Sponsored

Exhaust filter nearing full

FutureOdin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sahara
I'm using OBD Fusion on iOS so not sure how that compares but I would assume it's somewhat similar...

Regen mode will be 0 or 1 but there are 2 different PID's, one for Passive regen and one for Active regen. Both will show 1 during an Active regen. Mine runs in Passive regen on a regular basis, even driving in-town but it's not very effective in reducing soot in-town. On the highway I've seen 15% - 20% reduction on long highway drives.
As long as the PIDs and the equations are the same, shouldn't be a difference between the two.

Ahhh, I thought there would be a PID for when a regen is occuring, and then another PID to tell you if it's an active or passive regen.

It sounds like, from the way you describe it, I would need a "Active Regen" and "Passive Regen" gauges
Sponsored

BEERviper

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator SS eco Diesel
Occupation
Real Estate
It sounds like, from the way you describe it, I would need a "Active Regen" and "Passive Regen" gauges
Well actually now that I look at my gauge setup, I used a stock PID for DPF regen status and another PID for DPF regen type. Regen status will be 1 whether Active or Passive but regen type is 0 for Passive and 1 for Active.

Another display configuration that I got from a forum member here that found one on the Ram forums setup a really cool colored circle for both regen types, PR fills with green during Passive and then AR fills with red during Active instead of just looking at 1's and 0's.

Here's a shot of that display during an Active regen:

DD67D9E3-EFF6-46DA-B9B0-DBA6383C0330.png

FutureOdin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sahara
Well actually now that I look at my gauge setup, I used a stock PID for DPF regen status and another PID for DPF regen type. Regen status will be 1 whether Active or Passive but regen type is 0 for Passive and 1 for Active.

Another display configuration that I got from a forum member here that found one on the Ram forums setup a really cool colored circle for both regen types, PR fills with green during Passive and then AR fills with red during Active instead of just looking at 1's and 0's.

Here's a shot of that display during an Active regen:

Jeep Gladiator Exhaust filter nearing full DD67D9E3-EFF6-46DA-B9B0-DBA6383C0330
Ooo that is neat. Is there any way you can share the PIDs/equations used for your gauge set up (DPF Regen Status + DPF Regen Type)?

If you have the same info for the AR/PR green/red gauges, that'd be helpful, too! Thanks

BEERviper

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Real Estate
Ooo that is neat. Is there any way you can share the PIDs/equations used for your gauge set up (DPF Regen Status + DPF Regen Type)?

If you have the same info for the AR/PR green/red gauges, that'd be helpful, too! Thanks
So this entire dashboard of gauges came from the RAM forums (same engine) and they exported the entire dashboard with all their user-defined PID's for the OBD Fusion app, I simply imported the file so I don't have a full understanding of everything that went into creating this dashboard although I am incredibly appreciative that they shared it because this dashboard looks like hours upon hours of work.

Without having OBD Fusion I'm not sure everything would apply to a different app other than the PID's. Let me see what I can dig out.

FutureOdin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sahara
So this entire dashboard of gauges came from the RAM forums (same engine) and they exported the entire dashboard with all their user-defined PID's for the OBD Fusion app, I simply imported the file so I don't have a full understanding of everything that went into creating this dashboard although I am incredibly appreciative that they shared it because this dashboard looks like hours upon hours of work.

Without having OBD Fusion I'm not sure everything would apply to a different app other than the PID's. Let me see what I can dig out.
Thanks! Let me know whatever you're able to provide via screenshots/export files/etc. I'm a fairly technical person so should be able to decipher them

Sponsored

Bulldog10

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland Sarge Green Diesel
Occupation
Retired Helicopter Pilot, FAA ATC, Retired Gentleman Farmer Trying to Survive Divorce!
Vehicle Showcase
If she drove long enough it's possible the regen was able to complete. Mine goes into Passive regen just about any time I'm above 30 mph or so which will typically only reduce soot level by a few percent depending on how long you drive. But if you're already at/above that 80% point from what I've seen it's going to go into Active regen until it's completed.

If she was highway driving on Friday and it was below 80% then it's just going to do a Passive regen. This happened to me yesterday, I started driving at around 72% in city driving and by the time I got the the gym it was at 75%. I drove a different way home that allowed me to drive ~60 mph for a little while and by the time I got back home it was back down to 71%.

Although I haven't been able to test this yet, I'm quite certain that with enough daily highway driving there won't ever need to go into Active regen as long as you're keeping soot level below 80%. This will save on fuel since the Active regen is dumping diesel into the DPF to get the temps up really high but is unavoidable if you don't drive highway enough.
Doesn't Sound like there is Anything ECO about this Diesel?? I was not aware it was this much of a pain! I have yet to get mine but already having some regrets as alot of my driving is around here on gravel roads and speeds at 50+ are pretty dangerous. Keep up the good research Guys-I may have to get a treadmill for mine-takes an hour to get to a decent road that I can speed on.

BEERviper

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Real Estate
Doesn't Sound like there is Anything ECO about this Diesel?? I was not aware it was this much of a pain! I have yet to get mine but already having some regrets as alot of my driving is around here on gravel roads and speeds at 50+ are pretty dangerous. Keep up the good research Guys-I may have to get a treadmill for mine-takes an hour to get to a decent road that I can speed on.
Don't let it scare you, it's just a part of being a diesel owner in this day and age. Since I am using gauges I am more aware of the entire regen process and can report my findings.

As far as being ECO ... my last 2 tanks provided me 25.1 and 24.4 mpg respectively on a 2" lifted JT on 37's, I can't say I've seen any gasser with that kind of mileage lifted on 37's but then again I don't hang out on the gasser side of the forum much :like:

This actually happened to me last Friday after a lot of highway driving, up into the Colorado mountains and back and thought my soot level was low. Pulled in to coach my son's basketball practice and typically open my OBD Fusion app to let her idle briefly until turbo temps get just below 400F and notice my EGT and DPF temps were way on the high side and noticed I was actually in the middle of an Active regen. I took a short drive down a 35mph road and about 2 minutes later it was done and soot back to 8.6%.

Had I not noticed this, I would have shut down my truck in the middle of a regen which means it would have to start all over the next time I drive it. By simply peeking at the gauges I was able to see that I just needed to drive a bit more and that was it!

Shoebox

First Name
Kelly
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Diesel

I'd be interested in that file, if you can post a link to it. 👍

CrazyCooter

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.overlandvehicledynamics.com
Vehicle(s)
1991 JEEP YJ, 2021 JTR Ecodiesel
Occupation
Specialty Off Road Shop Owner
I plugged my new Snappy scanner in last night to have a look at what PIDs were available on the generic OBD2 side of things. Nothing about filter condition other than pre/post pressure deltas. I was in a hurry, so I didn't try to plug into the SGW plugs and I haven't purchased the Chrysler security key for it yet.

I'm trying to NOT install $40K in extras on this truck like I did on my 3rd gen Dodge, but some type of gauge may be in order.......

BEERviper

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Real Estate
I plugged my new Snappy scanner in last night to have a look at what PIDs were available on the generic OBD2 side of things. Nothing about filter condition other than pre/post pressure deltas. I was in a hurry, so I didn't try to plug into the SGW plugs and I haven't purchased the Chrysler security key for it yet.

I'm trying to NOT install $40K in extras on this truck like I did on my 3rd gen Dodge, but some type of gauge may be in order.......
I spent $40 on a OBD2 scanner that connects to the OBD Fusion app on my iPhone for $10. Total investment $50. The only caveat is that you need to run it on a smartphone. My phone is mounted on a Bulletproof brand phone mount so it's always front and center for. Just open the app any time I want to check gauges.

Sponsored

19JTRubiconEcoDiesel

First Name
JoLHY
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
3.6JLUR6MT HellaYella SkyTop, 3.8JKUX6MT RedRock HalfDoors, Deciding on JTRD or JTR4xe
You don't need to be running at higher vehicle speed for the regen. You just need to have the engine running at higher speed by downshifting to lower transmission gear when a regen is needed.

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation

ScottLars

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTSSD Granite Crystal Metallic (Korg)
Occupation
Engineer
An interesting whitepaper on the city of Columbus, OH testing two of their diesel trucks with Hot Shots EDT added to the tanks, and finding significant reduction in regen cycles on both trucks which in turn provided large fuel cost savings:

https://hss-cdn-lubricationspeci.ne...t/uploads/2016/04/LSI-08Freightliner_6.7L.pdf
Just looked up Lubrication Specialties and the Hot Shot's Secret is one of their brands. Seems the report was simply advertising for their product.