Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator
Occupation
Weyerhaeuser
Vehicle Showcase
Anyone else think FCA cheaped out on the materials they use for the Fender Flares on the New JLs and JTs. Not speaking of how durable they are more so on how fast they are fading. Not trying to go on a rant but I got a bad spot on one of my rear fenders and one of my front ones is starting to fade pretty badly. My JKU ones faded as well and i know they will fade eventually but my JKU ones at least last 3 or 4 years before I had to really show them some attention other than back to black. I'm probably going to get mine on the JT Raptor Lined next week because the spots aren't covering up. $250 seems like a deal and he's doing them installed on the jeep. I'm a fan of the stock ones just wish these would of lasted a bit longer as far as fading goes.
Sponsored

Stupidjerkface

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Production Manager @ Seadek marine products
Mine are fading pretty badly as well. I was interested in going the same route eventually. Post some pics of how they come out.

JustinLentz

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23' Mojave RIP: 20JT 09jk, 03jgc, 97tj, 95yj, 73cj
Occupation
Operations Coordinator
This has been an issue with Jeep flares for years. My 1995 flares looked more charcoal than black.

Anyone else think FCA cheaped out on the materials they use for the Fender Flares on the New JLs and JTs. Not speaking of how durable they are more so on how fast they are fading. Not trying to go on a rant but I got a bad spot on one of my rear fenders and one of my front ones is starting to fade pretty badly. My JKU ones faded as well and i know they will fade eventually but my JKU ones at least last 3 or 4 years before I had to really show them some attention other than back to black. I'm probably going to get mine on the JT Raptor Lined next week because the spots aren't covering up. $250 seems like a deal and he's doing them installed on the jeep. I'm a fan of the stock ones just wish these would of lasted a bit longer as far as fading goes.

jac04

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mojave, 2014 JKRX SWB
I have a 2014 JK with black fenders. They are slightly faded, but the heavier texture of the JK fenders make them stain easily. I swear there are still mud stains on my JK from 7 years ago. But, I never treated the fenders with anything when it was new, I just started wheeling it.

So, the first thing I did to the black fenders on my JT was to apply Turtle Wax Hybrid Graphene Flex Wax. I also re-apply to the fenders & bumpers after every wash. I have no idea if it will keep the fenders from fading over the long term, but so far (6 months) it has done a good job at keeping anything from staining them.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Jeeperjamie

Jeeperjamie

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator
Occupation
Weyerhaeuser
Vehicle Showcase
This has been an issue with Jeep flares for years. My 1995 flares looked more charcoal than black.
I know this, seems these are fading at a much faster rate. My Old TJ and JKU fenders lasted longer as far as fading like these on the JT. Not even 2yrs into ownership and these are starting to look pretty bad.

OP
OP
Jeeperjamie

Jeeperjamie

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator
Occupation
Weyerhaeuser
Vehicle Showcase
Have you tried using Chemical Guys VRP on them? I found that the product even helped my 2010 JK and they were in bad shape.
No, but as far as the back one.goes I don't think anything other than paint or bedliner will fix that issue. I'm not sure what's going on with it and the dealership could figure it out either. I haven't got any chemicals or anything on it other than back to black that i have put on the other fenders. Seems something really mess that rear one up
Jeep Gladiator Fender flares made of cheap material 16337034961103707182537027545936

Jeep Gladiator Fender flares made of cheap material 1633703567185126391101541615777
Jeep Gladiator Fender flares made of cheap material 16337035236755686944644979314799

jac04

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mojave, 2014 JKRX SWB
^^ Wow, that's weird!

It's almost like they were primed & painted and now the paint is wearing off. Did you buy it new? If so, I'm kind of surprised that they won't replace them under warranty.

jcarbs

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator, 2021 Tahoe
Yeah I don't think Chemical Guys could help that. I've never seen fender flares that new show such damage. I agree with your thought earlier of getting them rhino lined.

Sponsored

obrianmcc

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
That is bad .... Almost looks like focused sun damage. I have a utility trailer parked along the side of my house ... I noticed the wheel covers were degrading quickly and almost appeared melted. I finally figured out it was the suns reflection on our windows that was essentially frying the covers.

MPMB

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTR - SG
Occupation
Check your inbox.
I'm not sure if cheaping out is the right phrase. It could be EPA mandated or whatever because of the chemicals used. Everything has to be eco-friendly.

I've noticed it with shirts and hats. The eco-friendly dyes suck. I have gray and black hats that are turning red just from UV exposure. Same with shirts.

93civej1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gobi Sport S (Max Tow)
weird. Can you try the torch / heat trick in those areas to see? At that point, I dont see that it could hurt.

InvertedLogic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JTR
Is it possible Back to Black caused damage? My '20 fenders certainly don't look like that. Odd.
Sponsored