harness into the rear-view mirror.

Demand - there's little demand so they have to make their R&D money back on fewer people. Those things aren't for the mainstream Gladiator buyer - it's a niche thing.
I work with people to recreate and reproduce parts for classic cars - it takes a ton of effort, seed money and committed buyers in numbers great enough to make it worth the developer's time.

Do you know what it costs to create, manufacture, ship, and then sell through third parties?
IMO, that's a bargain.
They don't sell those by the thousands so their investment comes back from fewer buyers.
Face it - this Jeep stuff is for specific vehicles and VERY specific Jeep owners. Of the Gladiators out there, you won't see those steps or other items on but a few in the grand scheme of things.

Sponsored

Gvsukids

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Occupation
Delivery Driver
Of the Gladiators out there, you won't see those steps or other items on but a few in the grand scheme of things.
I have the extreme terrain ones ($239), and I may never need them but they give me peace of mind. Although they are nice as a step up into the bed.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
I have the extreme terrain ones ($239), and I may never need them but they give me peace of mind. Although they are nice as a step up into the bed.
You know I traded, and likely recall I had a tailgate ladder mounted on my 2020 - which I have not yet gotten installed on my 22.
My wife wanted shelved up high on 2 walls of a spare bedroom so we took the truck in for some long heavy oak boards.
That meant - tailgate in the plywood position.
I got the pieces in (as seen in another thread) and had to strap them in at the rear to hold them in and keep them from sliding side-to-side on turns, and at the front to do the same - keep them from sliding side-to-side.
I'm not tall at just 5'8" so how am I going to get the straps in place in those factory loops on the sides of the bed, and wrap the straps around those heavy boards to keep them in place.
With the tailgate at the half-way point, I couldn't just climb onto that (not with my knees and back) so it was a real pain.
The ladder would have helped, but with the boards on the tail gate, I'd have had to unpin it and just toss it in the back when done, and it really only works with the tailgate down flat anyway.
While trying to strap those boards and trim, I thought - gee, wish I had side steps in this thing!
And that brings me to your item - I have thought of getting a steel rear bumper and the Rubicon bed sliders/protectors but those don't have a step.
The idea of protection AND a step is good.

Are those ET pieces stout? How do they mount and what do you think of the quality?

Gvsukids

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Occupation
Delivery Driver
Are those ET pieces stout? How do they mount and what do you think of the quality?
Very stout. They mount with 3 large bolts to a bracket that is mounted to the frame. There are 2 also two bolts to mount to the rear bumper.

JG2317_alt10~2.jpg

1407635_7A0F14E3~2.jpg

1017879_19F63619~2.jpg

No my pictures.

bleda2002

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR Firecracker Red
More expensive route is to go rubicon steel bumper, add the side rails, then bolt on the steps from like M.O.R.E. or Maximus, but thats probably like 3x the cost lol.