Sponsored

Either I am doing something wrong, or my Tazer is out of wack...

First Name
AJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator
Hello fellow Jeepers!

I bought 2021 Gladiator 3.6L V6 and put the new Mickey Thompson LT275/70R18 Tire, Baja Boss A/T (WHICH I LOVEEEEE)

But I got a Tazer, programed it to the size of the tires and it has RUINED my MPG and my Jeep isn't shifting right...any ideas?

I knew I would take a hit MPG wise, I was around 20ish and now I am down to 12...which blows! Lol

Any advice or tips would be amazing and MUCH appreciated!

Cheers Fam!
Sponsored

Lynn_F

First Name
Lynn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
An mpg hand calculation would tell you what you need to know. Make sure to measure the actual height of your tires on the ground with the weight of the truck on them. The actual height of the tire based on truck weight/air pressure is what needs to be entered into the Tazer, not the advertised size.

OP
OP
andrewjcoleman
First Name
AJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator
An mpg hand calculation would tell you what you need to know. Make sure to measure the actual height of your tires on the ground with the weight of the truck on them. The actual height of the tire based on truck weight/air pressure is what needs to be entered into the Tazer, not the advertised size.

Ahhhh! That could be it! I will try that when I get home.

ShastaJT6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willy`s JT
Few notes here:

I just went through a ton of headaches with the Tazer, did not work well for me.

1) As another member said, you may need to adjust the tire size - Use your phone (SAFELY) to load google maps and set your truck on cruise control on the freeway and see what the delta is between your speedometer and google maps.

If your speedo says 65, but google maps says 70, you need to increase the tire size.
If your speedo says 65, but google maps says 60, you need to reduce the tire size.
You may need to fiddle with it a bit. I think for my 35`s, I ended up using 33.65 or something like that to get the speedometer actually accurate.

2) Even with it dialed in, in my case, the truck was burning gas like nobodys business. I ended up returning the Tazer and purchasing a Superchips Flashcal and reprogramming my tire size - My gas mileage shot back up and im getting WAY better mpg than I was with the Tazer.

Shift points also seem to be better with the superchips, but it seems like the car computer needs a bit to learn and adjust, shifting may improve after a few days of driving. I was getting some rev hang occasionally for the first few days but it smoothed out and Im seeing 7th again on the freeway, doubt Ill see 8th again until I regear though.

Edit: For the record, also with a 2021 Automatic 3.6l Gas Gladiator

XraytecH

First Name
Bernie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport
Occupation
Xraytech
Vehicle Showcase
The stated tire size is almost never the daily driver size.

This is how I measured my tire size...

- Set your normal everyday tire pressure
- Normal everyday load
- Apply a bead of white tooth paste across the tread of one tire
- Drive forward a few tire rotations
- Measure the distance between the two tooth paste marks on the pavement. That's your tire's circumference.
- Divide the circumference by π, or 3.14 and that's you tire's diameter aka "Tire Size"

From there it's trial and error with your Tazer. Also helps if you cross reference your speed with GPS and/or a Speed Trap. It's like trying to heard cats so it's going to take more than a few tries.

Last edited:

Sponsored

XraytecH

First Name
Bernie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport
Occupation
Xraytech
Vehicle Showcase
Also it might help to use another programmer that allows you to enter the exact tire size down to fractions of an inch. As it is, the Tazer only allows you to set tire sizes listed by the factory.

OP
OP
andrewjcoleman
First Name
AJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator
Few notes here:

I just went through a ton of headaches with the Tazer, did not work well for me.

1) As another member said, you may need to adjust the tire size - Use your phone (SAFELY) to load google maps and set your truck on cruise control on the freeway and see what the delta is between your speedometer and google maps.

If your speedo says 65, but google maps says 70, you need to increase the tire size.
If your speedo says 65, but google maps says 60, you need to reduce the tire size.
You may need to fiddle with it a bit. I think for my 35`s, I ended up using 33.65 or something like that to get the speedometer actually accurate.

2) Even with it dialed in, in my case, the truck was burning gas like nobodys business. I ended up returning the Tazer and purchasing a Superchips Flashcal and reprogramming my tire size - My gas mileage shot back up and im getting WAY better mpg than I was with the Tazer.

Shift points also seem to be better with the superchips, but it seems like the car computer needs a bit to learn and adjust, shifting may improve after a few days of driving. I was getting some rev hang occasionally for the first few days but it smoothed out and Im seeing 7th again on the freeway, doubt Ill see 8th again until I regear though.

Edit: For the record, also with a 2021 Automatic 3.6l Gas Gladiator

Appreciate it! Do you mind me asking what is your MPG with the Flashcal?

OP
OP
andrewjcoleman
First Name
AJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator
The stated tire size is almost never the daily driver size.

This is how I measured my tire size...

- Set your normal everyday tire pressure
- Normal everyday load
- Apply a bead of white tooth paste across the tread of one tire
- Drive forward a few tire rotations
- Measure the distance between the two tooth paste marks on the pavement. That's your tire's circumference.
- Divide the circumference by π, or 3.14 and that's you tire's diameter aka "Tire Size"

From there it's trial and error with your Tazer. Also helps if you cross reference your speed with GPS and/or a Speed Trap. It's like trying to heard cats so it's going to take more than a few tries.

Ahhh, that's brilliant! Thanks so much!

OP
OP
andrewjcoleman
First Name
AJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator
So I tried the methods listed then checked out the speedometer and it was dead on!... But I still am getting GARBAGE milage and shifting isn't as smooth.

Sponsored

JTDay

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Sport S
Occupation
EHS
What would the tazer have to do with burning up gas if all you're doing is setting tire size? Doesn't make sense. Unless the tazer is doing something really weird. What does the hand calculation tell you?

Trailman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
What would the tazer have to do with burning up gas if all you're doing is setting tire size? Doesn't make sense. Unless the tazer is doing something really weird. What does the hand calculation tell you?
Yeah this was my question too. I've been considering a taser but this thread freaked me out a bit. Does the taser adjust shift points or other performance points? I didn't think it was a tuner.

OP
OP
andrewjcoleman
First Name
AJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator

No clue, that's why I posted here. I lost about 8 MPG after I installed the Tazer & 33inch all-terrain tires. I'm a newbie Jeep owner so maybe that difference is normal?

JTR178

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon
Occupation
5-0
I didn't think it was a tuner.
It's not.

No clue, that's why I posted here. I lost about 8 MPG after I installed the Tazer & 33inch all-terrain tires. I'm a newbie Jeep owner so maybe that difference is normal?
Did you follow the instructions explicitly including the 2 sleep cycles after changing the settings? Tazer just tells your Jeep what size the tires are and the truck's computer makes the adjustments for everything else. My best guess is that your computer is still adjusting the learned adaptives in the TCM/PCM.

I had my Tazer well before 37s and saw no noticeable difference in mileage after installing. There's no reason you should be getting 12 mpg.

Josh00333

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Freedom
Build Thread
Link
There is no "mpg" effect from a tazer from an actual fuel used stand point.

The reading or correct fuel mileage will be effected as your now getting the actual distance traveled (Speedo) is now right.

IF you think the computer is wrong, as was noted earlier you need to do a hand calculation. Gal in / mileage driven.

If you were factory tire and got 22-23 then added 33" tall heavier tires and it dropped to 17-18. Ya that's going to be abought right.
Sponsored