FCA gone

betsy

First Name
jeffrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 jk rubicon hard rock 2dr ,2020 jt gladiator
I can remember in my high school years, some of our well to do, professional people in town bought Citroen, or Peugeot and thought they had the cats ass until they needed it repaired.
Sponsored

5JeepsAz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1964 Kaiser-Willys Jeep Gladiator (SJ) 2dr long bed pickup truck
Build Thread
Link
Sounds more like what you would take for irritable bowel syndrome
Wait, you have something that works for irritated bowel syndrome? We might need 330 million doses of those shits right about now :LOL::CWL::LOL:

Sponsored

DreamedofaJeepSomeday

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland 6-speed. 2004 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab 4x4, gave to daughter w/350K miles
Occupation
Civil Engineer
Basically how we ended up with the awful american cars of the 80s - Sometime in the early 70s they realized they could churn out crap and still sell on brand alone. 2 decades of that and the American car industry was almost destroyed, to where we barely make cars anymore.
But Detroit did finally get it. I will buy American whenever I can - it's a personal choice. Even if my Gladiator is 21%+ foreign parts.

DreamedofaJeepSomeday

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland 6-speed. 2004 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab 4x4, gave to daughter w/350K miles
Occupation
Civil Engineer
I like jeep. So there's that. Hey, it looks like 200,000 miles is still the outside limit for auto life expectancy. They say 300K for electric vehicle but that remains to be seen. And 94% of accidents are human error (of course not bad manufacturing). So I revise my statement thusly: anyone who thinks more than 5% of 2020 JTs survive past 200K miles, see you in a few years when you buy me a beer. :rock::LOL::CWL:
Well, we will see. I do expect to be driving my Gladiator 200,000 miles hence. I just gave my daughter my 2004 Dakota - with 350,000 miles on it, still going.

mr_bots

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland
But Detroit did finally get it. I will buy American whenever I can - it's a personal choice. Even if my Gladiator is 21%+ foreign parts.
What is an American vehicle? US HQ? Assembled in US? Designed in the US? High domestic content? By any of the above metrics a Jeep is no more American than Honda.

DreamedofaJeepSomeday

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Civil Engineer
What is an American vehicle? US HQ? Assembled in US? Designed in the US? High domestic content? By any of the above metrics a Jeep is no more American than Honda.
I don't have a lot of interest in parsing the numbers you mention. I think we all know the difference between a Japanese-branded vehicle and the iconic Jeep brand.

As I said in my earlier post, it is a personal choice. Each of us may choose as he sees fit.

jimbom

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 6-Speed Rubicon Gator Gladiator, 2015 Infiniti Q60 6-Speed Sport Coupe (wife's, really), 2003 5-speed Honda Civic Coupe, 1960-something Jeep Gladiator (Matchbox)
What is an American vehicle?
It is pretty muddled. Technically, I believe it's only "American" if the profits end up here (in the U.S.) and I don't know how much of Jeep profits stay in the U.S. In my opinion, the most important metric is where most of my money used to make the product goes. That's what creates jobs and supports our economy.

That said, I'm going to buy the best product (not necessarily the cheapest) for my money regardless of its origin. As others have said, loyalty to "Buy American" is no good if it encourages production of crap.

Last edited:

Sponsored

SwampNut

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Launch Edition
Occupation
Geek
And what are "profits?" What the CEO makes? What the stockholders make, which could be you or me, or could be a foreign-held investment company or fund? It's all mud. I've stopped giving it any thought because I'd have to spend days unraveling a money trail.

DreamedofaJeepSomeday

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Civil Engineer
That said, I'm going to buy the best product (not necessarily the cheapest) for my money regardless of its origin. As others have said, loyalty to "Buy American" is no good if it encourages production of crap.
When American-made cars were crap, is exactly the same time frame that Toyota, Honda, and Nissan got their foothold in the U.S. market.

Does anyone on here still think American cars are crap? I don't, so for me the "encourages production of crap" argument is out of date.

Shootist

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland
Occupation
IT
Vehicle Showcase
I've seen no more Fiats around here since that merger.
Wow, I just realized Fiat car lots have fizzled out in the US market. The only solely Fiat dealership in my area I was aware of is now an Alfa Romeo lot. Then looking for any new Fiats yields only a sparse few at the Chrysler/Dodge/Ram/Jeep/Fiat hybrid lots. It does appear they are still offering a few of the Fiat cars but the selection is down to 3 models the 500L, 500X and the 124 Spider.

DreamedofaJeepSomeday

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Civil Engineer
Wow, I just realized Fiat car lots have fizzled out in the US market. . . It does appear they are still offering a few of the Fiat cars but the selection is down to 3 models the 500L, 500X and the 124 Spider.
And the 124 Spyder is really a re-badged Mazda Miata. That is probably the best Fiat you can buy right now.

jimbom

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 6-Speed Rubicon Gator Gladiator, 2015 Infiniti Q60 6-Speed Sport Coupe (wife's, really), 2003 5-speed Honda Civic Coupe, 1960-something Jeep Gladiator (Matchbox)
When American-made cars were crap, is exactly the same time frame that Toyota, Honda, and Nissan got their foothold in the U.S. market.

Does anyone on here still think American cars are crap? I don't, so for me the "encourages production of crap" argument is out of date.
I wasn't talking just about cars, so I don't think it's out of date. But to your point, the competition from Japanese makes is exactly what brought U.S. cars up to today's standards, IMO.
Sponsored