Sponsored

Fixing up my rims, how to repair some corrosion?

Alpine Warthog

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Gladiator, 98 XJ
Occupation
Retired USAF Police Officer
Got some JK pintler wheels on and they are starting to bubble and show some corrosion. What's the best way to take care of this? Don't really want to let them go through another winter's worth of salt and ice

20230728_164813.jpg
Sponsored

Sandevino

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
You’ve got a few options.

The best option in my opinion is to get them sanded down, remove any rust and have the powder coat refinished.

A cheaper option is to sand, prime and paint. The finish won’t be the same as when they were new but it will stop the rust from spreading.

OP
OP
Alpine Warthog

Alpine Warthog

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Gladiator, 98 XJ
Occupation
These are cast aluminum, does that change anything?

hakoda

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Sport S MaxTow
AEV says right on their website not to powder coat those wheels

POWDER COATING WARNING: As a general safety precaution, AEV does not recommend powder coating aluminum wheels. The heat range and duration of the powder coating process may overlap the heat treating and aging of cast or forged aluminum wheels. For this reason, powder coated wheels will not be covered under AEV’s lifetime structural warranty. All repairs and/or color changes should utilize automotive type liquid paint.

Hootbro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
These are cast aluminum, does that change anything?
Aluminum oxidizing corrosion has to almost be treated the same as steel rust. Have to get to fresh base metal, polish and then usually treat with a Alodine or Chem Film coating before any poweder coat or paint finish.

It is a pain. There is wheel restoration shops in most metro areas that deal with this and for relatively decent pricing.

Me personally, I would cut my losses and look for new wheels.

Sponsored

Sandevino

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Reddog

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Army. Retired Construction Manager / Contracting Officer
Got some JK pintler wheels on and they are starting to bubble and show some corrosion. What's the best way to take care of this? Don't really want to let them go through another winter's worth of salt and ice

Jeep Gladiator Fixing up my rims, how to repair some corrosion? 20230728_164813
I had Pintlers on my JK for five years. My son has it now and the wheel finish has not failed at all. AEV says these wheels should not be powder coated so they paint them instead. It's a good finish but no protective film is perfect long term. If you are concerned about the corrosion, I would call AEV and discuss with them. With paint technology today, I will bet that a good paint shop can match the black or onyx paint color and refinish and repaint the wheel(s) and you would never notice the difference. Good luck to you.

Riccochet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JKR | 2020 Ram 2500 | 2021 JT Sport
There's no fixing that where it will look good. The aluminum is oxidizing in to powder under the paint. If you remove the paint you're going to see deep pitting. Removing enough material to get down to clean aluminum will look like crap.

I would live with it until the paint starts falling off.

OP
OP
Alpine Warthog

Alpine Warthog

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Gladiator, 98 XJ
Occupation
There's no fixing that where it will look good. The aluminum is oxidizing in to powder under the paint. If you remove the paint you're going to see deep pitting. Removing enough material to get down to clean aluminum will look like crap.

I would live with it until the paint starts falling off.
Since it's started to corrode, trying to seal it up won't do any good? I've been kinda playing with the idea of having all 4 painted. Maybe it would be cheaper to just buy a new rim.
@Reddog AEV said people just have them painted locally....

OP
OP
Alpine Warthog

Alpine Warthog

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Gladiator, 98 XJ
Occupation
Find a clean used set or sand them down and rhino spray them.
There's a set down near pittsburgh in Silver that I might pick up if they are still around next weekend. pics look like they are in better shape maybe just scrape em down and gat a matching rattle can......

Then I'd have matching spares for a trailer too! I'm gonna be in so much trouble
Sponsored