ESS - never works

jbehrn

First Name
JP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
I’ve had my Gladiator for about 7 months and I’ve only had the ESS work a few times during that time. When I remember to check, the HUD in the center dash always gives me a Start/Stop disabled due to battery charging message. During my first oil change I mentioned the issue to the service advisor - they did i a quick scan on the OBD2 port and didn’t see any faults so they don’t think there is an issue. Does anyone have anyway I can try troubleshooting this issue at home?
Sponsored

Orange01z28

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Sport S
Charge or change the secondary battery

OP
OP
jbehrn

jbehrn

First Name
JP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I’ll give it a shot. If I charge and the ESS works, am I then looking at a bad alternator?

Sponsored

Delhux

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator - Overland - Gator

jebiruph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL 2019 Cherokee KL 2020 Gladiator JT
I’ve had my Gladiator for about 7 months and I’ve only had the ESS work a few times during that time. When I remember to check, the HUD in the center dash always gives me a Start/Stop disabled due to battery charging message. During my first oil change I mentioned the issue to the service advisor - they did i a quick scan on the OBD2 port and didn’t see any faults so they don’t think there is an issue. Does anyone have anyway I can try troubleshooting this issue at home?
The Start/Stop disabled due to battery charging message originates from the battery sensor reporting that the main battery is charging. Start by checking the ground cables at the main battery, temporarily unplug the battery sensor to reset it and try charging the batteries. You can also ask the dealer to load test the batteries.

BamaJeepTruck

Banned
Banned
First Name
Reinhardt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
If only mine would do this lol I cant stand the start/stop. I also cant for the life of me imagine it not causing increased wear on the engine.

StingGrayJT24

First Name
KH
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sting Gray Rubicon Gladiator
It’s the aux battery. Mine had the same issue. In fact mine didn’t work right off the lot. They said I needed to drive it to charge it. Anyway, it worked half ass, but gradually got worse and worse and then finally died at 3,000 miles. When I pulled it, there was water at the bottom of the tray. Somehow water leaks down into the battery compartment. I don’t know if this is what ruined mine or not. I pulled it myself when I installed the Genesis dual battery kit. The POS aux battery is a known issue across multiple FCA models and the dealer should fix it. They can remove the liner in the passenger wheel well to access it. It shouldn’t be a big deal. Charging it isn’t going to fix it. It needs to be replaced. As others have said, many hate the feature, but when you do a lot of city driving, it does work well. Good luck.

OP
OP
jbehrn

jbehrn

First Name
JP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Today I dropped it off my local dealer to have them take a look at it again. I was notified that the issue was that the ‘Intelligent Battery Sensor’ was not properly calibrated and didn’t know when the battery was charged. Because of the calibration issue the Start/Stop would not kick in. The tech had to recalibrate it and it’s working again.

Sponsored

AZCooWhip

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator
Your air or heater is probably running. It’s says it on your display.

OP
OP
jbehrn

jbehrn

First Name
JP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your air or heater is probably running. It’s says it on your display.
Yes that does affect the system from kicking on and off, however, in my case the dash display always showed that it was charging.

gladnewb

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
First Edition Rubicon
Occupation
Still figuring that out, but IT for now!
Mine is sitting at the dealership now for the third time. While I understand many may not like it or feel it damages the engine long term. I myself find without it I loose approx 2-2.5 MPG. Over a few tanks fulls and that's literally money out of my pockets. Plus in paying what paid for my Glad Rub, everything should work as built especially when my vehicle is only 11 months old. Let me decide if I want to turn it off or on. The dealership has replaced both the primary and aux battery along with the IBS sensor (twice now). So I think they are pulling at straws at this point. I knew going in Jeeps were not reliable (lifelong Toyo owner), but not this bad. I've had a recall on the steering box, this issue and the Apple Play works 70% of the time. While I LOVE my Glad, it's not without much grief!

ilovebikes99

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Gladiator Willys Blackout
Occupation
Motorcyclist
Mine is sitting at the dealership now for the third time. While I understand many may not like it or feel it damages the engine long term. I myself find without it I loose approx 2-2.5 MPG. Over a few tanks fulls and that's literally money out of my pockets. Plus in paying what paid for my Glad Rub, everything should work as built especially when my vehicle is only 11 months old. Let me decide if I want to turn it off or on. The dealership has replaced both the primary and aux battery along with the IBS sensor (twice now). So I think they are pulling at straws at this point. I knew going in Jeeps were not reliable (lifelong Toyo owner), but not this bad. I've had a recall on the steering box, this issue and the Apple Play works 70% of the time. While I LOVE my Glad, it's not without much grief!
Never buy first year of anything and you should be good

OP
OP
jbehrn

jbehrn

First Name
JP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Never buy first year of anything and you should be good
Exactly. I traded my 20 Gladiator in for a 21. Haven’t had an issue with the new one.
Sponsored