Sponsored

Edelbrock E Force coming soon.

Mojave2021

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Gladiator
No. Unless it says it, the answer is NO. Ain't CARB great? CARB is also the reason I can't have nice fuel cans.
Yeah this is dumb. It's the same exact engine. I guess CARB is bilking the manufacturers to resubmit for approval every year.
Sponsored

Last edited:

ACAD_Cowboy

First Name
Francis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 jkur
CARB can be a very fickle monster. And yes its the very same everything but if its not listed its not approved. Had the same issue with the supercharger for the JK, the 14 was approved and the 15 wasn't. To avoid issues they basically refused to say it would fit the 15.

KrashEd

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
LE-Billet, 21 F150 Tremor, 98 Jeep XJ, 68 Bronco
So went to install this kit today and ran into an issue right off the bat. Didn't notice it at first, but my unlocked ECM has half of the plug lock pins sheared off. This keeps the socket from locking in place correctly.. Looks like the GPEC backshell needs at least two pins for the locks to work. I can get it to connect if I pull the colored locks, but don't want that to be a failure mode so getting another unlocked ECM.

Side question about the tune on these ECMs, if anyone knows. When I sent my base file to HPT and spare ECM to HPT, I assumed this would be a clone of the ECM that came with the vehicle. Is that not the case, and a tune still needs loaded?

When I did get the bad connector ECM connected to the engine harness, curiosity got the best of me so I fired the Jeep up and it ran.. for about 2 seconds before it shut down and went to cycling between all of the comms warnings, telling be that multiple systems require service service, I need an oil change, I have outstanding parking tickets that need paid. I probably need to talk with my wife on the last one since this is her Jeep. Anyway, was considering loading the Edelbrock tune (but also not wanting to burn credits), but going to wait for the replacement/spare ECM.

Bummer:
Jeep Gladiator Edelbrock E Force coming soon. 20210605_082741

mike921921

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Altitude
Occupation
Retired
Being plastic on plastic, I wonder how the pins got broken off, I had to swap my two ECMs (spare and OEM) many times for intitial troubleshooting (Livernois) and had no issues.

KrashEd

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Being plastic on plastic, I wonder how the pins got broken off, I had to swap my two ECMs (spare and OEM) many times for intitial troubleshooting (Livernois) and had no issues.
My guess is I received it that way from the salvage yard and never noticed it. Completely agree, the connectors are easy to operate if you know how, but not made to be abused.

Sponsored

KrashEd

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I was finally able to get this sucker installed. The objective/reason for installing this kit was to increase power when towing our camper. Power increase is noticeable and linear as you'd expect from a supercharger - it definitely tows our 4k lb Winnebago better, so I'd say mission accomplished - I really appreciate the extra power this kit gives and the tuning seems to be seamless so far.

Jeep Gladiator Edelbrock E Force coming soon. 20210619_112631

The install was pretty straight forward, essentially an intake swap, but ran into issues with several missing key parts in the Edelbrock kit. I am not sure how that happens since they check the BOM off, sign off on the BOM and then have someone double check it and sign off. Since I am up against a deadline (upcoming trip), I ended up sourcing the parts I needed myself as I hadn't (and still haven't) heard back from Edelbrock when I would be seeing parts that were MIA. The only thing I really need at this point is one of the preformed intercooler hoses, as they managed to ship two of the same. I was able to make it work thankfully. Moral of the story here is check the kit when you get it, because I am gathering based on the convo I had with tech support that this occurs frequently at Edelbrock.

Overall, the kit is mostly well built, there are some misses in the instructions and I am going to provide that feedback to Edelbrock. There are three things I do not like in the kit; first two are the surge tank and pressure cap. They don't work well together, and it seems like the cap is always loose, yet the system is supposed to hold 5 PSI. I will likely be looking for something to replace that. Third are the clips that orient the injectors (Ford injectors). I can't tell what useful purpose they serve other than aggravation on install, so I did away with them after checking several things between the lower intake, injectors, and the fuel rails.

I did have an 'oh shit!' scare when testing how this thing towed the camper. I was entering the highway and when checking my mirrors to merge, I started seeing white smoke coming out of the left side of the vehicle. I was able to get it stopped before merging as all kinds of thoughts ran through my head on what was dorked up and did I just lunch this engine.

Jeep Gladiator Edelbrock E Force coming soon. Tommy

Turns out, when we had a leaking Jarvick coolant hose at the thermostat housing replaced at the Dealer (Susquehanna Auto, Wrightsville, PA), the tech forgot to seat and slide the clamp over the hose to the engine surge tank. When under load/higher RPMs it was pushing coolant out and dumping it down the left side of the engine, onto the cat, frame, trans, you name it. Here's the culprit:
Jeep Gladiator Edelbrock E Force coming soon. 20210620_095113

Shit happens, and thank goodness for easy fixes, although it made one meck of hess on the engine and underneath the Jeep.

Anyway, if anyone has any questions, just let me know. I'll do my best to answer them. Once I get back from our trip, I will update how things went (and hopefully Saint Christopher is on my side here). One thing I am going to do is install a catch can in the PVC system. There was a fair amount of oil in the stock intake. I don't want that coating the intercooler in the supercharger.

DAVECS1

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
If your using factory specified weight that oil will help cool the intakecharge and keep the rings good and lubed

KrashEd

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If your using factory specified weight that oil will help cool the intakecharge and keep the rings good and lubed
Yea, we are using the correct weight oil, but I definitely do not want that crap on the intercooler, it will cook on there an kill thermal xfer.

DAVECS1

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yea, we are using the correct weight oil, but I definitely do not want that crap on the intercooler, it will cook on there an kill thermal xfer.
The water to air inter cooler? The crank case vent is after that, at least on the Magnuson, never seen the Edlebrock up close.

KrashEd

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The water to air inter cooler? The crank case vent is after that, at least on the Magnuson, never seen the Edlebrock up close.
On the Edelbrock, the crankcase ventilation is before the intercooler/aftercooler, so that vapor comes in contact with it. There are other things in the way first, but based on the oil residue and crud I found when pulling the stock intake off the engine (11K miles), I'd say the catch can is worth a few bucks to keep some of that out of there.

Sponsored

DAVECS1

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
On the Edelbrock, the crankcase ventilation is before the intercooler/aftercooler, so that vapor comes in contact with it. There are other things in the way first, but based on the oil residue and crud I found when pulling the stock intake off the engine (11K miles), I'd say the catch can is worth a few bucks to keep some of that out of there.
Yeah for sure. Actually after reading your comment, I went and looked at mine again, because it does not make sense it would be after as that would put boost into the crankcase. It is not after either. I am gonna take a closer look at this now. It is never done lol!

atoy74

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Rubicon
Report back to us when you can regarding towing. I'd love to hear your feedback.

Aonarch

First Name
Alec
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Engineer
Jeep Gladiator Edelbrock E Force coming soon. DSC_0577.JPG

I haven't decided what S/C kit I want yet, but I installed the Mishimoto catch can and it's a great product. Highly recommend it. The drain valve is by the drivers pinch seam.

Last edited:

KrashEd

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Checking in to provide a 4k mile update. Just got back from a camping trip to Colorado and things didn't go a smoothly as hoped... not necessarily related to the supercharger though, we had some issues with our new camper and I ended up shredding the new 5.38 ring and pinion in the front diff, which is a story in itself.

In terms of towing performance, the E-brock supercharger definitely helped and ended up with 8.7 MPG (per the onboard computer) for the entire trip; towing a 5K camper 90% of the time. We live in PA, so the bulk of the mileage was put on getting to Colorado and back. Keep in mind we are on mud terrain 37s and the diffs are geared deep. One of the things I learned helped with the MPG was to use the autostick to stay in the higher gears while on the highway (and monitoring the vitals while doing so) as the transmission wanted to be in the lower gears all the time. Also, since the JT is a brick towing a brick, it helped to tuck in behind a tractor trailer/front door on the highway, when we could. The worst state we went through was Kansas, which seemed to have a strong headwind westbound and eastbound.

Once in Colorado, we spent all of our time at higher elevations (7500 Ft+) and even with the supercharger, it wasn't what I would call easy getting over some of the passes with the thinner air. Up on some of the higher passes like Monarch and Slumgullion, we were dropping into third hole. Not saying I was expecting better or being unrealistic, just stating how it was. I don't want to imagine how towing at these elevations would have been without the S/C. Since the supercharger takes power to make power, a (reliable) turbocharger kit would perform better. Even better - if Jeep/FCA could take that 3.6 lump and factory turbocharge it, they'd have something going.

As far as tuning, the 93 octane tune is definitely better than the 91, at least was my experience. The 91 octane gave me some concerns in the third and fourth gears, 1/8-1/4 throttle like it was loading up and there was some surging. I noticed this when going from 9200 ft back down to 6000 ft (not towing), like the fueling/ignition did not adjust for altitude change. I checked the engine, etc., out making sure the coolant pump was running, no obstructions in the air box, wastegate, hoses, etc. I called Edelbrock and spoke with them, and their tech line told me to check the things we already checked. We started to think we got some bad gas at a Conoco in Cañon City or the adaptives were reset when we switched to the 91 tune and the vehicle adapted with us towing the trailer. The issue seemed to get better as we ran fuel out of the tank, if it didn't, we were going to datalog and send to Edelbrock (and still probably will). Other than that, you can definitely feel it more when the trans drops into overdrive which took some getting used to at first.

So that's the update. I have still have some questions, like how my Rebel (which doesn't require 91/93 octane) would have compared on this trip, is the next step a 5.7 or 6.4 for the JT, what are my options to get more onboard fuel capacity. I don't know that we'll be towing our camper halfway across the country again without some more changes to the Jeep. For this trip, I think it would have really sucked without the S/C and the lower gearing.

Steve stiller

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 gladiator rubicon, 99 xj,09 lib,21,ram 3500,
Occupation
Owner stiller Motorsports, awrcs offroad racing
Sds like to me if dad/mom still driving through that JBT/trailer on a lowboy and have them deliver it.
Sponsored