Sponsored

First long trip review + gas mileage/gas tank rant

j.o.y.ride

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Gladiator Overland
Wow! We're heading to San Diego for the 3rd time since June tomorrow AM. 5-6 hrs depending on traffic. I "fixed" the steering with a band-aid of longer LCA's before our first trip (with a cargo trailer). I think the new steering box will make it an even easier trip. We both find the Jeep very comfortable on long trips and on I5 specifically. 99 is awful with all the big rigs clogging things up, we get to I5 as soon as possible.
Oh it isn't about comfort, comfort is fine. It is about how slow you have to go compared to what's possible in a car. Now if you're going to do 65-70 anyways, no matter the car, then sure. And towing you will anyhow.

But, if I have the opportunity to take the car and will do 80+ for long stretches that will equate to real time, give me the car.
Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
I am averaging around 16.5-17.

Its a heavy brick tent going down the road...I am ok with the MPG.

My biggest complaint is with tank size/range. I would like to make some of my more frequent long trips without so many stops.
Yup. Empty, just driving, it does better than my Silverado did - towing, it does worse, so I guess it averages out. I hate the frequent gas stops when going cross-country - the terrible prices along the highways, unknown fuel quality, etc. and I really want to get all the way through Illinois - I hate stopping for gas there.
Indiana, not so bad, stations everywhere, even in some of the rural areas.

MrZappo

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Computer Consultant
Oh it isn't about comfort, comfort is fine. It is about how slow you have to go compared to what's possible in a car. Now if you're going to do 65-70 anyways, no matter the car, then sure. And towing you will anyhow.

But, if I have the opportunity to take the car and will do 80+ for long stretches that will equate to real time, give me the car.

Spoken by a lucky person who lives out west ... So, you can head east from Kalifornia and run 80 and sometimes 100 ? You have my envy sir ... Id take the car too ... The Jeep, she aint so good above 70 ...

Out here in the Midwest, I have Illinois to the west, Ohio to the right, Michigan to the north ...

Illinois: Mostly toll roads but many areas set at 55 ... Why ? Is there a lot of traffic ? Is it unsafe ? Generally not. It is largely so that they can ticket you for going over 55 !! Trust me, I grew up there ... Hard to write tickets if it aint posted ... And after writing a days worth of "revenue generation", the cops drive home at 80+ ...

Ohio: Well, not much to say ... At there border they warn you about speeding as you enter ... Meh, Ill run 5 over there ... But not much more ... Ohio is serious and will ruin your day ...

MIchigan: Big state with low funding .. Maybe run 80 there due to lack of enforcement ... If you get caught I've heard that they hit you over the head with a pot plant ... May just be a rumor ...

j.o.y.ride

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Gladiator Overland
Spoken by a lucky person who lives out west ... So, you can head east from Kalifornia and run 80 and sometimes 100 ? You have my envy sir ... Id take the car too ... The Jeep, she aint so good above 70 ...

Out here in the Midwest, I have Illinois to the west, Ohio to the right, Michigan to the north ...

Illinois: Mostly toll roads but many areas set at 55 ... Why ? Is there a lot of traffic ? Is it unsafe ? Generally not. It is largely so that they can ticket you for going over 55 !! Trust me, I grew up there ... Hard to write tickets if it aint posted ... And after writing a days worth of "revenue generation", the cops drive home at 80+ ...

Ohio: Well, not much to say ... At there border they warn you about speeding as you enter ... Meh, Ill run 5 over there ... But not much more ... Ohio is serious and will ruin your day ...

MIchigan: Big state with low funding .. Maybe run 80 there due to lack of enforcement ... If you get caught I've heard that they hit you over the head with a pot plant ... May just be a rumor ...
Traffic in the valley usually runs that speed. Around the bay when it's not congested it's common for cars to all be flowing at 75-80. There's certain areas you need to be careful with it, places where there's fewer cars, but yes you can definitely run high speeds in

brianinca

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
IT Manager
Just got back from another trip to San Diego (Coronado specifically), my wife drove because I drive too slowly. Friday was low traffic day, normally a 5.5 hr drive done in 4.5 with a stop for gas and lunch. 15+ MPG because JTR's get bad mileage at 80-85 MPH. Not sure how a car would have been better except for mileage, and we had a bed full of Christmas presents.

Sponsored

j.o.y.ride

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Gladiator Overland
Just got back from another trip to San Diego (Coronado specifically), my wife drove because I drive too slowly. Friday was low traffic day, normally a 5.5 hr drive done in 4.5 with a stop for gas and lunch. 15+ MPG because JTR's get bad mileage at 80-85 MPH. Not sure how a car would have been better except for mileage, and we had a bed full of Christmas presents.
I don't drive the truck that fast. It's lifted a fair bit and has 35s on it. Even before the lift and tires I still never pushed past 80 at highest end, just doesn't like bumps or uneven roads or undulations at those speeds.

I will take my car to 100 no issues. For me, the diff between 15mpg @75 and 25mpg @ 100 is huge. Not only is the truck slower it also needs an extra stop that distance.

brianinca

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
IT Manager
Fair enough. With 35's on the stock JTR it runs like a champ past 90. That's our comfort level. Gas is cheap.

I don't drive the truck that fast. It's lifted a fair bit and has 35s on it. Even before the lift and tires I still never pushed past 80 at highest end, just doesn't like bumps or uneven roads or undulations at those speeds.

I will take my car to 100 no issues. For me, the diff between 15mpg @75 and 25mpg @ 100 is huge. Not only is the truck slower it also needs an extra stop that distance.

Mtpisgah

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTM, 2018 JLR
Occupation
Engineer
I have been getting about 16.5 on my Mojave with 3300 miles and stock Falken 33“ M/T. That is 16.5 on the highway at 60mph, in town at 35mph, or mixed. Makes little difference.

How much difference does the M/T vs the A/T make? 1mpg worse? 2? Any?

I will be going to 35s when these wear out and probably going to an A/T. I do not need M/T often and hope to gain back some mileage from going to a bigger tire.

brianinca

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
IT Manager
I used to swap muds and AT's on my Ranger and H2 (double wheel sets). I swapped out BFG KM2's for the OEM Falken AT's to my YJ. Always always ALWAYS there is a noticeable reduction in rolling resistance when going to AT's.

It's annoying, there's a stop on my way to work that is slightly downhill with a lip on the pavement - when I stop there now with AT's, I have to keep a foot on the brake in neutral. With muds, nope. Also feels like I have ten more horsepower in fifth going up overpasses.

I've no idea what the mileage change will be, I've always been happy to stay in double digits with previous and current vehicles, but if you track it carefully it should be noticeable.

I have been getting about 16.5 on my Mojave with 3300 miles and stock Falken 33“ M/T. That is 16.5 on the highway at 60mph, in town at 35mph, or mixed. Makes little difference.

How much difference does the M/T vs the A/T make? 1mpg worse? 2? Any?

I will be going to 35s when these wear out and probably going to an A/T. I do not need M/T often and hope to gain back some mileage from going to a bigger tire.

TheSolarWizard

First Name
Memphis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
3.0 JT
Occupation
Solar & EV infrastructure
I'm skeptical...
Driving across flat-land Texas at freeway speeds I only got about 19 with my Sport S with bone-stock running gear.

Kevin
freeway speeds go up to 80 there. CA is 65

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
If you drive 65 on CA freeways, you’ll get run over.

Kevin
I've seen videos of CA freeways over the years - news casts, TV shows, and more - seems like the traffic is mostly stopped or doing 10 mph tops.

Kevin_D

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S, 1971 J4000, a bunch of other stuff
I've seen videos of CA freeways over the years - news casts, TV shows, and more - seems like the traffic is mostly stopped or doing 10 mph tops.
In the Bay Area/Sacramento, or the LA Basin, other cities, yeah. But CA is a big state with lots of rural freeways. I tried doing 65 one trip to maximize economy, and even the trucks were passing me.

Kevin

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
In the Bay Area/Sacramento, or the LA Basin, other cities, yeah. But CA is a big state with lots of rural freeways. I tried doing 65 one trip to maximize economy, and even the trucks were passing me.

Kevin
Sounds like I80 and I35 here. Truck drivers, members of congress, those with the most expensive SUVs, or driving minivans - they'll all run you over and not think twice about it.