Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport EcoDiesel
Occupation
Project Management
Vehicle Showcase
I've read on other diesel forums that most diesels have silencers in the intake tube to keep turbo noise down and adjust air flow. A lot of folks go in and remove these silencers for the additional turbo noise and unrestricted airflow. Has anyone tried this or have any additional information/experience?
Sponsored

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
On the Ram with the same engine, the intake ductwork from the air box to the turbo inlet has some baffling inside to reduce noise. I looked at it and didn't see a way to remove it. It is molded into the intake pipe. So, I purchased a replacement pipe that's made of aluminum and is a straight-through design with NO sound deadening and NO neck-down airflow restriction. I really like it. I got it from T&S Speed Shop up in Canada. I'm not sure if they make one for the Jeep truck application but you could call and ask.

It is also apparent that the intercooler ductwork has at least one sound deadening baffle in it also, but I haven't addressed that issue yet.

OP
OP
Gladiator_92

Gladiator_92

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Project Management
Vehicle Showcase
On the Ram with the same engine, the intake ductwork from the air box to the turbo inlet has some baffling inside to reduce noise. I looked at it and didn't see a way to remove it. It is molded into the intake pipe. So, I purchased a replacement pipe that's made of aluminum and is a straight-through design with NO sound deadening and NO neck-down airflow restriction. I really like it. I got it from T&S Speed Shop up in Canada. I'm not sure if they make one for the Jeep truck application but you could call and ask.

It is also apparent that the intercooler ductwork has at least one sound deadening baffle in it also, but I haven't addressed that issue yet.
Thanks for the info, I didn't know about the intercooler ductwork either. Appreciate the tips. Hoping someone develops that straight tube soon.

OP
OP
Gladiator_92

Gladiator_92

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Project Management
Vehicle Showcase
Well, I took mine all apart today. The silencer is right above the engine right after the air box, very easy to access. It isnt removable without replacing that section of the intake plumbing from what i could tell. Pic attached for those interested in what it looks like in there.
Jeep Gladiator EcoDiesel: Intake Silencer Removal? 20210221_143933

Last edited:

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Yep that's basically what it looks like on the Ram trucks also. Hopefully there'll be an aftermarket pipe available soon for the Jeep. You could probably piece one together with parts from the local auto parts store, but sometimes there are sensors inline that need to be dealt with.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Gladiator_92

Gladiator_92

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Project Management
Vehicle Showcase
Yep that's basically what it looks like on the Ram trucks also. Hopefully there'll be an aftermarket pipe available soon for the Jeep. You could probably piece one together with parts from the local auto parts store, but sometimes there are sensors inline that need to be dealt with.
Agreed. I was thinking about making one myself but on the end of the pipe that is closer to the turbo there is a smaller tube that connects to the main pipe. I believe it is part of the emissions system but who knows. Hopefully someone will create something soon.

A 2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTRD, 2020 JLU
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Construction
Well, I took mine all apart today. The silencer is right above the engine right after the air box, very easy to access. It isnt removable without replacing that section of the intake plumbing from what i could tell. Pic attached for those interested in what it looks like in there.
Jeep Gladiator EcoDiesel: Intake Silencer Removal? 20210221_143933
I’d be interested to see what a smooth inner pipe would do as well for intake flow.

BEERviper

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator SS eco Diesel
Occupation
Real Estate
I ran across this YT video of someone removing the baffle on a RAM, not sure if it's the same on the JT...

Sponsored

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
No, the 3rd Gen engines have silencers that are not removable on the Ram and Jeep both. It's molded into the tube. Trust me I tried!

JT4000

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Ecodiesel
Occupation
Retired
Hi guys, JTRD owner. I did not know where to post this but up here in Canada, Nova Scotia to be precise we have had our fair share of snow storms this winter. With that said I had some performance issues with my truck and pulled it into the garage. The intake base was jammed with ice and snow. Jammed to the base off the filter and blocking all air intake. It all entered the little tube at the right side of the grill that goes into the base of the intake below the engine bay intake. I cut the tube off. My truck is now only breathing from the top of the air-box. GREAT DESIGN FCA for an off road vehicle. Just letting everyone know that this can be a real issue if you are driving in a snow storm as I do often. Nuff said!!

Courtsm3

First Name
Kayle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
Occupation
Thin Blue Line
I was curious of this as i live in Whistler BC, heavy snowfall every winter. Im looking at some aftermarket options and K&N might be the at the top or SB as you wrap the filters to help shed snow and dust. The ram air on my old 2008 6.4 powerstroke would do the same, I used to carry a spare air filter.

JT4000

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Ecodiesel
Occupation
Retired
Hey there Kayle, discovering this about the JTRD intake was a shocker. But now we know. I have already found an AFE solution intake. Look them up, its a direct bolt on intake tube and filter assembly. Looks good.

DPF140

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Willys
Occupation
Engineering Technical Director
I was part designer of that tuning sleeve and we manufacture the entire air intake from the box to the turbo. I wouldn't remove that tuner as the turbo noises are pretty loud.
Sponsored