Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
All of the diesels get the exact same axles regardless of trim level. They are the wide track axles just like under a Max tow or a Rubicon which means they also have the heavier duty 32 spline axle shafts. As noted the only difference with the diesel is that you get a 3.73 ratio.

This is also why the towing capacity is pretty much the same across the board with the diesel engine whereas if you get the gas engine the towing ratings change drastically between trim levels.
Sponsored

Matt84

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
All of the diesels get the exact same axles regardless of trim level. They are the wide track axles just like under a Max tow or a Rubicon which means they also have the heavier duty 32 spline axle shafts. As noted the only difference with the diesel is that you get a 3.73 ratio.

This is also why the towing capacity is pretty much the same across the board with the diesel engine whereas if you get the gas engine the towing ratings change drastically between trim levels.
Every Gladiator has 32 spline shafts.

mwbrogan

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
This is something I've been trying to sort out. In the order guide, they explicitly call out that the wide track axles are a part of the Max Tow package, but they do NOT do so for the EcoDiesel package. No offense intended, but what's the basis for the statement that the diesels all get the wide track axles?

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
This is something I've been trying to sort out. In the order guide, they explicitly call out that the wide track axles are a part of the Max Tow package, but they do NOT do so for the EcoDiesel package. No offense intended, but what's the basis for the statement that the diesels all get the wide track axles?
The assumption was that since the EcoDiesel has nearly double the torque, Jeep would use the wide-track axles on all models equipped with that powertrain since they're stronger. Further research by members like @Thunder Cloud and a couple of others as well as myself has shown that this is not the case. With JL, there are 27 spline, 29 spline, and 32 spline axles. With JT apparently ALL axles are 32 spline. So there's no strength to be had by changing axles on GLADIATOR, whereas with Wrangler there is.

So what has been discovered through research so far:

High Altitude and Rubicon get the wide-track axles with EcoDiesel.
Sport and Overland get standard axles with EcoDiesel.

All are same ring/pinion ratio however. All are same strength. And all do have Trac-Lok as standard equipment with EcoDiesel.

Sponsored

Whitejeeptj

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Jeep Wrangler TJ, 2013 F150 FX4, Gladiator Sport S Diesel
Occupation
MRI tech
So, If I were to measure the axle width on my Sport S eco.... where do I put the tape?

adbeck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator JTR
The assumption was that since the EcoDiesel has nearly double the torque, Jeep would use the wide-track axles on all models equipped with that powertrain since they're stronger. Further research by members like @Thunder Cloud and a couple of others as well as myself has shown that this is not the case. With JL, there are 27 spline, 29 spline, and 32 spline axles. With JT apparently ALL axles are 32 spline. So there's no strength to be had by changing axles on GLADIATOR, whereas with Wrangler there is.

So what has been discovered through research so far:

High Altitude and Rubicon get the wide-track axles with EcoDiesel.
Sport and Overland get standard axles with EcoDiesel.

All are same ring/pinion ratio however. All are same strength. And all do have Trac-Lok as standard equipment with EcoDiesel.
Is Trac-Lok the full time AWD?

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
So, If I were to measure the axle width on my Sport S eco.... where do I put the tape?
Well, since ALL trims have the same backspacing at the wheels, you could measure from the inside lip of the wheels to get the width difference. The widetrack axles will be 1.5" wider between the wheels.

Whitejeeptj

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Jeep Wrangler TJ, 2013 F150 FX4, Gladiator Sport S Diesel
Occupation
MRI tech
Well, since ALL trims have the same backspacing at the wheels, you could measure from the inside lip of the wheels to get the width difference. The widetrack axles will be 1.5" wider between the wheels.
Ok, measured roughly 55" from inside lip of wheels and measured roughly 65" from outside edge of rotors.

Sponsored

Jeepasaurus_Rex

First Name
Mike🖤
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'04 KJ -- '21 JTRD
Build Thread
Link
I believe the easiest and most accurate way to measure would be from wheel-mounting-surface to wheel-mounting-surface

Thunder Cloud

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator, 2007 Ram 3500 MC DRW, 2002 Mustang
Occupation
GE Aviation
I measured from caliper mounting bolt to caliper mounting bolt on the rear axle of my Sport S Max Tow, and on a Willys Ecodiesel and found the ED was in fact 1.5" narrower. I actually had the salesman laying on the ground with me...LOL

It really didn't matter where I took the measurement from, as long as it was the same place on both vehicles. I was only interested in the difference.

Gladman

First Name
Alistair
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Overland High Altitude Diesel
Occupation
Retired
I think if you check, Mojave and Overland High Altitude have different axles: Dana 210M on the front and Dana 220M on the rear. These are the wider axles.

wvyankee2

First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JT Rubicon
Occupation
Refinery Operator
Vehicle Showcase
A few Mods should get your GVWR where you need it for reasonable increases. No doubt the limiting factor on the JT are it's spring rates. What about these?:

https://www.claytonoffroad.com/product/jeep-gladiator-25-triple-rate-rear-coil-springs-2020-jt

And next factor would be tires. So put on some 10 Plys. these Mods should give you about another 1000 pounds and problems solved. Now the Diesel can do some work like it was intended.

I know the next weak link would be the Axles, but if Jeep advertises a 7650 GVWR on the Max Tow, they shouldn't be a problem.

stickshifter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
A few Mods should get your GVWR where you need it for reasonable increases. No doubt the limiting factor on the JT are it's spring rates. What about these?:

https://www.claytonoffroad.com/product/jeep-gladiator-25-triple-rate-rear-coil-springs-2020-jt

And next factor would be tires. So put on some 10 Plys. these Mods should give you about another 1000 pounds and problems solved. Now the Diesel can do some work like it was intended.

I know the next weak link would be the Axles, but if Jeep advertises a 7650 GVWR on the Max Tow, they shouldn't be a problem.
Except nothing you do can change the legal payload and towing limits, and you will get ticketed and have liability in the case of an accident if you are over capacity.
Sponsored