Fox Rubicon Shocks

JamesJimmyD

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Jeep Gladiator, 95 Toyota DLX, 69 VW Beetle,
i just installed a set of Rancho RS7MT's and the ride is great, i use my gladiator as a daily driven truck not a lifted heavy use off road vehicle, i do light towing small boat, utility trailer, lumber and drywall, i have a 22 sport S 37000 miles
they are perfect for my needs and very reasonable
installed the RS77069 on the rear
installed the RS77063 on the front
i also installed Bilsteins steering stabilizer
all for less than 500.00
very satisfied with the selection for my purposes the truck drives better than new
Sponsored

SargeDiesel

First Name
michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon Diesel
Occupation
Retired Military
The OEM Fox shocks are based off of the retail version, but custom manufactured for Jeep. There is no direct correlation to a retail Fox version for comparison, and the custom specs are not available to the public for any comparison.

The lift kits were supposed to contain a retail version of the shocks. The diesel version of the lift kit was designed to accommodate the extra weight of the engine.

Seeing the changes over time in the shocks being used, either Fox and Jeep had a falling out or Jeep went looking for a less expensive option.
Thanks @Mr._Bill

SargeDiesel

First Name
michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon Diesel
Occupation
Retired Military
...guess it would help if I read the question first...

Other than color on the stock shocks, I believe the shock tube on the lift versions are 1/4 to 1/2 inches larger. This would obviously allow for more oil, but unsure of a valving difference.
😉

OP
OP

skiyaltr

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Galdiator
On installing the Bilstein 5100s , do the boots go up or down?

Jobofly

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU, 2022 JTM
I am thinking of the bilstein steering stabilizer for my Mojave. Any opinions on it?

Sponsored

BearFootSam

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22' Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Fed
The Fox Rubi shocks are weak to begin with. The best bang for the buck right now are the Bilstein 5100. You can get all 4 for $440 at Northridge.
I'm not sure they're weak but I think the Rubicon is under sprung and a little under damped for the payload rating. At 17k mine feel fine but like yesterday when I put 500lbs of water in the bed it gets bouncy. I'd take heavier springs as a fair trade off for a little rougher ride unloaded, but I'm almost always loaded with something.

When they need to be re-done I'm planning to look for some progressive or dual rate springs and a bit more robust shock like the 5100s. Thinking of airbags in the interim to feel it out given the reasonable price.

Rusty PW

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTRD, '11 370Z Nismo, '07 Honda VFR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Muff Diver
I'm not sure they're weak but I think the Rubicon is under sprung and a little under damped for the payload rating. At 17k mine feel fine but like yesterday when I put 500lbs of water in the bed it gets bouncy. I'd take heavier springs as a fair trade off for a little rougher ride unloaded, but I'm almost always loaded with something.

When they need to be re-done I'm planning to look for some progressive or dual rate springs and a bit more robust shock like the 5100s. Thinking of airbags in the interim to feel it out given the reasonable price.
The Rubi shocks are under dampened. You will notice the difference with the 5100's.

JamesJimmyD

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I am thinking of the bilstein steering stabilizer for my Mojave. Any opinions on it?
easy install you will need to purchase a bolt due to the stock bolt having a special shank, i took the factory bolt into tractor supply purchased a grade 8 nut and bolt same size and length easy peasy install, i did need to wallo out the bolt mount hole just a little, works very well in comparison to the stock sport S model, there are some youtube vids out for install and reviews

Sponsored

Jobofly

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU, 2022 JTM
easy install you will need to purchase a bolt due to the stock bolt having a special shank, i took the factory bolt into tractor supply purchased a grade 8 nut and bolt same size and length easy peasy install, i did need to wallo out the bolt mount hole just a little, works very well in comparison to the stock sport S model, there are some youtube vids out for install and reviews
Thanks for the tip. How about the performance of it. Is it a good steering stabilizer?

JamesJimmyD

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for the tip. How about the performance of it. Is it a good steering stabilizer?
i have a sport S with 37000 miles so it was a big improvement for me, not sure how it would be with low mile jeep or equipped with fox
Sponsored