Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTRD, '11 370Z Nismo, '07 Honda VFR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Muff Diver
I tried this today with 2 different pair of channel locks. First pair was too small. The 2nd pair was too big. :facepalm: Had trouble with clearance on the DEF filler. Where I could get a grip. I was egg shaping the insert pretty bad. Think I will try again tomorrow.
Sponsored

EddyArnold

First Name
Eddy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JTRD | 88 300zx | 97 XJ
Occupation
TheCyber
I tried this today with 2 different pair of channel locks. First pair was too small. The 2nd pair was too big. :facepalm: Had trouble with clearance on the DEF filler. Where I could get a grip. I was egg shaping the insert pretty bad. Think I will try again tomorrow.
I failed last time someone said "just push in the tabs with a flathead screwdriver and pull it out!" then I saw the "new easy channel lock" post and failed again... starting to think I'm a big wus, lol

gcurtis79

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Sport S Diesel
Occupation
Ready mix plant manager
It is still tough to rotate after squeezing it a bit. It doesn't take much squeeze to get clearance from the tabs. Also note that the more you 'egg shape' it, the more tension you're adding pressure to the right & left sides which might make it harder to turn.

onebad427

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Willy's ecodiesel
Occupation
driver
Yes, I've done three of them this week. The discriminator itself causes no additional interference with extraction. I only did this video real quick on my own Gladiator because I didn't have one at the ready to show with the discriminator.
Thanks!! probably give it a shot tomorrow...:)

onebad427

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Willy's ecodiesel
Occupation
driver
I posted this on the Wrangler forum as well, but figured I should plop it here as well.

At my work, we have Gladiators as company pickup trucks, and we were all recently upgraded to diesel models. I removed the entire filler assembly to extract the discriminator, but after finding out how it's in there I have a much easier way I was able to remove the rest.

I'm assuming the discriminator portion is the same on the Wrangler as the Gladiator. Please forgive me if it is not, I don't have the ability to compare myself.

1 remove the fill cap
2 using a normal size set of channel lock pliers, open them up wide enough to grab the top of the spout at the top and bottom so you can squeeze it
3 rotate it either direction about 15° so the clips disengage
4 discriminator assembly should slide out of filler tube
5 pry the three clips loose and separate the discriminator from the filler end piece
6 reinsert filler end piece so the clips engage at the top and bottom

If I remember, when I do the last truck in the next couple of days I'll try to take pictures. I just did two of them this way this afternoon.

Removing the discriminator is simple after you get this part out, it's clipped on to the lip with 3 clips. Pry gently with a small flat head of knife if you want to save it. Or remove violently with whatever means necessary if you don't care.

I did mine this way after work today. Literally took less than 5 minutes! Thank you!!!

Sponsored

Rusty PW

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Muff Diver
I tried this again today and failed. Mine must be glued into place. I deform it. The channel locks are tearing up the outside lip. I don't know. Think I might buy a different pair of channel locks. A size inbetween the 2 I have now.

lkosh

First Name
Luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTRD
I tried this again today and failed. Mine must be glued into place. I deform it. The channel locks are tearing up the outside lip. I don't know. Think I might buy a different pair of channel locks. A size inbetween the 2 I have now.
I’m having the same issue. Tried to disassemble the whole thing and couldn’t get the filler tube off. Tried with a screwdriver. And now I tried the channel lock method and am tearing up the outter plastic part.
Anyone from the Denver area that could help? 😂

gcurtis79

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Ready mix plant manager
I’m having the same issue. Tried to disassemble the whole thing and couldn’t get the filler tube off. Tried with a screwdriver. And now I tried the channel lock method and am tearing up the outter plastic part.
Anyone from the Denver area that could help? 😂
If I could afford it, I'd road trip and help you.

On that note, if there's anyone within an hour or so of Davenport, IA, I would gladly come do this for you for 'gas' money.
😁

lkosh

First Name
Luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTRD
If I could afford it, I'd road trip and help you.

On that note, if there's anyone within an hour or so of Davenport, IA, I would gladly come do this for you for 'gas' money.
😁
Thanks for the offer! 😂

I’m actually going to be driving through IA this coming weekend, but I don’t know if we’ll be taking the Jeep or not yet.

Sponsored

EddyArnold

First Name
Eddy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JTRD | 88 300zx | 97 XJ
Occupation
TheCyber
Glad I'm not the only one :)

lkosh

First Name
Luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTRD
Glad I'm not the only one :)
Let me know if either of you get it to work or figure out any other tricks! I tried again and just keep tearing up the outer plastic piece.

Oilburner

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1982 Scrambler, 1969 Wagoneer, 2022 JTR Ecodiesel
I'm wondering if (relatively) low outside temps affecting this mod? Too cold on the plastic now?

gcurtis79

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Ready mix plant manager
I'm wondering if (relatively) low outside temps affecting this mod? Too cold on the plastic now?
I wouldn't think so, but it might make the part a bit stiffer. It was freezing temps in the AM here the days I did 3 of our gladiators.

It is deceptively hard to rotate, and the first one I tried this on was tricky. You only need about 15°, think 1 or 11 o'clock, depending which way you turn.

It seemed like you need just enough pressure to squeeze the top & bottom just a couple millimeters. The clips aren't very tall. Any more than that and you're putting extra pressure on the sides. Not counting mine, the first one I did like this was tricky, figuring out where to squeeze and how hard without cracking it. The 2nd & 3rd were much easier, and the 4th was a bit more stubborn at first, probably a colder day, but was still easier than #1.

I would certainly be careful the colder it gets.

Rusty PW

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Muff Diver
On the way home from work. Stopped at Home Depot and got a pair of 12" Channel Locks with the curved jaws. Got home and guess what? I tried again and it didn't move. Just ripped up the outside of the filler tube.
Sponsored