FAD Delete

Desert Outlaw

First Name
Desert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Tomb Raider Rubicon, 2020 Rubicon Gladiator
I hope that solves it. Post the TSB number if you can get it.
I will request the part number for the upgraded bushing as well as the TSB number, because I feel this isn't the last time this bushing won't be a topic on this forum.
Sponsored

Desert Outlaw

First Name
Desert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Plastic bushing now made of steel is what I have been told. I didn't actually see this bushing, so I can't verify this. The work has held up over the past couple of months. No additional failures to report.

Desert Outlaw

First Name
Desert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
AXLE DIAGNOSIS TECH(S):1003214 CUSTOMER STATES THERE IS A GRINDING NOISE COMING FROM THE FRONT PASSENGER SIDE AFTER ABOUT TO 10 MINUTES OF DRIVING CHECK AND ADVISE I FOUND THE FRONT AXLE BUSHING TO BE WORN. S2003000001 Replace the axle intermediate bushing, output shaft (outer axle shaft), output shaft seal, intermediate shaft gasket and fad gasket will need to be replaced.

AS PER CAS S2003000001 I REPLACED THE INTERMEDIATE BUSHING, OUTPUT SHAFT SEAL, AND FAD GASKET. I COULD NOT REPLACE THE OUTER AXLE SHAFT, AS THE SHAFT IS ON BACK ORDER AT THIS TIME SHAFT IS ORDERED.

I RE ROAD TESTED THE VEHICLE OKAY AT THIS TIME.

LOP FOR SEAL 0213071017

PARTS- -QTY--- FP-NUMBER -

JOB # 2 5252686

PAGE 1 OF 2

- DESCRIPTION- BUSHING I 17011017

Harold0819

First Name
Harold
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sting Gray Gladiator Rubicon, 2008 Jeep JKU, 2019 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk Hemi
My JTR is going in tomorrow for 5.13 gear install. Installing one piece RCVs and deleting the FAD while it is there. Looking for ward to it

Sponsored

mazeppa

First Name
y= x/0
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR Panda
Occupation
knife sharpening snob
My JTR is going in tomorrow for 5.13 gear install. Installing one piece RCVs and deleting the FAD while it is there. Looking for ward to it

Are you going to remove the front axle actuator device (FAD) and plate it off?

Harold0819

First Name
Harold
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sting Gray Gladiator Rubicon, 2008 Jeep JKU, 2019 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk Hemi
Are you going to remove the front axle actuator device (FAD) and plate it off?

Yes, got a delete plate from cavfab.com. N.o sense in leaving it hanging off the axle. The tazer allows you to turn it off and I can just ziptie the wire and plug up into the engine bay

Renegade

First Name
Zac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT
Build Thread
Link
Yes, got a delete plate from cavfab.com. N.o sense in leaving it hanging off the axle. The tazer allows you to turn it off and I can just ziptie the wire and plug up into the engine bay
Report back whether you experience any driveline vibrations after driving for a while without FAD. Some JL owners claim they do, from the driveshaft turning...

Renegade

First Name
Zac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT
Build Thread
Link
Why does deleting this have such a negative effect on the truck?
It creates a little more drag by causing the driveshaft to rotate while driving. Wranglers did this from 1990-2018, so it’s not new, but some JL owners report vibrations after the delete. I generally don’t like FAD (had to bypass mine on a YJ years ago on a trail), but haven’t had problems out of it in the JT (yet).

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Why does deleting this have such a negative effect on the truck?
Why should it? There's been a lot of people delete the FAD or lock the axles together when the vacuum motor went bad on Jeeps and Eagles years ago. Yes, you do feel the extra driveshaft turning down there - but it's more of a feel, a bit less quiet, than anything. No vibration.
If there's a vibration on these with the FAD locked or removed, why would it not do it worse under load (in 4 hi for example)

j.o.y.ride

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Gladiator Overland
It creates a little more drag by causing the driveshaft to rotate while driving. Wranglers did this from 1990-2018, so it’s not new, but some JL owners report vibrations after the delete. I generally don’t like FAD (had to bypass mine on a YJ years ago on a trail), but haven’t had problems out of it in the JT (yet).
got it. so instead of just the wheels turning... the wheels and shafts turn, but the differential still isn't engaged... is that it?

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Yes, you can feel it - but shouldn't be a "vibration", just a mild rumble since you are spinning a driveshaft AND the whole carrier at all times.
With the FAD, the carrier doesn't turn, the ring gear and pinion sit.
It's harder for the ring gear to spin the pinion than the pinion to spin the ring gear so yes, you are loading things different, and get a "feel" of things working down there. In my car it's a bit of a rumble - VERY SLIGHT.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
got it. so instead of just the wheels turning... the wheels and shafts turn, but the differential still isn't engaged... is that it?
Yes, it's working harder because the ring gear is now spinning the pinion - and it works to do that due to the cut of the gears and ratio. The whole thing turns - ring gear/carrier and all - and that spins the pinion and thus the front drive shaft.

Renegade

First Name
Zac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT
Build Thread
Link
Yes, you can feel it - but shouldn't be a "vibration", just a mild rumble since you are spinning a driveshaft AND the whole carrier at all times.
With the FAD, the carrier doesn't turn, the ring gear and pinion sit.
It's harder for the ring gear to spin the pinion than the pinion to spin the ring gear so yes, you are loading things different, and get a "feel" of things working down there. In my car it's a bit of a rumble - VERY SLIGHT.
Theory and practice are sometimes different, which is why I asked him to report back. JL owners report vibrations. If it performs like past Jeeps, I would be fine with it. There are JL guys who have deleted FAD, then gone back because of their experience.
Sponsored