Sponsored

Fill Neck Mod

@californiajeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Gladiator diesel, 1977 cj5 LS swapped
Any luck? Bout to do this and would go capless too while I'm at it.
I tried this this last weekend and ended up chipping the fuel cap plastic piece that goes in. I could NOT remove this damn thing and I pushed the clips hard enough to hear cracking.

I ordered a whole new filler for 180$. Im going to degovernment the new one and just bolt the whole thing in place of my now slightly chipped/cracked one.

I tried everything short of going nuclear and braking the filler.
Sponsored

Rusty PW

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTRD, '11 370Z Nismo, '07 Honda VFR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Muff Diver
I started to do this. I got as far as removing the plastic ring with the 2 springs out. The flapper door is still there. The remaining piece will not move. When I get some time. I'll see if I can remove the rest of it.

rharr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JTRD 3" RKK lift, (former) 95 XJ 5sp 8" lift
remove the whole fill neck from the jeep and work it clamped into a vice. Slow steady progress with just a little gorilla force works.

I recall using some small thin flat head screw drivers to keep the tabs from clicking back in when i would work the opposite side.

@californiajeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
remove the whole fill neck from the jeep and work it clamped into a vice. Slow steady progress with just a little gorilla force works.

I recall using some small thin flat head screw drivers to keep the tabs from clicking back in when i would work the opposite side.
Yep. This is what needs to be done.

I ended up chipping the plastic fuel cap piece trying to remove it in-vehicle.

So I ordered a whole new assembly....removed the piece I needed from it on the vice. Then i put a wrag in the one on the jeep and used my side cutters to cut slits in and pried the whole POS out of the filler neck.

I took the free'd piece that came in my new assembly and clicked it into place of the one i destroyed on the jeep.

$168.00 mistake for a piece of plastic but being able to fuel off my fuel cans and be able to pour in additive and use normal fuel nozzles from free states is well worth it.

Do what Rharr said and remove the thing from the jeep and carefully tap it apart on a vice.

My way was all in all still faster and less effort but expensive and destructive.

RS3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JTRD on order, 2017 4runner TRD
Occupation
Self Employed

I removed the whole assembly on mine as well when I did mine. Made it a whole lot easier to work with. I spent more time taking the assembly out and putting back in than I did gutting the part.

Sponsored

SargeDiesel

First Name
michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon Diesel
Occupation
Retired Military
OK here it is Do the fuel neck Mod is so easy.
Remove you inner fender unbolt the fuel neck
remove baffle Presto your filling up a the truck stops with no issues
questions please ask Its really easy to do
IMG_2749.jpg
I realize this is a very old thread, but when removing the fender liner, when you take out the rivette retainers from the outer fender, did you reuse them or have to buy new ones.. I'm trying to figure out how to put it back together to reuse it, it looks as though once you push the center in you have to replace it with the new one but there has to be a work around.???

@californiajeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I left my fender liner intact. Broke the piece out of the filler tube then inserted a new piece.

GekoGladiator

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator, 2009 Jeep Jk Unlimited
Occupation
Self Employeed
This is great info. Gotta do this! Thanks

SargeDiesel

First Name
michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon Diesel
Occupation
Retired Military
Thank everyone for your help.... abother successful removal here ! My difficulties were ME just being to careful or over cautious.... but I goter done ! Couple part# pics FYI.
Jeep Gladiator Fill Neck Mod 20220731_142918
Jeep Gladiator Fill Neck Mod 20220731_134106

Divided_Wood

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Rubicon EcoDiesel
Anyone who’s done this have an extra filler neck insert? I can’t seem to find one online and I gorilla’d mine a little too hard and cracked the lip. Works fine now that it’s back installed, it’s just ugly.

Sponsored

gcurtis79

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Sport S Diesel
Occupation
Ready mix plant manager
I posted this on the Wrangler forum as well, but figured I should plop it here as well.

At my work, we have Gladiators as company pickup trucks, and we were all recently upgraded to diesel models. I removed the entire filler assembly to extract the discriminator, but after finding out how it's in there I have a much easier way I was able to remove the rest.

I'm assuming the discriminator portion is the same on the Wrangler as the Gladiator. Please forgive me if it is not, I don't have the ability to compare myself.

1 remove the fill cap
2 using a normal size set of channel lock pliers, open them up wide enough to grab the top of the spout at the top and bottom so you can squeeze it
3 rotate it either direction about 15° so the clips disengage
4 discriminator assembly should slide out of filler tube
5 pry the three clips loose and separate the discriminator from the filler end piece
6 reinsert filler end piece so the clips engage at the top and bottom

If I remember, when I do the last truck in the next couple of days I'll try to take pictures. I just did two of them this way this afternoon.

Removing the discriminator is simple after you get this part out, it's clipped on to the lip with 3 clips. Pry gently with a small flat head of knife if you want to save it. Or remove violently with whatever means necessary if you don't care.

Last edited:

onebad427

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Willy's ecodiesel
Occupation
driver
I posted this on the Wrangler forum as well, but figured I should plop it here as well.

At my work, we have Gladiators as company pickup trucks, and we were all recently upgraded to diesel models. I removed the entire filler assembly to extract the discriminator, but after finding out how it's in there I have a much easier way I was able to remove the rest.

I'm assuming the discriminator portion is the same on the Wrangler as the Gladiator. Please forgive me if it is not, I don't have the ability to compare myself.

1 remove the fill cap
2 using a normal size set of channel lock pliers, open them up wide enough to grab the top of the spout at the top and bottom so you can squeeze it
5 pry the three clips loose and separate the discriminator from the filler end piece

If I remember, when I do the last truck in the next couple of days I'll try to take pictures. I just did two of them this way this afternoon.

Removing the discriminator is simple after you get this part out, it's clipped on to the lip with 3 clips. Pry gently with a small flat head of knife if you want to save it. Or remove violently with whatever means necessary if you don't care.

Does it come out that easy with the inner flap piece still installed though??

gcurtis79

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Sport S Diesel
Occupation
Ready mix plant manager
Yes, I've done three of them this week. The discriminator itself causes no additional interference with extraction. I only did this video real quick on my own Gladiator because I didn't have one at the ready to show with the discriminator.

Last edited:

BlueScapegoat

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
91 ST185, 04 Ram SRT10, SC'd 05 Rubi, 22 JTRD
Occupation
Air Traffic Controller
Vehicle Showcase

1 remove the fill cap

I was afraid of damaging that piece which is why I ultimately removed the whole thing and did it in a vise, but that looks pretty legit. It makes sense now that I've seen the video, if it can compress that much with the tabs at the top and bottom.

Good shit.