First Name
Shelton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JTR
Occupation
Financials
Today I was headed home in a semi-depressed state (not medically, it runs in my family but it hits anyone at any given time) . Even though I had a great day and fun with my wife and kids, but I had stuff on mind and had a funk. Then I looked at my dash and I noticed something....I must've left my Jeep unlocked (more details in a sec) and someone snuck a new duck on my dashboard. And I smiled. I smiled and I felt thankful for a simple kind gesture in humanity. And I immediately thought of how the "ducking" started...a simple act of kindness to spread joy in a tough time. I've owned Jeeps off and on for 25+ years...ducking wasn't a thing. Today I didn't know I needed it. Don't resist the ducks, you never know when you need a smile, and today I was thankful for it.

Circle back...got home and my wife says "by the way you got ducked" I said I noticed, she mentioned she had to go out to the jeep when we were at the resort and saw it on the handle so of course she put it on the dash. Didn't minimize the story, just how I needed it in that moment.

Pass on the ducks, pass on the smiles.
Sponsored

GladLad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Looking
My fiance loves the ducks. Getting them, giving them, showing them off on the dash. Provided a community aspect to something I doubt she planned to be a part of, as the Jeep was my thing. We went on a vacation to Great Smoky Mountain area of TN at the same time as the Jeep invasion. Totally didn't plan that timing, and it was just a month after getting the Jeep, so it was a really cool intro to the community for both of us. Every one of the about a dozen ducks was a fun surprise.

I get why some people don't like them, but I dig them.

Hope you feel better!

Bjeepz

First Name
B
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mojave
Today I was headed home in a semi-depressed state (not medically, it runs in my family but it hits anyone at any given time) . Even though I had a great day and fun with my wife and kids, but I had stuff on mind and had a funk. Then I looked at my dash and I noticed something....I must've left my Jeep unlocked (more details in a sec) and someone snuck a new duck on my dashboard. And I smiled. I smiled and I felt thankful for a simple kind gesture in humanity. And I immediately thought of how the "ducking" started...a simple act of kindness to spread joy in a tough time. I've owned Jeeps off and on for 25+ years...ducking wasn't a thing. Today I didn't know I needed it. Don't resist the ducks, you never know when you need a smile, and today I was thankful for it.

Circle back...got home and my wife says "by the way you got ducked" I said I noticed, she mentioned she had to go out to the jeep when we were at the resort and saw it on the handle so of course she put it on the dash. Didn't minimize the story, just how I needed it in that moment.

Pass on the ducks, pass on the smiles.
My mother was in my Jeep while I was in a store, somebody came by and handed her a duck, she loved the kindness of this simple social act :) I used to think it was weird but there certainly is a positive side to it!

Sponsored

Great Offender

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport S - MT
Granted I have only owned the vehicle for a few months but I have only been ducked once while parked outside the bar at happy hour. My brother rented a JT while he was visiting and got ducked everywhere he went??? "If" I was ducked on a regular basis I think I would just pass them on but it seems no one ducks my Jeep so, "problem solved"!

Full disclosure, I work from home so the only time my vehicle leaves the driveway is on Friday at happy hour.;)

OHJeeper

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 JTR, '08 JKUX, '08 JKUS
My only gripe are those folks that have their dash covered in ducks, but still won't wave...

Dee

First Name
Dee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Gladiator Rubicon
When I first got my jeep I didn’t know about the jeep community. The salesman told us about the wave. That day I got 8 waves. It was really nice to see others waving. I always wave and when they don’t wave back I think that they didn’t see me or didn’t react fast enough to acknowledge with a wave back. I also know that there are some that prefer not to interact on a social or community basis. That’s cool too.
Researching the whole wave thing I found out about ducks. My first week I ducked 4-5 jeeps. Then we saw a jeep with a duck sticker with a line across it. “No ducks”. Sad, but I respect that. Now I duck jeeps that have some on their dash already. (Although some have so many that I wonder if they didn’t buy them themselves to be included)
I received my first and only duck the other day. Sure made me smile. Finally! The dollar that someone spent for a tiny rubber toy that won’t scratch anything was well worth it. What a nice gesture.
There so many crazy things going on today. Real tragedies. Why not?

I am Dee, and I am a ducker!

OP- hope future ducks continue to make you smile.

OP
OP
5adventurers

5adventurers

First Name
Shelton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JTR
Occupation
Financials
My only gripe are those folks that have their dash covered in ducks, but still won't wave...
It is kinda funny...I notice the ducks have caught on....but it sure seems like less people wave. Maybe because years ago the culture was a little more unique, or smaller. Today it's a more common vehicle that people like not knowing they got into a culture thing...or perhaps people are just that clueless while driving. Not sure....but I notice it too. It's also weird how "the wave" applies...it's almost like we need a wave rulebook. Do you wave across medians? At a light? Interstate, side by side? Just passing on a two lane?? Not a serious question, just a funny observation 😂

BUZZHEAD

First Name
BOB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JEEP RUBICAN GLADIATOR ,2016 HD SLIMS
Occupation
WEED PULLER
I have told this story before but what the hell.
I was waiting at MCDONALDS and the car next to me had a young girl in the back seat pointing at my truck.
I politely got out and asked her dad if I could give her a duck. When I handed it to the girl she was smiling ear to ear. It made my day .I think in this fked up world we live in everyone could use a kind jesture every now and then.
This time of year I usually pay for some ones xmas. purchases. This year it was a couple with a new born at a dollar store. You can just tell when someone needs that little help in life. They had two baskets full of kids clothes and baby essentials and a few toys. The father was counting his money as the clerk was ringing the items up.
When the clerk was finished with the total ,I politely asked them if I could pay the bill. The lady was speechless and the father could not stop saying thank you. It made their day but even more it made mine seeing their happiness.
I said one thing to them This is what keeps the world going caring about each other .

Sponsored

OP
OP
5adventurers

5adventurers

First Name
Shelton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JTR
Occupation
Financials
I have told this story before but what the hell.
I was waiting at MCDONALDS and the car next to me had a young girl in the back seat pointing at my truck.
I politely got out and asked her dad if I could give her a duck. When I handed it to the girl she was smiling ear to ear. It made my day .I think in this fked up world we live in everyone could use a kind jesture every now and then.
This time of year I usually pay for some ones xmas. purchases. This year it was a couple with a new born at a dollar store. You can just tell when someone needs that little help in life. They had two baskets full of kids clothes and baby essentials and a few toys. The father was counting his money as the clerk was ringing the items up.
When the clerk was finished with the total ,I politely asked them if I could pay the bill. The lady was speechless and the father could not stop saying thank you. It made their day but even more it made mine seeing their happiness.
I said one thing to them This is what keeps the world going caring about each other .
That's awesome. People think giving us so selfless, the irony is it feels better than getting, it's how you actually know you have enough. Good on you man, keep it going.

I do a fun thing for my birthday with my kids...we go out to dinner and buy someone else's dinner, I have the kids hand them a note just saying: "Today is my birthday, and as I've gotten older I realize it is better to give than to receive. If this blesses you and you didn't need it, feel free to pass it on, if it did bless you, I hope you enjoyed your dinner"
The kids love it😁

OHJeeper

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 JTR, '08 JKUX, '08 JKUS
..it's almost like we need a wave rulebook. Do you wave across medians? At a light? Interstate, side by side? Just passing on a two lane?? Not a serious question, just a funny observation 😂
That's funny, there are a number of threads here and on the JL, JK and other Jeep forums about this exact topic.

I just wave, I don't really think about it. I've been driving/building Jeeps since I was in high school. My dad taught me to wave and, like you said, back then it was rarer to see someone else on the road in a CJ or TJ than it is today to see JK's, JL's and JT's - they are every where. A lot of that "unique" culture is lost. Jeeps have become the new soccer mom min van 🤣

controller

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Gladiator Overland
Occupation
Computers
I'm not a fan. Not of the actual act, but keeping the ducks on the dash, etc. Not a fan of kitschy stuff on a vehicle. Makes me think of the Autozone or Pep Boys fake porthole or fake vent craze. However, my kids love the whole concept of ducking. So, I keep the last 5-6 on the dash, and a bunch under the back seat so the kids can duck a jeep when we're out.

As for waving, I used to ride a motorcycle, and there's a wave culture there, too. To me, the same rule applies: wave because you want to, and don't take it personally if they don't wave back.

Blade1668

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
90XJ, 91XJ, 91MJ, 05 LJ, 20 JT
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
I've thought about ordering a set of the unicorns for Broncos.
Now back to serious.
It's sometimes the small things that help. Depression can be crushing with seemingly no escape. Numerous times in the past I've had to battle with it. Since I'm retired now I don't have to worry about the crap that effect on my job.
With the "Jeep Wave" I normally wave, I it's just being friendly. It was funny to see how many people react being waved at by a cop.
Sponsored