Sponsored

End of Manual Transmission

Gatorized

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜06 CRV, ā€˜14 Mazda3, ā€˜20 JTR (Gator)

SteveInOrlando

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
Occupation
Software Design
Yep, that is why I have my Jeep. I wanted to get a new truck while manual transmissions were still available.

In 2021 you had 2 options for a new truck with a MT. The Toyota Tacoma and the Jeep Gladiator. Those were the only remaining options. They won't last much longer!

NachoRuby

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTR , '18 JLU, 73 VW Bug, 97 VW Jetta, all MTs
Yep. Nothing new. They've been saying that for years now. It's why I'm going to enjoy the heck out of this one until it dies. I think the MT will hang on long enough to get us to the electric revolution though. The bronco, gladiator, JL, 911, supra, WRX, and mustang will get us there. Not the challenger, because the hemi is on the way out.

TPolk843

First Name
Tucker
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Boiler Technician
You can also get the bronco in a 7 speed stick but then you have a Ford so...... I'm so happy my gladiator is a stick.

Super unfortunate they are dying but so are good drivers. Coincidence, I think not......

willysmd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JTR 6MT, 2014 Focus 5MT, 1966 Saab 96 4MT
Occupation
Scientist
I will secure my next 10-15 years of manual transmission daily driving when I pick up my JTR on Thursday. The list of family vehicles with sticks that will pull a trailer is very small and ever shrinking. My Volvo V70 has done an admirable job the past few years but I'm looking forward to the upgrade.

Sponsored

NachoRuby

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTR , '18 JLU, 73 VW Bug, 97 VW Jetta, all MTs
About to trade our manual JKU for a manual JLU. Between that and the gladiator, they'll hold us until it's time to get a Rivian

OP
OP
Gatorized

Gatorized

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜06 CRV, ā€˜14 Mazda3, ā€˜20 JTR (Gator)
I thought I had read somewhere that the Jeep electric had a manual transmissionā€¦

The Bean

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S (Sold)
I thought I had read somewhere that the Jeep electric had a manual transmissionā€¦
The Magneto 2.0 EJS concept does yes. But the 4Xe is auto-only.

Rahkmalla

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Gobi Manual Mojave
Build Thread
Link
Manuals have been dying a slow death for decades in the US. The Tacoma will be the next large name to lose the manual option i'd bet big money on that. Though it does make me happy to hear the Supra is bringing the manual back, and the new Z is keeping a manual option for now.

My big worry is by the time I'm finally ready for a track toy Miata or Z, there wont be any manuals left in production.

ezekio3160

First Name
Ezekiel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Rubicon
ā€œ My wife canā€™t drive my car, which limits our transit optionsā€ Exactly how we want it to stay LOL. Itā€™s the new engineering cultural shift. Next is Electric and then self driving cars. The big trucking companies are predominantly automatic now as well. Either we with the chance or we stay back

Sponsored

Rusty PW

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTRD, '11 370Z Nismo, '07 Honda VFR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Muff Diver
Manuals have been dying a slow death for decades in the US. The Tacoma will be the next large name to lose the manual option i'd bet big money on that. Though it does make me happy to hear the Supra is bringing the manual back, and the new Z is keeping a manual option for now.

My big worry is by the time I'm finally ready for a track toy Miata or Z, there wont be any manuals left in production.
I'm hanging on to my Nismo Z. I got way too much in it.

Iamstubb

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Exactly why I got my MT JT. I'm going to miss them if they ever disappear. I just like rowing the gears. I used to have a 1.4 turbo Dart with MT. That was a blast to drive. All my kids can drive MT too. Gives them some street cred I suppose.

TPolk843

First Name
Tucker
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Boiler Technician
I will secure my next 10-15 years of manual transmission daily driving when I pick up my JTR on Thursday. The list of family vehicles with sticks that will pull a trailer is very small and ever shrinking. My Volvo V70 has done an admirable job the past few years but I'm looking forward to the upgrade.
I got my gladiator and a twin turbo 300zx both are equally as fun to drive or will be if I ever get the z off Jack stands

HankB

First Name
Henry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Sport, Porsche Panamera 4S
Occupation
Retired
ā€œ My wife canā€™t drive my car, which limits our transit optionsā€ Exactly how we want it to stay LOL. Itā€™s the new engineering cultural shift. Next is Electric and then self driving cars. The big trucking companies are predominantly automatic now as well. Either we with the chance or we stay back
Wonā€™t comment on your wifeā€™s driving skills other than to say Iā€™ve one of those at home as well. As to the trucking comment, you are partially right. Large trucks are increasingly being speced with automatic shifting transmission, but these are dual clutch designs. A dual clutch is basically a planetary geared transmission where the clutch and mechanical shifting mechanism has been replaced with computer controlled solenoids. These are not hydraulic transmissions using torque converters and friction bands to change drive gearing.

These can still be ā€œshiftedā€ with a stick, just the ā€clutchingā€œ is done by the computer. The big benefit to the trucker is that when in automatic mode the computer can be programmed to provide shift points and timing optimized for the job on hand, highway versus city, going up long grades, for example.

Dual clutches are also used in F1 cars and a number of sports cars. I have one in my current Porsche and it is definitely a better shifting (and quicker) than any of the five previous P cars that had manuals. If itā€™s good enough for Formula One, itā€™s certainly good enough for me.

Iā€™ll also point out the 850 RE transmission used in the JT is a version of the ZF 8HP transmission. The 8HP is a hydraulic transmission but has a history of being a performance gearbox, appearing on various Aston Martin, Lamborghini, Range Rover, Audi, Bentley, BMW, and Porsche models.

We can be sad of the passing of the clutch because it is the loss of a right of passage many of us passed growing up. But, I for one am very happy that whether Iā€™m driving my JT, or Porsche, I will never be stuck in traffic with a clutch again.
Sponsored