Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
boo, i used a tomtom before, it sucked......that was 10 years ago though, lol.

wonder how much a new headunit would cost.............$4900? And only available to LE owners :CWL:
>>Throughout the years TomTom struggled due to the rise of GPS-enabled smartphone applications. As a result, the company changed its strategy to focus more on selling directly to carmakers rather than consumers. TomTom signed deals to provide their navigation solutions to several carmakers including Volkswagen Group, Daimler, Toyota and others.<<

Well, it figures -struggling to survive so marketing directly to car makers. FCA could have done much better.
Their reviews aren't all that great. I've found several that look very much like this one - some rating tomtom in vehicles like VW as being horrible.

tomtom.png
Sponsored

BAT

First Name
Blaine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Sport S Max Tow Sting Grey
>>Throughout the years TomTom struggled due to the rise of GPS-enabled smartphone applications. As a result, the company changed its strategy to focus more on selling directly to carmakers rather than consumers. TomTom signed deals to provide their navigation solutions to several carmakers including Volkswagen Group, Daimler, Toyota and others.<<

Well, it figures -struggling to survive so marketing directly to car makers. FCA could have done much better.
Their reviews aren't all that great. I've found several that look very much like this one - some rating tomtom in vehicles like VW as being horrible.

tomtom.png
If they gave them a dirt cheap deal pretty sure FCA could care less if the ratings are bad. I know customer service for my uconnect in my ram is pretty crappy cause the dang system doesn't work. They are content to just let folks scream about stuff like that and as you said they would just stick in more music stuff and useless apps. Personally I just rather use Waze as navigation especially here in Houston with wrecks and traffic jams everywhere needed to get around them

Marktect

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
It is unfortunate that this is an entire hardware update not just a software update. we can only hope that some of these nice features can be included in an upcoming software ware updates. But I imagine the wireless connectivity or the dual phone capability would be hardware related.

Jeefo

First Name
Jeffrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gobi JTR
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
It is unfortunate that this is an entire hardware update not just a software update. we can only hope that some of these nice features can be included in an upcoming software ware updates. But I imagine the wireless connectivity or the dual phone capability would be hardware related.
Yeah totally. I just ordered my Gladiator end of last week. Kinda questioning if I should get my refundable deposit back and wait for the 2021. Sucks though if we're not 100% confident even the 2021 JT will have the new hardware.

Jeefo

First Name
Jeffrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gobi JTR
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Yeah totally. I just ordered my Gladiator end of last week. Kinda questioning if I should get my refundable deposit back and wait for the 2021. Sucks though if we're not 100% confident even the 2021 JT will have the new hardware.
Just read up on wireless Android auto and looks like it only works through your car's WiFi...meaning we'd have to probably be paying for the full navigation/wifi package once the free trial expires.

Sponsored

mr_bots

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland
I'd bet money the 21s don't get it and they'll wait a few years and include it was part of a larger vehicle update. Even if not, the 20s infotainment system is pretty damn good.

Slapping_Rabbits

First Name
Nirzwan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep gladiator Rubicon, triumph rocket iii roadster
I'd bet money the 21s don't get it and they'll wait a few years and include it was part of a larger vehicle update. Even if not, the 20s infotainment system is pretty damn good.
I'll take that bet!

canyonrat

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gator Gladiator Rubicon, 2005 Jeep TJ RME
At some point they should really look into making this modular, so the compute HW could be updated without having to gut the dash out. I am happy with the 8" screen but I imagine if I drive this vehicle for 7+ years as is my habit the interface will be looking pretty old by then.

They could get a certain amount of people who would pay for the updated electronics and feature set if it was "relatively" plug and play into a common interface with the mech systems of the vehicle. Most like me I think would not be so keen to pay to upgrade the entire vehicle just to have the latest whiz-bang software features. Planned obsolescense just does not work for me on a $50k truck investment.

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Jetta TDI RIP, 89' Civic SI, 2019 Pacifica Hybrid, 2020 GLADIATOR SPORT S "GLADYS"
Just read up on wireless Android auto and looks like it only works through your car's WiFi...meaning we'd have to probably be paying for the full navigation/wifi package once the free trial expires.
i could be wrong, but i don't think that's how it works.

normal android auto needs a usb cable. and is a pain in the butt IMO.

our pacifica and gladiator have this. The phone gets the data and sends it to the headunit.

As i understand it, wireless android auto works similarly where the phone needs data, but the music/nav is transmitted wirelessly to the headunit.

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Jetta TDI RIP, 89' Civic SI, 2019 Pacifica Hybrid, 2020 GLADIATOR SPORT S "GLADYS"
i could be wrong, but i don't think that's how it works.

normal android auto needs a usb cable. and is a pain in the butt IMO.

our pacifica and gladiator have this. The phone gets the data and sends it to the headunit.

As i understand it, wireless android auto works similarly where the phone needs data, but the music/nav is transmitted wirelessly to the headunit.
https://www.lifewire.com/android-auto-wireless-4176354
" Android Auto is an app that makes your phone easier, and safer, to use when you're driving and supports a number of apps that make your driving experience better and easier. It also lets you connect your phone to compatible touchscreen car radios.

This is primarily accomplished by connecting your phone to your car with a USB cable, but Android Auto Wireless allows you to make that connection without the cable.

The main benefit of Android Auto Wireless is that you don't need to plug and unplug your phone every single time you go anywhere. If you're planning on a longer trip, or your phone needs a charge, you can plug it in. Otherwise, Android Auto Wireless can automatically connect your phone to your car radio as soon as you get in your vehicle. "

EDIT: i was kinda wrong. Sounds like it just makes your phone a wifi hotspot that the headunit connects to to support the badwidth. I still doubt the car needs to be connected to AT&T for mobile data.

"
How Does Android Auto Wireless Work?
Most connections between phones and car radios use Bluetooth. This is how most hands-free calling implementations work, and you can also stream music over Bluetooth. However, Bluetooth connections don't have the bandwidth required by Android Auto Wireless.

In order to achieve a wireless connection between your phone and your car, Android Auto Wireless taps into the Wi-Fi functionality of your phone and your car radio. That means it only works with vehicles that have Wi-Fi functionality.

Compatibility is further limited to specific car radios and phones that are designed to work with the system.

When a compatible phone is paired to a compatible car radio, Android Auto Wireless works exactly like the wired version, just without wires. Your phone does all the heavy lifting, the information is displayed on your touchscreen car radio, and things like driving directions and answers that you ask Google Assistant are all played through the car speakers.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Jeefo

First Name
Jeffrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gobi JTR
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
" Android Auto is an app that makes your phone easier, and safer, to use when you're driving and supports a number of apps that make your driving experience better and easier. It also lets you connect your phone to compatible touchscreen car radios.

This is primarily accomplished by connecting your phone to your car with a USB cable, but Android Auto Wireless allows you to make that connection without the cable.

The main benefit of Android Auto Wireless is that you don't need to plug and unplug your phone every single time you go anywhere. If you're planning on a longer trip, or your phone needs a charge, you can plug it in. Otherwise, Android Auto Wireless can automatically connect your phone to your car radio as soon as you get in your vehicle. "

EDIT: i was kinda wrong. Sounds like it just makes your phone a wifi hotspot that the headunit connects to to support the badwidth. I still doubt the car needs to be connected to AT&T for mobile data.

"
Most connections between phones and car radios use Bluetooth. This is how most hands-free calling implementations work, and you can also stream music over Bluetooth. However, Bluetooth connections don't have the bandwidth required by Android Auto Wireless.

In order to achieve a wireless connection between your phone and your car, Android Auto Wireless taps into the Wi-Fi functionality of your phone and your car radio. That means it only works with vehicles that have Wi-Fi functionality.

Compatibility is further limited to specific car radios and phones that are designed to work with the system.

When a compatible phone is paired to a compatible car radio, Android Auto Wireless works exactly like the wired version, just without wires. Your phone does all the heavy lifting, the information is displayed on your touchscreen car radio, and things like driving directions and answers that you ask Google Assistant are all played through the car speakers.
Yeah I was typing up my response and then saw your edit. It said later in the article: "In order to achieve a wireless connection between your phone and your car, Android Auto Wireless taps into the Wi-Fi functionality of your phone and your car radio. That means it only works with vehicles that have Wi-Fi functionality." So it makes it seem to me that this would only work if you have the vehicle equipped with WiFi Hotspots, meaning you'd have to continue the $20/month fee. That's my takeaway though. Unless there is some way for the car to connect to your phones hotspot but I haven't seen this be able to work.

Either way, the main things that attracted me to the UConnect 5 was the Wireless Android Auto, with the next ups being two phones connecting to Bluetooth at the same time, and more responsive interface. Since I wouldn't want to pay for the hotspot, the other two aren't much of a big deal to me. And since I doubt they're prioritizing the JT for UConnect 5 for 2021, I'll be happy with my upcoming delivery in a month or two.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah I was typing up my response and then saw your edit. It said later in the article: "In order to achieve a wireless connection between your phone and your car, Android Auto Wireless taps into the Wi-Fi functionality of your phone and your car radio. That means it only works with vehicles that have Wi-Fi functionality." So it makes it seem to me that this would only work if you have the vehicle equipped with WiFi Hotspots, meaning you'd have to continue the $20/month fee. That's my takeaway though. Unless there is some way for the car to connect to your phones hotspot but I haven't seen this be able to work.

Either way, the main things that attracted me to the UConnect 5 was the Wireless Android Auto, with the next ups being two phones connecting to Bluetooth at the same time, and more responsive interface. Since I wouldn't want to pay for the hotspot, the other two aren't much of a big deal to me. And since I doubt they're prioritizing the JT for UConnect 5 for 2021, I'll be happy with my upcoming delivery in a month or two.
Yup - subscription service. They've found another revenue source. Get you hooked and addicted and figure you'll keep paying. Will be interesting to see how many people come in to say "gee, my xxxx stopped working" after their freebie subscription stuff in the JT expires in a couple of years or whatever.
It used to be that what came with the vehicle you bought - and the only subscription was music over satellite radio - now you don't get to keep some of the "features" either.

Jeefo

First Name
Jeffrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gobi JTR
Occupation
Electrical Engineer

"

I'm actually curious. Maybe like you said, your phone can act as the hotspot, and then since the head unit supports Wireless Android Auto, then that's all it needs as a requirement for it to be able to connect to your phone to mirror the portions of the phone for it. Either way, I currently don't pay for hotspot capability. We may all be talking about this too and they don't even go through the process of updating on the JTs for 2021 since the vehicle is so new already.

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yup - subscription service. They've found another revenue source. Get you hooked and addicted and figure you'll keep paying. Will be interesting to see how many people come in to say "gee, my xxxx stopped working" after their freebie subscription stuff in the JT expires in a couple of years or whatever.
It used to be that what came with the vehicle you bought - and the only subscription was music over satellite radio - now you don't get to keep some of the "features" either.
yeah, i was bumbed when our pacifica remote start via the phone app free subscription was over. It was nice starting the van in the parking lot when our plane landed in Ohare. Didn't use that feature too much though.

12BNNT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
Very skeptical of any of these OTA updates they claim. Be nice for OTA map updates but we can't even get the marketplace to work in the current gen. Sounds like lots of bloat ware.
wondering if they are going a similar route as Ford Sync. 1st pic with the 3 screens in one reminds me of the sync system in the wife’s Edge. Also, if I remember correctly, her previous Edge had some glitch in the software and when she called them they told her it needed a firmware update and she could take it to the dealer or do it from home if she had WiFi signal where the car was parked. Her OTA update system connected to our WiFi, downloaded the update and rebooted the system. Problem solved. My challenger had the 8.4” system and I remember storing that info into the head unit and whenever I would get home it would update my uconnect page through the WiFi and I could look up the vehicle info and see current mileage, tire pressure, and a couple other things as it sat in the garage.
Sponsored