Sponsored

EcoDiesel: Intake Silencer Removal?

Deleted member 47279

my hauk snorkel does give me some noise at boost and some backpressure upon lifting of throttle. if it wasn't for variable geometry i would get a BOV.
Sponsored

@californiajeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Gladiator diesel, 1977 cj5 LS swapped
my hauk snorkel does give me some noise at boost and some backpressure upon lifting of throttle. if it wasn't for variable geometry i would get a BOV.

Dont need a BOV with a diesel. It wants all the boost all the time even on decel and idle.

fourfa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JTRD + ACCC
Build Thread
Link
Blow-off valves are to protect the turbo from suddenly closing the throttle butterfly plate, reflecting a pressure wave back into the compressor and shock loading the turbo bearing and vanes.

Diesels have no throttle plate. Power is metered with fuel injection. BOVs are strictly for gasoline vehicles.

@californiajeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Blow-off valves are to protect the turbo from suddenly closing the throttle butterfly plate, reflecting a pressure wave back into the compressor and shock loading the turbo bearing and vanes.

Diesels have no throttle plate. Power is metered with fuel injection. BOVs are strictly for gasoline vehicles.
The ecodiesel engine has both siwrl valves in the manifold AND throttle plate.

fourfa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JTRD + ACCC
Build Thread
Link
Yeah, interesting. No such thing in traditional old school diesels. But now that I’m reading about the ED there’s some kind of throttle-like apparatus. Sounds like it shuts on engine shutdown and it’s normally open when running? In any case, probably not the concern turbos usually have with the throttle slamming shut at max PSI between shifts (esp. as you can’t pair the ED with a manual). But happy to learn new things if I’m misreading something…

Sponsored

Deleted member 47279

Dont need a BOV with a diesel. It wants all the boost all the time even on decel and idle.

Yeah, interesting. No such thing in traditional old school diesels. But now that I’m reading about the ED there’s some kind of throttle-like apparatus. Sounds like it shuts on engine shutdown and it’s normally open when running? In any case, probably not the concern turbos usually have with the throttle slamming shut at max PSI between shifts (esp. as you can’t pair the ED with a manual). But happy to learn new things if I’m misreading something…

check out variable geometry turbos. we do not require BOV cause of this design.

@californiajeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The VGT and the throttle plate I think actuate on the 1-2 and 2-3 shift to limit torque. Atleast thats what i see from my monitoring. Theres a 3 second boost drop off on the 1-2 shift even with a banks derringer and pedal monster.

If we did a real tune then it would seriously drop .5 second off a 1/4 mile.

Just from my calculations :)

Little diesel

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 gladiator eco diesel overland
Occupation
Retired Army
I’d be interested to see what a smooth inner pipe would do as well for intake flow.
I've read on other diesel forums that most diesels have silencers in the intake tube to keep turbo noise down and adjust air flow. A lot of folks go in and remove these silencers for the additional turbo noise and unrestricted airflow. Has anyone tried this or have any additional information/experience?
i Took mine out today, a little more swoosh sound for sucking, however I have the husk off-road snorkel kit and that gave me more sound from airflow as well. So not exactly sure how much more sound you will get from stock box/intake pipe. You will have to break the stock clamp to remove the boot that goes to air box, the pull screen out and take off the stock clamp break it it’s glued down, then use 5inch band clamp.
I've read on other diesel forums that most diesels have silencers in the intake tube to keep turbo noise down and adjust air flow. A lot of folks go in and remove these silencers for the additional turbo noise and unrestricted airflow. Has anyone tried this or have any additional information/experience?
On the Ram with the same engine, the intake ductwork from the air box to the turbo inlet has some baffling inside to reduce noise. I looked at it and didn't see a way to remove it. It is molded into the intake pipe. So, I purchased a replacement pipe that's made of aluminum and is a straight-through design with NO sound deadening and NO neck-down airflow restriction. I really like it. I got it from T&S Speed Shop up in Canada. I'm not sure if they make one for the Jeep truck application but you could call and ask.

It is also apparent that the intercooler ductwork has at least one sound deadening baffle in it also, but I haven't addressed that issue yet.
AFE BladeRunner 3-Inch Hot and Cold Charge Pipe Kit
wonder if this wound give more sound

OP
OP
Gladiator_92

Gladiator_92

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport EcoDiesel
Occupation
Project Management
Vehicle Showcase
i Took mine out today, a little more swoosh sound for sucking, however I have the husk off-road snorkel kit and that gave me more sound from airflow as well. So not exactly sure how much more sound you will get from stock box/intake pipe. You will have to break the stock clamp to remove the boot that goes to air box, the pull screen out and take off the stock clamp break it it’s glued down, then use 5inch band clamp.

AFE BladeRunner 3-Inch Hot and Cold Charge Pipe Kit
wonder if this wound give more sound
I took mine apart a while back and it looked like the silencer was molded into the stock intake plumbing. You're saying on yours it could be separated if you break the clamp and then replace with a standard band clamp?

Little diesel

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Army
I took mine apart a while back and it looked like the silencer was molded into the stock intake plumbing. You're saying on yours it could be separated if you break the clamp and then replace with a standard band clamp?
Yes maybe this video will upload

Sponsored

Little diesel

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Army
5inch band clamp could be more snug, I order 4.75-5.15 wire ring band clamp today how much better it would be. But as you can see in video it isn’t coming off. I slid the rubber boot down on intake pipe 3 rings right at the point where it fastens back to air intake box just right. The 5inch band clamp tighted to pint of not twisting with hand, but I feel it could be tighter. Also you may can break the black ring plastic glued down stock clamp intake pip without cutting boot. The boot slides under it then over intake pipe. But cutting along seem worked just fine. I used plers and broke stock clamp peace at time.

4D2048F5-1F49-46C4-98B6-7CD8A0F2858A.jpeg

72F3F5B2-7103-46A4-B18D-D7AA06D1BF20.jpeg

6A88541B-A617-49B4-9AF4-59E640D6DD43.jpeg

64DF06FA-091B-4C44-B5D4-008F781FFFA9.jpeg

96F7499F-C4BE-407A-A608-0893EEF54FFD.jpeg

Little diesel

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Army
so there is no diesel/turbo sound advantage in removing the silencers because of the tiny turbo?
a little, I got sound when I put the HAUK Snorkel on, seems I got little after takings silencer out, but one thing is for sure it’s smooth bore and no baffle, air flow mass has been improve, how much or how much on performance side…need dyno before and after lol.

Sponsored