Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Since the Draw-tite doesn't come with brackets to hold the bottom or rear of that plastic air dam, is it just hanging there now? That metal behind it is what held the rear of that thing up. When you install the Draw-Tite there's no bracket back there to hold the rear/bottom of that air dam up.
The difference with a Rubicon or even my Overland with the steel skid plate is that where that hitch bolts on there are nuts in the frame and brackets for the skid plat that hold the rear of the skid plate up, bolt it tight in place. That takes up space and the receiver will no longer fit between the frame rails. No worries in your case as you don't have skid plate brackets OR the "rivnuts" in the frame that hold the brackets for the skid plate. Those nuts have a thick flange that when combined with the skid plate bracket take up enough space the receiver no longer fits between the frame rails.
Sponsored

Summitsearcher

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Stingrey JTR
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Since the Draw-tite doesn't come with brackets to hold the bottom or rear of that plastic air dam, is it just hanging there now? That metal behind it is what held the rear of that thing up. When you install the Draw-Tite there's no bracket back there to hold the rear/bottom of that air dam up.
The difference with a Rubicon or even my Overland with the steel skid plate is that where that hitch bolts on there are nuts in the frame and brackets for the skid plat that hold the rear of the skid plate up, bolt it tight in place. That takes up space and the receiver will no longer fit between the frame rails. No worries in your case as you don't have skid plate brackets OR the "rivnuts" in the frame that hold the brackets for the skid plate. Those nuts have a thick flange that when combined with the skid plate bracket take up enough space the receiver no longer fits between the frame rails.
This metal piece was cut out in the center leaving 2 inches so the mount holes on each side connecting to the frame and in my case the air dam is still fully supported. I’ll send a pic. This brush guard is standard on my truck and available for 13.00 online. It is stamped metal. I retained the attachment points for the air dam using the ends as form fitting brackets making room for the mount And maintaining rigidity for the air dam. Once I put on rubicon skid plates it should do the same. Minus rivnuts because mine are currently plastic push pins. Diagram for a rubicon is different, I use the brush guard and you don’t have it On yours. When I took it to the dealer today they complimented the setup. The receiver takes the place of the brush guard And keeping the mounting places for the air dam

Jeep Gladiator Front hitch receiver 7CAF3986-6ED5-4910-BEF7-09B3C518EBC7

56264F02-BD37-45A0-82D4-A2537B2D13D3.jpeg

D7FFB7A6-470D-40E5-A55A-6A78F8486B8C.jpeg

Last edited:

jeepin48

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Overland 3.0L
Occupation
Engineer
Digging up old topics....... Is there any reason why I couldn't use the Curt 31086 to pushing my 28ft camper back inside the garage?

500lb tongue weight is over the rating for this mount, but I will not be moving fast and my front suspension will probably be on the bump stops also.

A 2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTRD, 2020 JLU
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Construction
Digging up old topics....... Is there any reason why I couldn't use the Curt 31086 to pushing my 28ft camper back inside the garage?

500lb tongue weight is over the rating for this mount, but I will not be moving fast and my front suspension will probably be on the bump stops also.
If you take it slow and you refrain from over turning the steering, it should be fine. I did the same with my JT on a much smaller trailer but found this little guy gets it into tighter spaces.

CB47EDAB-B44B-4D70-AAFF-2CF54B65D319.jpeg

Sponsored

JoseQ_80

First Name
Jose
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport 80th Anniversary Bright White
Occupation
Highway Engineer

I think this is the way I'm going to go for a winch mount, why limit it to the front of the truck, this way you can use it in the rear of the truck to pull yourself out of snow or sand, etc. Plus you can leave it off the truck when you are not wheeling.

unixxx

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Mojave, Grand Cherokee SRT
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Engineer
I think I am going to contact Curt about those brackets. It's stupid to think the other company figured it wasn't important. I mean Curt provides brackets and Jeep secures the thing with a metal backing behind it with screws. Two companies, Jeep and Curt, believe it needs support - one doesn't. I believe it needs support - instead of hanging by plastic fasteners to be caught on stuff or bounce and crack from stress.
By looking at the hitch, you can tell the Curt has some thought put into its design. Its receiver tube is high for more ground clearance and gusseted top and bottom presumably for winching side loads, its mounting bolt locations (one top, one middle, one bottom) allow less cutting from the Rubicon and Mojave skid plate brackets, and it includes air dam brackets.

It used to be only gusseted at the top or the bottom.

Jeep Gladiator Front hitch receiver IMG_5106

Last edited:

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
That's a complete design change as far as the 2" receiver tube itself.

As far as height, that's no different than DrawTite. They all have the tube sitting in that area. It's the bar behind the receiver tube that sits differently and that doesn't matter a lick because the skid plate and other parts sit a whole lot lower. If you are bumping the receiver, you are banging up other parts in most cases. If you bang up the bar, you are absolutely banging up other parts of the truck.

Jeep Gladiator Front hitch receiver 20210516_163221_HDR

unixxx

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Mojave, Grand Cherokee SRT
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Engineer
That's a complete design change as far as the 2" receiver tube itself.

As far as height, that's no different than DrawTite. They all have the tube sitting in that area. It's the bar behind the receiver tube that sits differently and that doesn't matter a lick because the skid plate and other parts sit a whole lot lower. If you are bumping the receiver, you are banging up other parts in most cases. If you bang up the bar, you are absolutely banging up other parts of the truck.

20210516_163221_HDR.jpg
There does seem to be about an inch difference in height if you look at side by side pics from etrailer.

Curt Installed

Curt Front Mount Trailer Hitch Receiver - Custom Fit - 2"

Jeep Gladiator Front hitch receiver Curt Installed

Draw-Tite Installed

Draw-Tite Front Mount Trailer Hitch Receiver - Custom Fit - 2"

Jeep Gladiator Front hitch receiver Draw-Tite Installed

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Dunno what they did, but I have had both. The DrawTite was installed with my original plastic bumper, then when I swamped bumpers I have to move to the Curt to get my winch plate to bolt up as the DrawTite used some of the holes I needed.
Mine never sat lower and I even had them laying end-to-end comparing how the receiver tube would sit.
Looks like on etrailer it's different vehicles, different bumpers, maybe???

Jeep Gladiator Front hitch receiver front-hitch

Sponsored

JPAK

First Name
JP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport Gator
Occupation
Jack Of All Trades, Master Of None
I haven't seen anyone mention this spec yet, maybe I missed it. Thoughts????

CurtVsDT.png

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I've easily exceeded the 350 pounds - moving my car hauler around. Granted, not be hundreds of pounds, but I've been at 500+
Can't see why they are listing such low numbers - but then most people are mounting these as way to maneuver trailers around or for a rescue point for a pull and won't have the weight bearing down on them anyway. All receivers have a max tongue weight, usually more than 500 pounds.
A receiver mount snow plow likely won't exceed those numbers, they are pretty light.

Check the max tongue weight on rear receivers, including the MOPAR one on these trucks - I bet it's only about 600 pounds, tops. Some will be less.

Muldoon

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 gladiator rubicon
Occupation
welder/ maintenance tech
so can anyone tell me why neither curt or draw tite will mount on a rubicon or mojave ? is it because of the auto sway bar disconnect or the metal skid plate. I have no problem modifying either hitch or skid plate, have been welding and fabricating for 40 years and work with mechanical engineers so mods are no problem.

Jaxmax

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps....... 2021 Mojave , 2019 Wrangler
Occupation
Electrical Manager
I have a Curt front receiver on my Mojave, which was not that hard to do, had to trim a small triangular piece off each shock remote brackets , and had to cut a perhaps three X six inch piece out of skid plate. I think I did a good job ,spent hours trimming the skid plate but in end you have to end up with a big square cut out, I did paint my skid plate black and it does not show up at all. You sound like you will be able to have it end up looking better then mine. I cannot speak for the Rubicon sway bar disconnect. I’m sure both manufacturers have to say they don’t fit as it is work to cut skid plate……Jack

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
so can anyone tell me why neither curt or draw tite will mount on a rubicon or mojave ? is it because of the auto sway bar disconnect or the metal skid plate. I have no problem modifying either hitch or skid plate, have been welding and fabricating for 40 years and work with mechanical engineers so mods are no problem.
Maybe the sway bar disconnect ? because I have the steel bumper and steel skid plate on my Overland..........

Jeep Gladiator Front hitch receiver front-hitch

Jeep Gladiator Front hitch receiver 20220113_134206
Sponsored