First Name
Mrmo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator
Occupation
nuke
Is this the loud hissing type of noise Im getting on acceleration with my 3.0 after installing the AFE CAI? I keep thinking its the belts/tensioner-pulley or something. It might be the suck noise of the turbo instead? Sounds bad like there is something wrong, I did see that baffle in the original set up, but never thought about it.
Sponsored

Vtur

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTOD
Is this the loud hissing type of noise Im getting on acceleration with my 3.0 after installing the AFE CAI? I keep thinking its the belts/tensioner-pulley or something. It might be the suck noise of the turbo instead? Sounds bad like there is something wrong, I did see that baffle in the original set up, but never thought about it.
Yes that's the sound of the turbo spooling.

mrmo

First Name
Mrmo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator
Occupation
nuke
I dont have turbo lag at all, but the "sucking" sound is weird, I have two other turbo diesels and its nothing like either of them. Not a whistle type of turbo spool, more like a suction noise...sounds like there's something wrong with the truck, but it is accelerator pedal dependent so I guess its the turbo coming in an out as fuel is added. Im gonna try it without the air cleaner housing and see how it acts. That box fits up against the hood, maybe due to flow restrictions pulling around the gap in the hood its causing this weird noise.

Sponsored

BlueScapegoat

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
91 ST185, 04 Ram SRT10, SC'd 05 Rubi, 22 JTRD
Occupation
Air Traffic Controller
Vehicle Showcase
I dont have turbo lag at all, but the "sucking" sound is weird, I have two other turbo diesels and its nothing like either of them. Not a whistle type of turbo spool, more like a suction noise...sounds like there's something wrong with the truck, but it is accelerator pedal dependent so I guess its the turbo coming in an out as fuel is added. Im gonna try it without the air cleaner housing and see how it acts. That box fits up against the hood, maybe due to flow restrictions pulling around the gap in the hood its causing this weird noise.
Honestly it just sounds like an aftermarket intake is what you're describing, turbo or not. People underestimate how much air an engine pulls. Factory boxes are really good at silencing it. And of course different aftermarket designs may be louder than others.

I love the "CHUFF" sounds of air rushing in when I stab the throttle. I also miss cable throttle bodies :(

Your review is making me question if I really want an intake with an automatic transmission. You're kind of making it sound like a constant white noise generator bolted under the hood and I don't want that.

mrmo

First Name
Mrmo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator
Occupation
nuke
Yeah, if I had known that during acceleration there would be a constant suction rattling kinda of noise I may have not done it. Im thinking its the restrictive manner in which the air has to pass to get into the air box...gonna play around with it some and see what changes I can make.

BlueScapegoat

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Air Traffic Controller
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah, if I had known that during acceleration there would be a constant suction rattling kinda of noise I may have not done it. Im thinking its the restrictive manner in which the air has to pass to get into the air box...gonna play around with it some and see what changes I can make.
Cool, if it's possible for you to get a couple audio clips or video I'm sure there are several of us that'd like the hear

@californiajeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Gladiator diesel, 1977 cj5 LS swapped
Cool, if it's possible for you to get a couple audio clips or video I'm sure there are several of us that'd like the hear
There is a baffle/silencer in the charge air pipes to the intake. that silences alot of the noise.

these have tiny turbo's they really dont make the high pitched whistle like old diesels.

It does the sucking noise until it begins to spool. The thing is once spooled and under boost theres not much noise at all. This tiny turbo spends its life pretty much in boost at all times and boost builds in a millisecond.

A cummins with a large turbo you lay into it and get the turbo boost building noise for an extended time until it comes on boost. With these you get weird sucking noise then spool for a milisecond then boom into boost and the engine noise is heard.

BlueScapegoat

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Air Traffic Controller
Vehicle Showcase
There is a baffle/silencer in the charge air pipes to the intake. that silences alot of the noise.

these have tiny turbo's they really dont make the high pitched whistle like old diesels.

It does the sucking noise until it begins to spool. The thing is once spooled and under boost theres not much noise at all. This tiny turbo spends its life pretty much in boost at all times and boost builds in a millisecond.

A cummins with a large turbo you lay into it and get the turbo boost building noise for an extended time until it comes on boost. With these you get weird sucking noise then spool for a milisecond then boom into boost and the engine noise is heard.
Yeah that just doesn't sound as fun. I've got an old 1991 Toyota Celica Alltrac 2.0 with a Supra turbo and cone filter hanging off the front of it and the old school turbo lag with a manual trans is a blast.

Sponsored

@californiajeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Well…removing the silencer does nothing except….at engine lugging rpm when boost is coming on there’s a low frequency vibration that is harmonics from the turbo to intake manifold. No added whistle…or power with the removal.
My factory intake elbow already had a nick in the large rubber hose since new.
I feel better knowing there’s multi ply silicone elbows at the intercooler with legitimate clamps now.

0E72FB70-26C4-4753-AFD7-E6970A905E59.jpeg

591BBDAD-91B7-4D6D-8C10-16FDBAEAABC5.jpeg

20AD3032-0A77-4FA0-9E43-176A63D06D16.jpeg

B9EE20C5-62E1-418D-8AB1-6F8DFC2C79DA.jpeg

CE703893-1F4D-4787-B85D-3905D31BA1F1.jpeg

OP
OP
Gladiator_92

Gladiator_92

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport EcoDiesel
Occupation
Project Management
Vehicle Showcase
Well…removing the silencer does nothing except….at engine lugging rpm when boost is coming on there’s a low frequency vibration that is harmonics from the turbo to intake manifold. No added whistle…or power with the removal.
My factory intake elbow already had a nick in the large rubber hose since new.
I feel better knowing there’s multi ply silicone elbows at the intercooler with legitimate clamps now.

Jeep Gladiator EcoDiesel: Intake Silencer Removal? F99FEDB3-B8C1-4C31-B09B-929FE297BA7C

Jeep Gladiator EcoDiesel: Intake Silencer Removal? F99FEDB3-B8C1-4C31-B09B-929FE297BA7C

Which silencer is that in your first picture? In my original post I showed the plastic one in the plumbing right after the air moves through the filter. Your looks to be metal?

@californiajeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Which silencer is that in your first picture? In my original post I showed the plastic one in the plumbing right after the air moves through the filter. Your looks to be metal?
That is the turbo outlet to intercooler silencer. It is metal in the plastic pipe.
I have removed the one in the intake/turbo inlet also. Still barely any turbo noises.
Sponsored