Errors on Brand New Gladiator

Cguess

First Name
CJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
I purchased a new Gladiator Willis in manual transmission two weeks ago.....I have had 4 error messages come on so far: Service 4wd (I’ve never even used it), Start Stop function stopped working after 100 miles, clutch overheating (driven manuals my entire life, I’m not over using the clutch) and Air conditioning stopped working. I understand quality control for Jeep is not something they take pride in, but this many problems before I have 500 miles on my car seems ridiculous. I have an appointment to take it back to the dealer in two weeks, so hopefully it‘s an easy fix.

Has anyone had any of these errors as well? Any easy fixes?
Sponsored

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase
There have been some reports of wire harnesses rubbing insulation off against the frame and causing odd issues.

Keep a log of the issues and the dealer visits and results. You may have a Lemon Law candidate.

j.o.y.ride

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Gladiator Overland
All of those have been commonly reported but this is the first I have seen them all at the same time.

sharpsicle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland, 2002 VTX1800
Any easy fixes?
Always return it to the dealership for warranty work. If you try any "easy fixes" yourself you might inadvertently put yourself in a worse position. Not to mention, if for some reason it gets to the buy-back or lemon law point, you need to be involving Jeep in the troubleshooting to have a good claim.

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
I purchased a new Gladiator Willis in manual transmission two weeks ago.....I have had 4 error messages come on so far: Service 4wd (I’ve never even used it), Start Stop function stopped working after 100 miles, clutch overheating (driven manuals my entire life, I’m not over using the clutch) and Air conditioning stopped working. I understand quality control for Jeep is not something they take pride in, but this many problems before I have 500 miles on my car seems ridiculous. I have an appointment to take it back to the dealer in two weeks, so hopefully it‘s an easy fix.

You have been misinformed. Stellantis brands finish near the top for initial quality scores, and recently the Jeep Gladiator was selected as the most dependable pickup truck in the midsize class. These vehicles are excellent.

First thing I'd do is open your fuse box cover and make sure all the fuses and relays are firmly seated in their slots. If you continue to get these error messages find a reputable dealer who is nice to work with and they'll likely check the software flash for updates. Good luck.

Sponsored

bleda2002

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR Firecracker Red

The stop start might just be that you have the air running. If the air is on the stop start wont activate because its actively heating/cooling. I've basically disabled mine by just keeping the air on low which means its always trying to cool so it never stop/starts.

OP
OP

Cguess

First Name
CJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
Yes it has start and stop, probably to help with gas mileage. The car turns back on as soon as you push the clutch in. It’s not something I want or need, and it can be turned off manually, but it being a brand new car I don’t like having something not work.

Deadeye

First Name
JC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Launch Edition
Its likely a loose harness or perhaps your software needs a reboot. These things are complex, and the software actually does some limited machine learning as well. All of this can add up to make a relatively minor blip start throwing faults.

There have also been some bad quality batteries out of the Mexico plant, so they may end up swapping those out. That can cause a whole host of issues.

Casique

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 HA Gladiator, 2011 FLHX, 2022 MDX
Make sure the battery is charged as well...

Sponsored

arneb04

First Name
Bert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Willys
Occupation
Working
I feel like people need to come to grips with the “I have trouble with mine so they’re all bad” perspective and recognize that they just maybe got a bad one or let it be investigated and maybe it’s an easy solution. Take a step back, and ask yourself why you would have purchased a vehicle if you already believed before buying it that the company didn’t care about fit and finish or quality assurances? And then ask yourself what kind of sense it makes if you believed that, to then have an issue, and then complain about something you supposedly already knew or believed would happen. If it doesn’t make sense, which it shouldn’t, then you have executed what we call a “knee jerk” reaction to a misfortunate occurrence.

OP
OP

Cguess

First Name
CJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
Well I’ve owned several Jeeps....have run across many problems with all of them, so not a knee jerk reaction. They are a blast to drive, so I can get over the little annoyance of having to take a $50,000 car back to the dealer several times in the first couple of weeks of ownership.

be77solo

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Gladiator Willys Sport 6-MT, '19 Cadillac XT4
Yeah, definitely not normal, and likely a common electrical issue among all the problems. They should be able to track it down, probably find a bad ground, battery, module or chaffed wiring.

Have about 2500 miles on my '21 Willys manual, bought earlier this summer, so far no issues.

Good luck, keep us posted what they find.

SelfmodJT

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 jeep JT Willys, 2005 350z con
Clutch overheating? What does the screen actually say? The recall software obviously is done in your jeep. Do you smell the clutch burning? I also have a willys manual.

OP
OP

Cguess

First Name
CJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
It’s only popped up twice, and it goes away quickly. I believe it said “clutch overheating warning, stop using clutch”, which it’s a manual, so can’t really do that. There was no smell and I don’t believe that there was anything actually wrong with the clutch, but still unnerving.

Another problem I forgot to mention was that the backup cam no longer activates when I put the car in reverse, I have to manual click it for it to turn on.

I love the truck, hoping it’s just a simple electrical problem.
Sponsored