Electronic Stability Control Grinding noise

Surffisher2a

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave and 2021 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
Occupation
IT Manager
I recently got a 2021 Mojave Gladiator and took it out on the beach driving. I had it in 4 high and turned the ESC (Electronic stability / Traction control) off. When I was driving i noticed a metal on metal grinding noise and felt vibration in the steering wheel when going over some bumps / ruts in the beach. Everytime this happened the ESC light flashed (The light under the ESC OFF indicator light). I was not using the off road +. mode.

I did some searching around and found multiple threads where people said noise was normal, and the owners manual said there might be clicking or buzzing sounds. However this sound was metal on metal grinding sound and nothing like you hear when the ABS braking kicks in.

So I guess I have two questions:
#1 is the metal on metal grinding sound normal when the ESC kicks in ?
#2 why would the ESC be kicking in at all if it was turned off (The ESC off indicator was lit on the dash) ?

Once i started hearing the noise I turned around and slowly got off the beach because I didn't want to make anything worse or get stranded. I did try to turn the ESC back on and still had the exact same issue. Next time I go on the beach I am going to try Off road+ or/and 4-lo to see if I have the same issue. I do have a scheduled service apt. with my dealer for another minor issue (Handle on transfercase selector slides right off in my hand). I am going to bring up the traction control issue with them to check. I just want some other opinions on the issue before they blow me off and tell me noise is normal and not even look at anything.
Sponsored

Gvsukids

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Occupation
Delivery Driver
I recently got a 2021 Mojave Gladiator and took it out on the beach driving. I had it in 4 high and turned the ESC (Electronic stability / Traction control) off. When I was driving i noticed a metal on metal grinding noise and felt vibration in the steering wheel when going over some bumps / ruts in the beach. Everytime this happened the ESC light flashed (The light under the ESC OFF indicator light). I was not using the off road +. mode.

I did some searching around and found multiple threads where people said noise was normal, and the owners manual said there might be clicking or buzzing sounds. However this sound was metal on metal grinding sound and nothing like you hear when the ABS braking kicks in.

So I guess I have two questions:
#1 is the metal on metal grinding sound normal when the ESC kicks in ?
#2 why would the ESC be kicking in at all if it was turned off (The ESC off indicator was lit on the dash) ?

Once i started hearing the noise I turned around and slowly got off the beach because I didn't want to make anything worse or get stranded. I did try to turn the ESC back on and still had the exact same issue. Next time I go on the beach I am going to try Off road+ or/and 4-lo to see if I have the same issue. I do have a scheduled service apt. with my dealer for another minor issue (Handle on transfercase selector slides right off in my hand). I am going to bring up the traction control issue with them to check. I just want some other opinions on the issue before they blow me off and tell me noise is normal and not even look at anything.
Take them for a ride and replicate the noise if they don't find it.

flipmode

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Overland
Hi @Surffisher2a, I am curious to know the results of your dealer/diagnostic visit?

I have a 2-month-old gladiator and recently took it on a romp on the snow. I also noticed this metal-on-metal grinding myself, when ESC is disabled, and when it is enabled. It sounds like its coming from the front, also happens when I am stopping short in the rain or on ice (this is accompanied by brake pedal feedback), and when I am in 4H and totally stuck in the snow.

Does anyone else know about this. If its normal that's fine, just sounds unusual. Also, I've been flipping through the owners manual, would you share where you found the 'clicking and buzzing' reference?

Thanks!

Last edited:
OP
OP

Surffisher2a

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
IT Manager
Hi @Surffisher2a, I am curious to know the results of your dealer/diagnostic visit?

I have a 2-month-old gladiator and recently took it on a romp on the snow. I also noticed this metal-on-metal grinding myself, when ESC is disabled, and when it is enabled. It sounds like its coming from the front, also happens when I am stopping short in the rain or on ice (this is accompanied by brake pedal feedback), and when I am in 4H and totally stuck in the snow.

Does anyone else know about this. If its normal that's fine, just sounds unusual. Also, I've been flipping through the owners manual, would you share where you found the 'clicking and buzzing' reference?

Thanks!
The dealer said they couldn't find any issues (codes). They wanted me to try and record it next time I experiencing the problem. I have not had a chance to get back on the beach in a couple of weeks due to weather and other things going on in my life.

The "clicking / buzzing" reference is under the Getting to know your instrument panel section of the user manual. The Electronic Stability Control (ESC) Active warning light -- If Equipped part. Its page 136 on the PDF I have. The full text is "The ESC System will make buzzing or clicking sounds when it is active. This is normal; the sounds will stop when the ESC becomes inactive."

OP
OP

Surffisher2a

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
IT Manager
Just a small update on this.

We took my Wife's 2021 Wrangler (sahara) on the beach this past weekend and experienced the same type of noise that my 2021 Gladiator had when the ESC was kicking in. It was not as loud or noticeable, but the exact same sounding noise and vibration was there.

As this point, i am going to call it completely normal, since two different vehicles have the same type of noise.

Sponsored

cecaa850

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator 2019 Porsche Macan S 2018 BMW M2
Sounds like you're all describing the ABS pump activation.

OP
OP

Surffisher2a

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
IT Manager
Sounds like you're all describing the ABS pump activation.
That is what I assumed at first, but that is described in multiple sources as a clicking or buzzing, however what we are hearing is a harsh metal on metal grinding noise. Its defiantly not a clicking or buzzing sound.

cecaa850

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator 2019 Porsche Macan S 2018 BMW M2
That is what I assumed at first, but that is described in multiple sources as a clicking or buzzing, however what we are hearing is a harsh metal on metal grinding noise. Its defiantly not a clicking or buzzing sound.
Probably semantics.. My abs activated several times on the ice recently. I guess you could call it a grinding noise.

pcrawfordpt

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
PT
Brand new Gladiator Rubicon - Noticed a slight grind coming from the drivetrain when I first start going that happens at exactly 6 MPH. Took it to the dealership and they "couldn't reproduce it". I said it does it every time it sits for at least 30 minutes. Never does it again until it sits. I had the Service Writer jump in and I was able to point out the noise. He said "oh...that's the ABS system checking itself". Is this the ABS Pump Activation you all are referring to above?

Watwatwat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Vehicle Showcase
Brand new Gladiator Rubicon - Noticed a slight grind coming from the drivetrain when I first start going that happens at exactly 6 MPH. Took it to the dealership and they "couldn't reproduce it". I said it does it every time it sits for at least 30 minutes. Never does it again until it sits. I had the Service Writer jump in and I was able to point out the noise. He said "oh...that's the ABS system checking itself". Is this the ABS Pump Activation you all are referring to above?
I have the exact same issue. Can’t tell if it’s normal or not.

pcrawfordpt

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
PT