exterior temp reading inaccurate

Hawkeyes3312

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon Launch Edition
FWIW, I've taken two prior Jeeps into my dealer to troubleshoot this issue; I even called Jeep to confirm what the dealer told me. Turns out, I have to drive for 5 minutes or sustain a speed above 50 mph in the first 5 minutes and it adjusts correctly. It's working as designed in my particular situation with those two models. I've not had any issues with my JT so far.
Sponsored

UncleChanBlake

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Sport
Occupation
Education
Uh, really? Bashing a guy for asking? And this DOES impact other functions. You try getting your ass out into a 18 degree vehicle where the heated seats and wheel won't work as intended because the temp reading is off. You pay for those features - and they won't work when the damn thing says it's 45 out and it's really in the teens. You do a remote start expecting the seats and wheel to be a bit warmed up. The rear window and mirror defrost won't even work when it acts like his is doing.
This is the sort of response that keeps others from even asking questions - being told their issues aren't important.
So you come just to mock?
Maybe your HVAC will stop working and features you paid for will stop working so you can experience some frustration.
Good god, why can't people just try to help or answer instead of making people feel like idiots for even asking?
Take your meds Papa. I was just teasing him. Don’t get your panties in a bunch.

redrider

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1 truck 5 motorcycles
Sweet Baby Jesus, Folks. How did Humanity survive without the farkles, do-dads and whatzits now standard on most vehicles? I shiver, it is cold. I sweat, it is hot. Any more info than that only adds to the discomfort. My F150 compass/OAT display died years ago as did the Cherokee. Still driving the things. I get it. We paid for the feature and it should work. Do we need it in the first place?

OP
OP
iadslgladiator

iadslgladiator

First Name
andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR diesel
Occupation
operations manager
FWIW, I've taken two prior Jeeps into my dealer to troubleshoot this issue; I even called Jeep to confirm what the dealer told me. Turns out, I have to drive for 5 minutes or sustain a speed above 50 mph in the first 5 minutes and it adjusts correctly. It's working as designed in my particular situation with those two models. I've not had any issues with my JT so far.
Not what i was hoping hear but at least its an actual substantive response to the question/problem......thank you

Last edited:

Hawkeyes3312

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon Launch Edition
Not was I hoping hear but at least its an actual substantive response to the question/problem......thank you
No problem! Where about in IA are you located? I am in Iowa City. The two Jeeps that I took in to the dealer was in Des Moines, Stew Hansen. They didn't charge me to troubleshoot the issue so if you're in that area, might be worth a shot. In case you do have a real issue.

Sponsored

OP
OP
iadslgladiator

iadslgladiator

First Name
andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR diesel
Occupation
operations manager
There is a setting in UConnect when to have three heated seats come on if temperature dictates. Mine is set for remote start, but others may have it set for anytime.

Vehicles Equipped With Remote Start
On models that are equipped with remote start,
the heated steering wheel can be programmed
to come on during a remote start.
This feature can be programmed through the
Uconnect system. Refer to “Uconnect Settings”
in “Multimedia” for further information.
I've looked through my unconnect menu and I can't find that option. Do you have the 8.4 or 7 screen size, seems to be a lot of stuff the 8.4 set up offers the 7 doesnt?

Orange01z28

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Sport S
There has to be some speed thing. My buddy and I were wheeling (he has a JL) and neither of our thermometers changed for hours. They were both stuck in the 30s even though the outside temp had risen to 60°. As soon as I aired up and hit the freeway it went right to where it was supposed to be

OP
OP
iadslgladiator

iadslgladiator

First Name
andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR diesel
Occupation
operations manager
No problem! Where about in IA are you located? I am in Iowa City. The two Jeeps that I took in to the dealer was in Des Moines, Stew Hansen. They didn't charge me to troubleshoot the issue so if you're in that area, might be worth a shot. In case you do have a real issue.
[/QUOTE/]
just east of des moines, i'm not a fan of stew's, southtown or dewey (all owned by the same co. now). debating between some of the smaller dealers around

but they are all much further away.

OP
OP
iadslgladiator

iadslgladiator

First Name
andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR diesel
Occupation
operations manager
Sweet Baby Jesus, Folks. How did Humanity survive without the farkles, do-dads and whatzits now standard on most vehicles? I shiver, it is cold. I sweat, it is hot. Any more info than that only adds to the discomfort. My F150 compass/OAT display died years ago as did the Cherokee. Still driving the things. I get it. We paid for the feature and it should work. Do we need it in the first place?
the question/problem isn't based on NEED. it's based on the fact the thing isn't working right, can i live without it, sure but why the hell should i. i paid for it and it should work right.....to the other guys comment regarding price, it's actually completely irrelevant wether its a 20k car or a 100k car, if it has a factory feature it should work right, anybody that accepts less is their choice but that shouldn't be the standard.

regardless, if you don't have anything substantive to add the conversation why not just stay out of it? to papa's point, why bust somebody's balls for trying to figure out a problem or defect. being smart ass doesn't help, it just pisses people off.

your old ford is probably the least relevant thing in their entire thread.

OP
OP
iadslgladiator

iadslgladiator

First Name
andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR diesel
Occupation
operations manager
There has to be some speed thing. My buddy and I were wheeling (he has a JL) and neither of our thermometers changed for hours. They were both stuck in the 30s even though the outside temp had risen to 60°. As soon as I aired up and hit the freeway it went right to where it was supposed to be
no reason to doubt its tied to speed somehow, but then one has to ask the obvious question why in the hell jeep would program an automatic startup function to a sensor that isn't designed to operate correctly on startup ie....a stationary vehicle.

has anybody asked the ECRI or TAZER people if they could program around these factory settings......kind of like the "memory" function they use to remember the start/stop or traction control setting. maybe they could bypass the system reading the temp and subsequent programming sequence with a simple "remember" the previous settings at shut down. wouldn't be ideal but at least i could make sure my defrost, mirror/window defrost, seat/steering wheel heaters would be on as long as i had them on when i turned the vehicle off. (this was how any remote start functioned before engineers/programmers starting getting "creative")

Sponsored

Gvsukids

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Occupation
Delivery Driver
I've looked through my unconnect menu and I can't find that option. Do you have the 8.4 or 7 screen size, seems to be a lot of stuff the 8.4 set up offers the 7 doesnt?
That was quoted from page 46 of the manual. Attached is the page for the 7" screen.

Screenshot_20201218-115652.png

Walter-new jeeper

First Name
Walter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Expedition, Escape, Ocean Blue Wrangler JLUR, Firecracker Red Gladiator Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
There is a setting in UConnect when to have three heated seats come on if temperature dictates. Mine is set for remote start, but others may have it set for anytime.

Vehicles Equipped With Remote Start
On models that are equipped with remote start,
the heated steering wheel can be programmed
to come on during a remote start.
This feature can be programmed through the
Uconnect system. Refer to “Uconnect Settings”
in “Multimedia” for further information.
Correct - but the heated wheel and seats only come on in this setting when the temp is 40 or below. Too bad there is not a way to adjust that temp.

kevman65

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
J
Try switching from "Remote Start" to "All Starts" and see if they work regardless of temp.

I know it's not a fix, it's an experiment.

Alan_Hepburn

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JT Sport S; 2007 Fleetwood Bounder 35E
Occupation
Retired
We noticed the same thing back in October - but it wasn't a temperature-related cause. We were in 4LO all afternoon and noticed that the temp was reading about 53 degrees, when it was actually in the high 60s. We were told that the sensor is disabled when you shift to 4LO because when you're in 4LO you're typically not generating enough airflow across the sensor to get an accurate reading. I suspect it's the same with the remote start system - no airflow across the sensor at idle so they disable the sensor until you start driving.

OP
OP
iadslgladiator

iadslgladiator

First Name
andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR diesel
Occupation
operations manager
We noticed the same thing back in October - but it wasn't a temperature-related cause. We were in 4LO all afternoon and noticed that the temp was reading about 53 degrees, when it was actually in the high 60s. We were told that the sensor is disabled when you shift to 4LO because when you're in 4LO you're typically not generating enough airflow across the sensor to get an accurate reading. I suspect it's the same with the remote start system - no airflow across the sensor at idle so they disable the sensor until you start driving.
so far this seems to be the consensus however it makes no sense why jeep would program an automated remote start system/function to operate based on the reading/signal from a sensor that isn't designed to be accurate or operate correctly while the vehicle is stationary. i still don't understand how its even remotely possible that the sensor is reading in the 40-50 degree range when the jeep has literally been sitting outside all night in single digit to low teen's temps. not running, no block heater plugged in etc.....being off a few or even 5 degrees isn't a big deal....20 degrees or more, something is not right.
Sponsored